Options

On Bannings and Forum Behavior and Kung Fu Men From Space

ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod.Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited August 2013 in Debate and/or Discourse
Many of you have likely noticed that spacekungfuman is no longer with us, having secured a permanent ban.

Most of you probably understand why this happened. Many of you probably don't, even if maybe you think you do. So let's talk about why skfm wasn't banned.

He was not banned because he expressed minority or unpopular opinions. We like minority opinions, because they make things more interesting than "So whatcha think about X? You too? Awesome! Hi-5!" Nobody ever has, or will, be punished or banned for having an unpopular opinion.

He was not banned because we were swayed by all of the people engaging him with hostility at every turn. You did not "drive him off". Whatever his faults, skfm was invariably polite and courteous, even as a bunch of you assholes attacked him at every turn, dragged him into discussions that he wasn't even in, and basically took every occasion to be giant fuckos. If the extent of the SKFM Problem had been that he had unpopular ideas and drew a bunch of attacks that cost the mod squad hours per day, I would happily keep him around and infract every last goddamn one of you forum crusaders. Truth be told, I have more respect for skfm than I do for a lot of the people who kept attacking him.

He was not banned because we didn't like him. At the core, he struck me as a fundamentally decent fellow. Several other mods felt the same. We don't run our forum as a popularity contest, and we never have (or will) base decisions like this on personal feelings. If we tossed out everyone we didn't personally like, the boards would look substantially different.

Why was he banned, then? Because he was either unwilling or unable - and even in the end, I'm not sure where the balance lies - to keep from dragging his most unpopular opinions into every thread he ever posted in. Even after extensive discussion with him, taking him at his word, he was incapable of not turning every thread into the SKFM Show. His net effect on the forums was starkly negative, and he was given many many MAANNNNNNY chances to rein it in. He was unable to do so. In the end, the mod staff must keep in mind the functionality of the forums. SKFM was getting in the way of that functionality. To put it in terms that SKFM might, himself, appreciate, he exhibited a repeated inability or unwillingness to play by the rules of our forum society, and was thus exiled.

I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't spend the next week hi-fiving yourselves about how awesome it is that he's gone. It's not awesome, it's unfortunate, even if it's ultimately the best thing for the forum. So, you know, try not to be dicks about the whole thing

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    This... isn't really the sort of thing that needs agrees and awesomes.

Geth, disable reactions in this thread.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. Disabling reactions in this thread.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Geth, set phasers to cook.

• Options
    GethGeth Legion Perseus VeilRegistered User, Moderator, Penny Arcade Staff, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Affirmative ElJeffe. Setting force level to 'medium'.

This discussion has been closed.