As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Show me my last posts.

DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
Unless I'm mistaken, when coming back to forum, you have to click on search, type your name (view by posts) and then submit to view all the last posts you made in current discussions.

Couldnt or shouldn't there be a faster way maybe somewhere on the main page to "show my recent posts" or something?

The only other way I know that is slower and that is hopign your name is somewhere there, clicking it to see your profile, then clicking "view all posts by this user".

If you name aint around, you're out of luck.

Deusfaux on

• Options
    ObbiObbi Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    Why would we need a faster version of this?

Obbi on
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Can you not remember the last thing you posted???

If not, I believe you can get e-mail notifications of replies.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Im working on something that might help, but for the most part I just use search

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    i use it because i participate in several active conversations at once.

Then I log out.

Then I need a way of finding my way back to all the places i left off.

Searching isn't that hard no. But that's silly logic. Having a button for G&T isn't necessary. We could all be expected to type in the address.
    We make it easier and streamlined because we can.

It would take out loading the initial search page as well.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    I hate to say it, but thats an awful example. Yes, index.php would speed up alot if it were a blank HTML page, but now I have essentially disabled the forums. The difference between the two is displaying forums on the index is a required feature, the ability to save yourself two clicks and typing your name in I consider to be non-essential.

It is something I will consider, but at this time :v: I dont think it merits being added to my todo list.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Can't you do it through the who's online button?

Wally on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Its a little awkaward to view your own profile (NOT edit), but once you get there, you can just click the find all posts link.

Alpha, might I suggest adding view profile either next to edit profile, or within the edit profile link? This would make it much easier to see your own profile, and therefore see your posts.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Ok, Ill add a view profile option in Edit Profile. It will take a little while though...

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    Ok, Ill add a view profile option in Edit Profile. It will take a little while though...
    All you have to do is find a post you've made and click on the profile button. I think this is extra work for nothing, ALpha.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Its at the bottom of my todo list, meaning it will get done in roughly two months.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    Its at the bottom of my todo list, meaning it will get done in roughly two months.
    touche'

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2004
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Unless I'm mistaken, when coming back to forum, you have to click on search, type your name (view by posts) and then submit to view all the last posts you made in current discussions.

Couldnt or shouldn't there be a faster way maybe somewhere on the main page to "show my recent posts" or something?

The only other way I know that is slower and that is hopign your name is somewhere there, clicking it to see your profile, then clicking "view all posts by this user".

Profile -> Find all posts by

A duck! on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2004
    touché

Fixed.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2004
    A duck! wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

Profile -> Find all posts by

Hey, way to repeat exactly what he said. :P

I wouldn't imagine it be all that hard to include a link to "view all my posts" on the profile-editing page.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    WallyWally Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Who's Online>Your Name>View All posts By

I do not see what the problem is.

Wally on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    "the problem", one could say, is the desire to emulate the old BBS technique of bookmarking your place in a thread and going straight back to that place on your return. It's fine and dandy to know the thread has new posts, but where the fuck do the ones that are new since your last look at the thread start? This is exacerbated in really large threads such as the G&T chat thread or the entire set of active threads in SE++.

I think the most desirable and useful version of this feature would be a "View New Posts" link at the top of each forum. This returns a list of threads with new posts that when you click on them it goes to the last post you read in that thread - not neccesarily the last post you wrote, but I think my idea is closer to the intent of this idea. This information is currently tracked by the boards (its the same information that is used to mark threads as with new posts), Alpha would just need to find a way to leverage it.

I've seen it on other boards, I think.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Ashley SparksAshley Sparks Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    you can just post, click your profile button, then "find all posts by..." :?

Ashley Sparks on
  • Options
    CainCain Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    you can just post, click your profile button, then "find all posts by..." :?

o rly

Cain on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    Just incase you people arn't aware. That little picture that shows up next to threads with new posts. Click it and it will take you to the first post you havn't seen.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    Ashley SparksAshley Sparks Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Just incase you people arn't aware. That little picture that shows up next to threads with new posts. Click it and it will take you to the first post you havn't seen.

cool

Ashley Sparks on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Wally wrote:
    Who's Online>Your Name>View All posts By

I do not see what the problem is.

OK so that is the best thing in the meantime.. by best meaning quickest. Three clicks aint bad I suppose....

By apotheos seems to understand what I'm saying.

We all have to do it in some form, if we arent online 24/7 and we have discussions that we like to follow and post in.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    Deusfaux wrote:
    We all have to do it in some form, if we arent online 24/7 and we have discussions that we like to follow and post in.

I still don't see the need. Unless you have forgotten which threads you were active in, just click the "unread posts" link.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Orthanc wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:

I still don't see the need. Unless you have forgotten which threads you were active in, just click the "unread posts" link.

so first we're assuming you remember every place you posted and want to return to to see responses. i doubt someone can do that for 10 threads in all sorts of places.

then you have to go to each forum and scan how many pages in till you find them. repeat for ecah thread.

I might have one lost 3 pages deep in GT since i last came on, some stuff in EE i forgot about etc etc etc.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Generaly speaking, I find that if I'm concerned enough about the discussion to come back, then when I see the name of the thread It reminds me.

For discussions that I don't visit often (G+T, EE for example) I use the "watch topic" to remind me to go back.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    If you do this often enough that you're bothering to ask for a feature, why not just bookmark http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/search.php?search_author=Deusfaux ? Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be a convenient feature, and there've been a couple times where I could have used it myself, but in the meantime you might just want to do that instead.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Smasher wrote:
    If you do this often enough that you're bothering to ask for a feature, why not just bookmark http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/search.php?search_author=Deusfaux ? Don't get me wrong, I think it'd be a convenient feature, and there've been a couple times where I could have used it myself, but in the meantime you might just want to do that instead.
    :^::^:

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    RocketScienceRocketScience Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    I'd also recommend the bookmark thing to people who insist we need a 'jump to forum' button.

RocketScience on
  • Options
    ToastToast Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    It would be kinda nice if the folder colour icon thing could have two extra states for each of the current ones: as is, indicating thread you haven't posted in, and say as is with a little black cross or dot in the corner indicating threads you have posted in. Nice. Not necessarily a good idea.

Toast on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    interesting ideas all around. im not being a bitch about this, just a suggestion. i think Wally's idea is the most convenient at this point. (or bookmarking, but I like my fave list quite trimmed)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    I'd also recommend the bookmark thing to people who insist we need a 'jump to forum' button.

From what I have seen, I was one of the few people who insisted on the Jump to Forum drop down list :P

All the other posts were about Jump To Page or some really useless buttons.

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Ok fine. Ill spill the beans. Im working on two phpBB mods that I will release for public use, the first is the p-sticky or personal sticky mod that lets users have a set number of stickies per forum and \ or a maximum for all the forums.

The second is much more time intensive, it involves a thread ranking system (not in the way you are thinking) and RSS feeds. The RSS feeds will be available in several formats, the ones Im pretty sure about are the reccomended threads, the ability to syndicate a forum, and the ability to 'watch' threads (this may or may not replace the current email based watch threads system).

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2004
    Orthanc wrote:

Holy Shit.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Well this is interesting.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/search.php?search_id=egosearch

There is actually a link to that on plain vanilia phpBB, it must have been taken out at some point.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    What is it, though?

Steven on
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    Steven wrote:
    What is it, though?

"EgoSearch" search for your own posts.

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    edited April 2004
    I saw you posts steven you post deleting bastard

Orthanc on
    orthanc
  • Options
    StevenSteven Registered User regular
    edited April 2004
    I don't know what you're talking about.

Steven on