As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

2013 Canadian Supertrip?

Griever92Griever92 Calgary, Alberta, CanadaRegistered User regular
I remembered that back for PAX '10 there was a fairly sizable group which organized/participated in a 'group' road trip, originating from multiple locations north of the border.
(as seen in the following thread)
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/115776/2010-canadian-supertrip/p1

Excerpt from Source Post:
The Canadian SuperTrip, or CST, is divided by stops known as Waypoints. A waypoint is our official stop to meet up with other Supertrippers along the route. Most waypoints are located where gas, snacks and washrooms are nearby. Each waypoint is allotted some time for members to get out and stretch their legs, giving everyone a short break. Supertrippers fall into two groups, Drivers and Passengers. Passengers, you are responsible for finding a ride and making your way to the waypoints. Payment comes in the form of your share of gas. Specifics can be arranged with the driver of your vehicle. We drive together in a caravan, keeping the group together between waypoints. The longer the line of cars, the more impressive this whole effort becomes.

So I wanted to extend an olive branch and see if anyone is looking at setting something like this up, or even participating in such a thing.
My current plans are that i'll be driving out from Calgary starting Wednesday afternoon and stopping overnight in BC (likely in Kelowna).
I'll be continuing the journey to PAX on Thursday with a friend and expect to end up in Seattle sometime Thursday evening.
However, plans are flexible, especially this far in advance and it would be pretty awesome to travel down as a convoy and meet some other PAXers before throwing caution to the wind and storming the expo floor.

Previously Attended: ~Prime '10 ~East '11
Prime '13 : 4 Day Badge [✓] Hotel [✓] Patience [  ]

• Options
    PocketJellyPocketJelly Fraser Valley, British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    I would love to except that we already have a group of 8 going so our vehicle(s) are most likely to be full up! xD

• Options
    PerfectLizardPerfectLizard Edmonton, Alberta, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sounds awesome. I already booked my flight, though :(

Road trips are always fun.

• Options
    GeoffTanGeoffTan Vancouver, British Columbia, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would love to see this come through Vancity. Though Like @PocketJelly we got a group of 8 going in 2 cars so we're full up as well.

It would be nice to have the convoy go through Peace Arch though. It would be 5 cars are this point? 2 with me, 2 with PocketJelly and 1 with Griever92. Still pretty cool imho.

• Options
    KwiyuKwiyu Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Aw man, too bad my group is going a few days earlier... Otherwise we would have loved to join in.

• Options
    JadensmithJadensmith Lurker Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    I have a few cars heading down probably from Abbotsford early on the Thursday. We stop at the AFK tavern in Everret we would be happy to join slash meet up on the way down.

• Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    I think people are misunderstanding the concept of the thread... it's not people asking for rides necessarily. It's more people coordinating their trip together into one massive group travel.

Anyway, I know the people who usually set this thread up/participate/coordinate and I have not seen any of them on the forums yet this year which is odd.
    Makes me think perhaps all of them missed out on tickets or something?
    @bowser @sumi @tr0tsky @wormdundee etc etc... where you all at?

I'd offer to head up this thread as a replacement but not sure I would have enough time for this AND the custom dice...
    Got a new job and have a lot less free time now.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    nrrdgrrlnrrdgrrl Registered User regular
    There's a couple of us leaving Terrace, we'll be stopping by Prince George and then camping our way down south. We might have room in our vehicle for a person or two.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Ah, I'd love to do something like this one year, but my group from Calgary is already heading over to Vancouver far earlier in the week to do some stuff there before PAX.

• Options
    DaedaleusDaedaleus Registered User regular
    i did the supertrip in 09 and 10, but it hasnt been organized the past few years. I plan to drive out again this year and would participate in the super trip if there is interest. i will be aiming to arrive early afternoon on thursday

I live out in edmonton now, but i might be visiting kelowna just before pax so im not sure where i am leaving from yet. probably kelowna so that i dont have to do such a long drive all at once.

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Hey Guys - if you want this added to the Event sticky, somebody give me some days and times so it can be listed (like the West Coast Train Trip).

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Thanks Lex, I think right now though it's more of a discussion as to whether we're even setting this up or not.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    Griever92Griever92 Calgary, Alberta, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Oh awesome, looks like there's been some response to this over the past week.
    @Serenity is absolutely right, the concept for this wasn't necessarily for people to hitch rides (although, if say someone had room in their vehicle and the person seeking a ride could make it to a 'meet-up' point for a pickup, I imagine they would be welcome to join)
    For the moment i'm just inquiring as to what the community interest is in this as there is still a few months to work on organizing.

I was hoping to collect some feedback from people who'd like to help get this idea get off the ground (and who are driving obvs)
    Where are you coming from?
    What route are you planning on taking?
    What day/time do you plan to leave/arrive?
    Which border crossing were you looking at clearing through?
    How much are you willing to deviate from your 'original' plan in order to join up with the 'caravan'?
    (we would attempt to make the deviation as minimal as possible, if it's even necessary)

Using this, it should be relatively easy to put together a general idea of where meetup points should be setup along the routes.
    It would also be useful in determining where each 'region' of travelers would begin their journey.
    For example. Anyone leaving from Calgary could meetup in Canmore and continue as a group from that point. I'd like to try and keep the 'start' points from being inside an urban center so as to avoid (as much as possible) anyone being left behind/having to catch up, due to a traffic light.

Griever92 on
    Previously Attended: ~Prime '10 ~East '11
    Prime '13 : 4 Day Badge [✓] Hotel [✓] Patience [  ]
  • Options
    Griever I know in past years the organizers assigned 'area experts' or people who live in areas they didn't to figure out the meetup points and times.

