As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Using remote desktop, or something similar to safely browse the internet on a win98se box.

MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
I'm setting up a 800mhz p3 box running win98se for old dos/early windows games. I'd like a way to browse the internet without getting every virus at once.

I've tried remote desktop/ultravnc for other things, mainly maintaining a windows xp htpc or a linux fileserver, but even on gigabit lan its really slow screen refresh wise.

Is there a good option for doing this?

Also how can I give this 98 box access to the local network but not know about the internet? My main router might have something to do it but im at work and not sure. I also have an old linksys wrt running dd-wrt that I could hook it up to.

camo_sig2.png
Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Any reason you aren't using dosbox to run those games on your main rig?

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    I collect old consoles and games and enjoy playing them on original hardware. I realize this is a bit blurry with pc games but dos box just doesn't feel right to me.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dosbox is..less than perfect at times, particularly with higher-end games that relied on taking assets from disc or were heavy on effects. I don't know what kind of voodoo the guys at GoG.com pull.

I guess the most extreme thing you could do is create a small, separate partition with its own OS, and just boot into that. Nuke it if you run into any issues.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Madpanda wrote: »
    Also how can I give this 98 box access to the local network but not know about the internet? My main router might have something to do it but im at work and not sure. I also have an old linksys wrt running dd-wrt that I could hook it up to.

Simply remove the default gateway in the ip settings on the 98 box and it'll never get past the lan.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Madpanda wrote: »

Simply remove the default gateway in the ip settings on the 98 box and it'll never get past the lan.

That's what I did for my Win98 box. Regarding running old games. For some cases original HW is still needed. Example: Early DOS based 3DFX Glide games, or devices which require a serial / game port.

Dratatoo on