As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Multiple Rasp Pi's controlled by one wireless keyboard/mouse

Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm putting together a "wall of screens" for our operations center build-out here in a couple of weeks. We're going to have six, 42" or 46" lcd's, three on top of three. I am going to use a rasp pi for each screen. They will be displaying things like weather apps, and a few webpages. I've tested them to work with power from the usb from the tv themselves. I'm going to go with a wireless lan adapter, and possibly a bluetooth as well (maybe a combo). What I need advice on is how to manage each of these devices with one keyboard/mouse combo. I know I could just buy six keyboard/mouse combos (wireless or bluetooth) and just label them one for each screen. Or just have one and hook the adapter up to whatever screen I need to mess with. But these screens are going in our 24/7 ops center, and I want to make the management of these as easy as possible. I just want to see if anyone has any ideas on how to get this to work with just one.

Brucelee41042 on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Here's a good hardware approach, should work with USB:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817403060

Software approach:
    Install VNC Server on each pi, and remote in from a PC with VNC Viewer

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    Yeah, what do you need to do with them that you need actual screen control?

Personally I'd just remote in with terminal.

Blake T on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    Synergy ( http://synergy-foss.org/ ) and a KVM ( http://www.newegg.com/KVM-Switches/SubCategory/ID-143 ).

Synergy is a software solution, where you can pretend all your monitors are hooked up to just 1 computer, instead of 6 computers. That is, you can seamlessly move the cursor from one screen to the next, and whatever monitor the cursor is on, that's the computer that gets sent mouse clicks/key presses. I've been using Synergy at work for years, for 2 computers and 3 monitors, with just 1 keyboard/mouse.

But you still need that KVM switch. Every now and then, a software mouse/keyboard just doesn't cut it - the initial setup of Synergy is one of those cases - so you need the KVM to physically switch the keyboard/mouse under those situations. Note that Synergy is far more intuitive to use than a KVM, which is why the KVM is the backup method of interaction.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I was coming in here to recommend Synergy, but @hsu beat me to it. Haven't used it in a few years, but looks like it is still going strong!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Synergy will probably need a lot of work to get working on the pi because of the different architecture of the CPUs. May not be worth it over something like VNC.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Brucelee41042Brucelee41042 Registered User regular
    Yeah I like the VNC idea. I haven't used vnc viewer in a long time though. At the time we were using it to support customers over vpn tunnels and it was laggy and slow. But I'll test it out here now.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited September 2013
    No matter what, get a KVM. Even for VNC, there are times when you'll need a physically connected keyboard/mouse. Without the KVM, you'll be attaching/dettaching mouse/keyboard cords to deal with these cases.

The difference between VNC vs Synery is that VNC is a server solution, while Synery is a desktop solution.

That is, VNC assumes you have a separate machine, like a laptop, to administer the other 6 raspberry pi boxes. To administer all 6 pi boxes at the same time, you end up having 6 separate VNC sessions opened up on your laptop.

On the other hand, Synery assumes the 6 raspberry pi boxes are sitting on your desk, so the better paradigm is for all 6 boxes to behave as if they were a single box.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png