It's easier that way because then you don't have Vancouverites trying to plan a Calgary route and vice-versa.

As for me:
    Where are you coming from? Vancouver (or Maple Ridge more specifically)
    What route are you planning on taking? Lougheed Highway > Hwy 1 > Hwy 99
    What day/time do you plan to leave/arrive? Wednesday Aug 29 - 10am-ish
    Which border crossing were you looking at clearing through? Aldergrove Crossing
    How much are you willing to deviate from your 'original' plan in order to join up with the 'caravan'? Not by much but if it's the same day, sure.

Thanks for organizing this :-)
    I've missed this event.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    PocketJellyPocketJelly Fraser Valley, British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I am unsure yet about the time of day my group will be leaving, but I am hoping to not be as late as last year (2am... o.O)

Where are you coming from? Fraser Valley (Main portion of group from Agassiz, and some from Chilliwack, Surrey, and Vancouver.
    What route are you planning on taking? Hwy 1 > BC-11/Sumas Way > WA-9/WA-544/WA-542 > I-5
    What day/time do you plan to leave/arrive? Thursday, Aug. 29 in the afternoon/evening (time is unknown atm)
    Which border crossing were you looking at clearing through? Abbotsford (Sumas) Crossing
    How much are you willing to deviate from your 'original' plan in order to join up with the 'caravan'? Most of us will be working the day of the 29th still, so as long as it's after that on the same day it's fine.

PocketJelly on
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    We generally stopped organizing it because of the inception of Bolt Bus and the majority of us being within 20-30 minutes of PacCentral. Being on the bus meant that everybody could participate in handheld gaming etc., whereas a car means the driver can't really do anything but drive (which is important!). It also means free wifi and a much cheaper cost.
    The train is even better than the bus but it of course costs more.

• Options
    janellembcjanellembc B.C., CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Being an hour and a half away from Vancouver is the only reason we choose not to take the bus or train unfortunately.

janellembc on
  • Options
    yeah whether i leave from edmonton or kelowna bus or train isnt really an option.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Damn bed rest!! I wish I had been on to see this post earlier! We have flights booked with Airmiles from Edmonton all ready! Sounds like a fun idea! Hope you guys can get it together. I know last year when we took the train it was so much fun seeing/meeting all the PAXers.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    GrimWulfGrimWulf Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Booked with Airmiles headed out of Edmonton ourselves. Unless Fenris is who I'm travelling with.... but then I'd have to beat said person for using that as a nick name...

But I'm sure Fenrisfang is much cooler.

GrimWulf on
  • Options
    i was curious about taking the train, and i just checked VIA rail prices for a round trip to vancouver and back (not even to seattle). 470 bucks... not what i was expecting. its cheaper to drive.

• Options
    FenrisfangFenrisfang Edmonton, AB, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Daedaleus wrote: »
    i was curious about taking the train, and i just checked VIA rail prices for a round trip to vancouver and back (not even to seattle). 470 bucks... not what i was expecting. its cheaper to drive.

Have a look from Bellingham, just on the other side of the boarder. Was WAY cheaper, saved on parking as it is around $30/day or more depending on where you are staying in Seatlle and you get the fun of meeting people on the train going down. That's what the hubby and I did last year when we were coming from that area.

PAX Tickets: check!
    Hotel Booked: check!
    Sitter for the kids: check!
    Excitement level rising: check, check and triple check!
  • Options
    kestrelbeekestrelbee Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    Daedaleus wrote: »

Have a look at Amtrak. They've reduced their prices quite a bit. It's about $60 roundtrip per person. The train goes from Station Central to downtown Seattle. If you want even cheaper, there's Bolt Bus.

• Options
    JadensmithJadensmith Lurker Surrey, BCRegistered User regular
    If you are taking a bus becareful of "greyhound". The Canada office and US office don't talk to each other. When we took it a couple years ago they ended up being a bus and a half oversold. It was a nightmare trying to get back home.

• Options
    rkenshinrkenshin Registered User regular
    With the recent bridge collapse on the I-5 heading down to Seattle from Vancouver, is it going to be fixed in time for PAX weekend?

• Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Oh crap what happened? That would make the trek to Seattle a bit tougher / longer if we gotta take an alternative route

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    From what I hear there are alternative routes.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Oh crap what happened? That would make the trek to Seattle a bit tougher / longer if we gotta take an alternative route

It's the bridge immediately south of Burlington. There's supposed to be a temporary bridge up in June, and there are plenty of routes around the collapse. Plan on a worst-case 30-60 minute delay at the very heaviest peak traffic times. A family member of mine made it through the detour zone with zero schedule impact a few days ago while travelling at 7:am.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Chuck Liddell FanChuck Liddell Fan Registered User regular
    Oh OK I was thinking it'd be a major pita detour. Is everyone OK from the bridge collapse?

Oh my goodness
    Oh my Dayum
    Oh my goodness
    They goin' Ham
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh OK I was thinking it'd be a major pita detour. Is everyone OK from the bridge collapse?

From what I read, there were only minor injuries sustained.

• Options
    yeah luckily nobody got hurt with this...
    Also I would suspect they would at least have a sustainable temporary bridge up by end of August anyway.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    sheldyxsheldyx Registered User regular
    i live in Burlington/mount Vernon and sometimes there is around 5 to 10 mins delay maximum (sometimes there is not traffic at all) so if for some reason they didnt finish the bridge by then u guys shouldnt worry about anything ^^

• Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    Maetrix and I are travelling from Richmond, going down Wednesday but don't know if we're going via train, bus, or driving via Peace Arch/176 (Nexus.) Basically, I know nothing and we suck at pre-planning.

• Options
    SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    I'm here. What Worm said.

Standard Action, it's a webseries.