Options

Fine-point/Precision styli?

CogCog What'd you expect?Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to find a touchscreen capable stylus that has a pad that's actually smaller than my goddamn finger. Mostly for DrawSomething. I thought it wouldn't be hard to track one down, but I'm actually a bit surprised that 99% of the styli out there seem to be the same old big-ass-rubber-blob end. About the most promising things I've found so far are this Musemee stylus and this Adonit stylus, both of which have pretty mixed ratings.

Anyone have any others to throw in the ring, or any experience with either of these?

Cog on

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My husband just went through this only to be horribly disappointed that they just don't seem to exist. He is actually considering buying a tablet that comes with one just for the stylus.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    It boggles my mind that the only replacement for "finger" seems to be "stylus that is exactly the size and shape of your finger".

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited August 2013
    There is a reason for why styli for capacitive touchscreens are so large. The technology has a fairly poor resolution. If you make the styli too small the screen simply won't register anything.

I have that Adonit stylus and it's pretty good. It is definitely more accurate than the standard sponge styli. There are some issues with it, however. The joint that holds the disc is limited to a maximum angle of 45 degrees. It takes some practice to get used to this, as initially you might unintentionally choose a higher angle causing the disc to rise from the screen. You also need to make sure the disc is well cleaned so you're not scraping anything across the screen and so there's nothing interfering with the disc's conductivity.

Overall I think it's a great stylus. I think it would be overkill for Draw Something though, which has extremely imprecise tools (unless they've updated it since I last played). When I need something less precise, but better than my finger I use my Amazon stylus.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Overall I think it's a great stylus. I think it would be overkill for Draw Something though, which has extremely imprecise tools (unless they've updated it since I last played). When I need something less precise, but better than my finger I use my Amazon stylus.

I'm actually playing DrawSomething 2, which does have some rather precise tools, especially with the brushes at the lowest scale. It's roughly impossible to put in smaller detail, like eyes on a face, when the face is already just the size of my fingertip, or so. It often comes down to "stab blindly at the thing my finger entirely covers, hit undo, repeat for 5 minutes".

After much more searching, the two styli I linked seem to be roughly the only two in existence, and both run off the clear disc concept. Flipping a coin and going with one, I guess.

• Options
    Oh okay, I haven't played the sequel. Personally, I'd go with the Adonit if you didn't have any particular preference. I've never heard of the other stylus whereas Adonit is better established. You could also check to see which company is regarded as having the best customer service. If two products are similar enough then customer service is the next consideration.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    I have one of these:
    http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/detail.jsp?skuId=8735374&pid=1218890027553

It's definitely skinnier than a finger and does good detailing, but I don't know how it is in Draw Something (either version)

• Options
    Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    I'm in the market for one of these too, except for use scribbling notes in class on my ipad. I tried out that targus one and the bamboo of a similar design at a best buy a week or two ago and neither felt any different than the standard fat blob stylus.

Has anyone tried out the adonit or that other disc one with a screen protector? I'm fairly certain I don't have my shit together enough to keep a clean microfiber cloth around to make sure I don't sandpaper the screen of my ipad.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I don't use a cloth to clean the disc, I just use my fingers, works fine. I haven't tried the Adonit with a screen protector though.

• Options
    I have one of the Musemee Notier (it was cheaper and the reviews are pretty much identical) incoming, Prime should have it delivered tomorrow or so, I'll report back with my findings.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    I got my girlfriend one of these for Christmas last year. The tip is a disk about the size of typical styluses, but the contact point is a small dot inside the disk. If you look at the pictures you can see what I mean.

My girlfriend loves it for Draw Something on her Nexus 7, but she doesn't really do any more strenuous art than that.