As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Echo smash puny headset!

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
So I appear to have completely broken my headset - the USB dongle at the end snapped and is busted.

So I need a new one.

What I'd prefer:

- Good sound quality
- A microphone

I don't require a headset with a microphone, this time around I'm considering looking for good sound quality (the last one was strictly average), and getting a separate desk microphone if there's no headset with both nice sound and a mic.

My last one was a Logitech Clearchat Pro, so that one's out.

Recommend on!

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2013
    Steelseries Siberia v2.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2

This is without you having given any information on budget.

I bought these a few months ago and they are the best purchase I have made in a while - I'm no audiophile, but they sound good, the microphone is nicely coiled away when not in use, and most importantly for headphones on a nerd, THEY ARE SO COMFORTABLE OMG

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Hmm, not too expensive. I'll look into those.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    For the best headset, I'd go with the Sennheiser PC 350. Excellent mic, great sound. Only drawback is the price.

Or you could go for the Astro A40s, which are also have an excellent mic, are seriously comfortable, and have better-than-average sound. With the mixamp, they will do anything you could ever ask (I especially like being able to control the ratio of game-chat to voice-chat).

For the best SOUND, go with a dedicated headphone. For example, I use my Sennheiser HD 558s and a Zalman clip-on mic. The HD 558s are cheaper than PC350, and sound just as good. And the Zalman mic (while not as good as the PC350 or Astro mic) is adequate, and cheap enough that if it breaks, I'm not worried.

Any good headphone will work: Audiotechnica, Sennheiser, Beyerdynamic. The Audiophile Thread over in Moe's has lots of good suggestions.

• Options
    Oh, one more thing: USB preferred, but by no means required.

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Going to echo the Sennheisers, PC360s are great and lasted me a long time. The astros are OK but you need an optical out to get the most of the mixamp.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A nice pair of circumaural headphones and a quality USB desktop microphone will do you right. If you're using the headphones for gaming, you'll want something than can pump out a goodly amount of bass, like the Sony XB500s. And Logitech make a nice little desk mic that costs about $14 that I have seen recommended in many other threads.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i have a plantronics gamecom 780 and like it a lot. pretty cheap tpp

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    I'll be upfront, I pretty much just use headphones to listen to audiobooks while I walk my dog and for vent, I'm not a huge audiophile. I use these.

They're actually bluetooth, and they pair very easily and quickly. I hop them around between my phone and my tablet and PC with no issues at all. They sound fine to me, and my husband says the mic is clear for calls and vent. If your PC doesn't have bluetooth getting a dongle may be more trouble than you want to go through but I like em.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Steelseries Siberia v2.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-siberia-v2

This is without you having given any information on budget.

I bought these a few months ago and they are the best purchase I have made in a while - I'm no audiophile, but they sound good, the microphone is nicely coiled away when not in use, and most importantly for headphones on a nerd, THEY ARE SO COMFORTABLE OMG

Was visiting a friend today and she actually had these, so I gave them a listen.

Yeah, that's definitely a huge step up in quality compared to my old headset. I think I'll settle for these. Thanks, everyone.

This discussion has been closed.