Options

PoP Email help (probably very easy)

zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
edited August 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Greetings!

I'll try and explain this as simple as possible...

I have a desktop computer, which I am getting rid of.
I have a notebook computer, which I am keeping.

The desktop accesses my X @comcast.net PoP email account through MSoutlook.
The notebook accesses my Y @comcast.net PoP email account through MSoutlook.

Since I am ditching the desktop, I need to somehow configure my notebook to not only access it's default email account (Y), but also that of the desktop's (X).

I don't have any idea how to do this.

Furthermore, how will this be handled in MSoutlook?
Will I have emails to both accounts showing up in a single outlook view? Or will I have to somehow open outlook and change a toggle to switch between each of the 2 accounts?

Thanks in advance for help on what to do here!
Remember - use small words and very clear instructions.
Assume I am a computer idiot that barely knows how to turn the system on.

zhen_rogue on

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    1. I have not used Outlook in a long time, but this should be possible.

2. There is a menu option somewhere to configure accounts. You want to add a second account, with the information from the other POP account.

3. In one of the tabs on the account information dialog, there will be an option to leave messages on the server, or leave messages on the server for X days. Without turning these on, downloading a message from a POP account generally deletes that message from the server. That means when the other mail client goes to check the same account, the message will already be gone. I recommend setting up both computers to leave messages on the server for 14-30 days. That way, as long as you check mail on both machines at least once every X days, you will get all your mail in both places. You don't want to generally leave messages there forever, because they tend to pile up.

4. I believe there is also a configuration option that lets you specify where you want the mail delivered. I like all my mail in one place so I have it all sent to Inbox (my default). If it is not a configuration option in the account setup dialog, you can make a filter. This is slightly more complicated.

DrFrylock on
  • Options
    embrikembrik Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    DrFrylock wrote: »
    3. In one of the tabs on the account information dialog, there will be an option to leave messages on the server, or leave messages on the server for X days. Without turning these on, downloading a message from a POP account generally deletes that message from the server. That means when the other mail client goes to check the same account, the message will already be gone. I recommend setting up both computers to leave messages on the server for 14-30 days. That way, as long as you check mail on both machines at least once every X days, you will get all your mail in both places. You don't want to generally leave messages there forever, because they tend to pile up.

Unless I'm misreading something, I don't think the OP has to worry about this. He's not going to be checking account X from two devices, he's simply going to be checking two separate accounts from one program on only one device... unless I have that wrong...

In any case, I'm not too familiar with Outlook, but I do know Mozilla Thunderbird VERY well, and I use it to check five different email accounts. They all have separate inbox, sent, trash, etc views. When I send a message, I can choose which account it is sent from via a handy drop-down box (replies default to the account they were received from). Four of the five accounts are POP3, the other is IMAP. The whole thing runs beautifully.

And yes, you can import your mail and contacts into it (I believe it will even ask you if you want to when you install it)
    However, if you want to stick with Outlook, that's cool too. I know that multiple accounts aren't a problem, I just don't know how to configure it to split up your mail, but I'm sure someone here does.

embrik on
    "Damn you and your Daily Doubles, you brigand!"

I don't believe it - I'm on my THIRD PS3, and my FIRST XBOX360. What the heck?
  • Options
    zhen_roguezhen_rogue Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    embrik wrote: »
    Unless I'm misreading something, I don't think the OP has to worry about this. He's not going to be checking account X from two devices, he's simply going to be checking two separate accounts from one program on only one device... unless I have that wrong...

This is correct - two separate POP3 accounts, one program (outlook), one device.

zhen_rogue on