As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Things to do before Expo Hall opens from 5am-10am

asleepypandaasleepypanda Registered User regular
edited August 2013 in PAX West
I plan to be Downtown most days (if not all) to grab breakfast and avoid the traffic. I'll probably be in line on Friday during that time but the other days likely not.

Other than places to eat, Pike Place Market and the Mall any suggestions on things to do within walking distance near Pike and the Convention Center?

EDIT: I live not TOO far from Seattle (Lynnwood Area) so I will be driving in.

fss.png
asleepypanda on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am going to be asleep ;)

Seriously though, there's not much to do that early in the day other than sleep and eat. Maybe take a nice walk?

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Somewhere around here is the foodie thread. You could spend that time finding the most unusual breakfast you can.

The hotel lobbies nearby also usually have gaming groups going at all hours.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I recommend sleep.

Do you know what the #1 secret weapon to dealing with PAX is? A kangaroo that punches everyone but you out cold.

But sleep comes in a very close second...

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    akjak wrote: »

The hotel lobbies nearby also usually have gaming groups going at all hours.

Stuff like this would be awesome! I just don't know any that plan to do it. I'll just watch the forums and twitter to see.

fss.png
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    I agree, I'll be sleeping and getting breakfast, then going to PAX...
    You could take a stroll down to the harbour though, might be something going on there early morning.

qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    We are on east coast time and usually up by 6 am pst. Our favorite thing to do is grab crumpets, tea and coffee from the crumpet shop and then sit by the waters edge. Also wander around down at pikes cause in the early morning it's very different than during the day. Other then that I have to agree not much going that early.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If you're up that early you might consider checking out the gym/pool of your hotel, or perhaps a morning ferry ride. My mornings will consist of a walk down to Pike's Place for coffee and breakfast, that's about it.

• Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    "Avoid the traffic" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh that's rich you have fun with that.
    One if your up that early probably going to be too tired to do much if any of the stuff in the evening. Very few places if any tourist places or malls will be open before 9am. So your plan will probably end up with you in some cafe for like 3 hours wondering why you came in so early. Lobby gaming does happen but like 5am not so much hell lobby gaming before the con is not something i really have ever seen aside from quick games of zombie dice while waiting for the most hungover person to finally get up. Do what you want to but honestly 5am is far too early to show up try 7am or 8 probably better times to show up.

<ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    We are on east coast time and usually up by 6 am pst. Our favorite thing to do is grab crumpets, tea and coffee from the crumpet shop and then sit by the waters edge. Also wander around down at pikes cause in the early morning it's very different than during the day. Other then that I have to agree not much going that early.

Pike is definitely on my plan for the morning! I've only been to Pikes in the afternoon so it would be fun to check out.
    Imsorad wrote: »
    If you're up that early you might consider checking out the gym/pool of your hotel, or perhaps a morning ferry ride. My mornings will consist of a walk down to Pike's Place for coffee and breakfast, that's about it.

Sadly I'm driving in (Live about 20min away) so no hotel. Coffee and breakfast is pretty certain. :)
    "Avoid the traffic" HAHAHAHAHAHAHA oh that's rich you have fun with that.

Things pickup around 7:30am-8am on weekends so I want to get in to avoid most of that before 6am. I hate driving in Seattle so I'd rather be early and bored than on time and angry.

asleepypanda on
    fss.png
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    You live 20mins away so why not take public transportation?

<ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I live in Lynnwood too! You can drive to Ash Way Park and Ride or Lynnwood Park and Ride (whichever one is closer to you) and take the 511 on Friday and Saturday and the 512 on Sunday and Monday. They will take you straight downtown. Get off at 5th and Pine and walk to the convention center. I make that ride A LOT.

• Options
    vgc wrote: »
    I live in Lynnwood too! You can drive to Ash Way Park and Ride or Lynnwood Park and Ride (whichever one is closer to you) and take the 511 on Friday and Saturday and the 512 on Sunday and Monday. They will take you straight downtown. Get off at 5th and Pine and walk to the convention center. I make that ride A LOT.

