As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Limited Action Kids Game

fenchurchyfenchurchy Registered User regular
I know a stay at home mom of two girls is not the target demographic of this board, but I'm hoping someone will help me anyway. I'd really like to find a limited action game for my four year old daughter (think Legend of the Red Dragon). She doesn't need to be the target audience, but the game needs to start simple enough for her to grow into it. Non explicit violence is fine (like that in Monkey Island). I was hoping that an iOS game could be found, but they all seem to be focused on buying diamonds to speed progress rather than being happy with a slower pace. I'm happy to pay for a game, I just can't find one to buy. Our platforms are iOS and OSX (well, and OLPC, but I doubt that helps). My husband was thinking Oregon Trail might be good, but that's the best we've come up with.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I haven't played them myself, but my wife told me she loved the Nancy Drew adventure games. Dunno if those are available on iOS or will run on an OLPC, but might be worth looking into.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    fenchurchy wrote: »
    I know a stay at home mom of two girls is not the target demographic of this board

There is no target demographic besides "people who like games" or "people who want to talk to people who like games," along with "people who will be excellent to each other." Welcome aboard.

Oregon Trail might be good, so long as she has the comprehension for it. I was playing it at around 6 years old (a long time ago, I know). Give it a spin. Since you mentioned iOS devices, maybe consider games like Peggle, