As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[TRENCHES] Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - Homocide

GethGeth LegionPerseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
edited May 2013 in The Penny Arcade Hub
Homocide

Homocide
http://trenchescomic.com/comic/post/homocide

Getting Upstairs

Anonymous

When I was in college I used to work in a big studio’s QA department during summer breaks. The building we were in was situated where QA lived on the 3rd floor and all development and management were on the 4th and 5th floors.  As a result regular QA rarely ever met with or talked to the developers, and it felt very much like we were not part of the team.

This was the top shared concern among QA employees when the company was taking input on the designs for it’s new building.  We must have made an impression because the next summer we were moved to a cheap used warehouse down the street while the Dev teams got a new building built specifically for them. 

Go Team!

Geth on

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    I feel a lot like the middle panel when my wife goes on one of her terrible country music binges for a while.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    NijhazerNijhazer Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Is there a reason this strip is titled "Homocide"?

Either this is a typo, or there's a reference here that I am very much missing.

• Options
    The guy dying in the middle panel I would say :-D

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Homicide not Homocide.

• Options
    I didn't even pick up on that.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I think it's an accent thing.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I'm really liking the strips lately. It's gotten quite a bit better this season.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    HunterZHunterZ Registered User regular
    Story is a rerun of last week's. I was just getting used to Geth not being off by one story again, and now they messed it up by not posting a new one in time.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Yeah, wonder where the new story is... *shrug*

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    AugusteAuguste Registered User regular
    I'm realllllly trying to avoid the conclusion that the strip title is calling Tim McGraw's music "gay."

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Auguste wrote: »
    I'm realllllly trying to avoid the conclusion that the strip title is calling Tim McGraw's music "gay."
    It isn't, so that should be easy to do.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    The video is 21 minutes? Is that just one song? They're a little over halfway into it, and the man seems to be dying at that point. What is the video of, exactly?

Ah, now eventually you do plan to have game development in your... in your game development comic, right? Hello?

forty on
  • Options
    HunterZHunterZ Registered User regular
    They've posted a "new" story, but it's actually just a rerun of 5/23's story with a 5/28 date.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    A duck! wrote: »

A southern accent would be "homacide."

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I went to the Trenches home page to read the new story for today, but it turns out the 5/28 story is a repost of the 5/23 story.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    A duck! wrote: »

A souther accent would be "homacide."

Depends

You can draw a marked delineation between a "Georgian" and "Louisianan" accent, and I can think of at least three or four really distinct Louisianan accents off the top of my head, and those are just the ones used by white folk

But I think this is more of a "Haha, people who listen to country are dumb and pronounced it 'homocide'" sorta joke

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Ok I think I get it, I guess homocide could read as the way dumb northerners think dumb southerners talk.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    So we're still doing the Tim McGraw thing huh.

I feel like Mike/Jerry/Scott don't actually know anything about country music and just used Tim McGraw as the example because he's the only name they could think of. Tim McGraw doesn't do the patriotic 'Murrica music thing so much. (At least he didn't the last time I was regularly exposed to country music...which was high school so who knows.) He's horrible, but in a somewhat different way.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    They probably have to use Tim McGraw because it's a recognizable name. Maybe they figure no non-country fan would even get what they're talking about if they used Darryl Worley instead.

Although for the trucks 'n' beers motif they could have maybe gone with Alan Jackson (is he still around?) since Chattahoochie is a somewhat well-known country song.

But yeah if I really think about it Tim McGraw is pretty far on the pop end of country, no where near the level of truck abscess of many other country musicians.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Tim McGraw is weird, one track he's down home country, the next he's pop country. Then patriotic (not Toby Keith levels of Murrica though) and after that' it's a song with Nelly. I actually like a few of his songs, but I avoid him for the most part. Generally too poppy for me, I'll stick with my Strait and Church.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    They probably have to use Tim McGraw because it's a recognizable name. Maybe they figure no non-country fan would even get what they're talking about if they used Darryl Worley instead.

Although for the trucks 'n' beers motif they could have maybe gone with Alan Jackson (is he still around?) since Chattahoochie is a somewhat well-known country song.

But yeah if I really think about it Tim McGraw is pretty far on the pop end of country, no where near the level of truck abscess of many other country musicians.

You know, I never did know how much that muddy water meant to me.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Tim McGraw is weird, one track he's down home country, the next he's pop country. Then patriotic (not Toby Keith levels of Murrica though) and after that' it's a song with Nelly. I actually like a few of his songs, but I avoid him for the most part. Generally too poppy for me, I'll stick with my Strait and Church.

George Strait is the best.

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Trenches thread, you got me listening to some old George Strait classics. He's the only man alive who can make Amarillo seem romantic.

Cambiata on
  • Options
    Oh Jesus I had forgotten about Daryl Worley. You want to talk about shitty Murrica music. He is the worst.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Oh Jesus I had forgotten about Daryl Worley. You want to talk about shitty Murrica music. He is the worst.

Have you forgotten, Gaslight? Have you forgotten?

• Options
    Well, I walked into that one I suppose.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I wanna check this thread for ticks, I love it so much.

What is this I don't even.