I'm doing that Thursday for some Pre-PAX stuff! Since we don't have a hotel we are taking our car on PAX days so we don't have to worry about catching the last bus (last buss back to Lynnwood is around 11 I think?) and have a place to stash our stuff. Thanks for the suggestion though!

fss.png
  • Options
    byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular
    Oh, stashing stuff in car....
    Please be careful where you park. I would suggest the manned/attended garages and not the surface lots. This way there are controlled access to vehicles and less likely of random break-ins (mind you it's not guaranteed). If you end up in the lots, please make sure it's in the trunk and NOTHING of value visible. Most lots don't have cameras for surveillance and they are all "park at your own risk".

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    byakuen wrote: »
    Oh, stashing stuff in car....
    Please be careful where you park. I would suggest the manned/attended garages and not the surface lots. This way there are controlled access to vehicles and less likely of random break-ins (mind you it's not guaranteed). If you end up in the lots, please make sure it's in the trunk and NOTHING of value visible. Most lots don't have cameras for surveillance and they are all "park at your own risk".

Oh yes, for sure!

fss.png
  • Options
    vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular

Thanks for mentioning this. I think I'll drive over to the MLT freeway station and take Sound Transit vs. Metro. It seems more straightforward and maybe we'll have a better experience than we've had on Metro.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    helen0rzhelen0rz Registered User regular

I'm in Texas, so last year when I went for the first time, waking up at 8am naturally was really weird but awesome at the same time!

48vla9t2j9ff.png
  • Options
    ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »

Thanks for mentioning this. I think I'll drive over to the MLT freeway station and take Sound Transit vs. Metro. It seems more straightforward and maybe we'll have a better experience than we've had on Metro.

i live less than 12 minutes away in seattle and still have to drive because of when i leave. we have no proper buses to get us home (besides the one that leaves every hour and gets me about 5 minutes from my house and are less reliable at night) so instead of waisting an hour and a half getting home it is way easier to just drive. just bear that in mind if you take the bus since the parties go pretty late into the night

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    At that hour you could go down to Steinbruek park and taunt the bums....?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options

I know a few people who probably would take that suggestion. o_o

fss.png
  • Options
    byakuenbyakuen Somewhere in SeattleRegistered User regular

I know a few people who probably would take that suggestion. o_o
    Beware of the bums, they can be... feisty. Add in the expected rain ( a first in a long while for PAX goers) and they can be surly! >_>

♥ Properly Pleased Participant of Past PAX PrimeWest: '10, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16
  • Options
    sdflacksdflack Registered User regular
    Visit Bruce Lee's Grave!
    Find the Fremont Troll!
    Go up the Columbia Tower!

• Options
    ctiwolf wrote: »

i live less than 12 minutes away in seattle and still have to drive because of when i leave. we have no proper buses to get us home (besides the one that leaves every hour and gets me about 5 minutes from my house and are less reliable at night) so instead of waisting an hour and a half getting home it is way easier to just drive. just bear that in mind if you take the bus since the parties go pretty late into the night

I have kids so we leave around 5 or whenever the little one gets whiny. :P

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    FourT2FourT2 SeattleRegistered User regular
    Hey Lynnwood people! I would normally offer to carpool, but I am attending with kids and need the flexibility to arrive and leave based on when they get too tired. And stashing stuff in the trunk of my car.

As far as things to do in early hours- maybe a walk along Alaskan way waterfront? Or just queue and socialize with fellow geeks.

pg1lub26cgqx.png
  • Options
    MasterHeliosMasterHelios Registered User regular
    I'm just gonna get breakfast at Lowell's in Pike Place Market, then line up for Molyneux around 9.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    お前はもう
    死んでいる
  • Options
    ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    vespachica wrote: »
    ctiwolf wrote: »

I have kids so we leave around 5 or whenever the little one gets whiny. :P

I brought my kids a few times and my wife was nice enough to pick them up at the whiny time

• Options
    I don't have a wife. :P ;-)

ufq9gj8383nh.png

• Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    Awww yeah Lynnwood represent!

But i agree being here early is much better than being in traffic, expecially with bumbershoot starting on Saturday.

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie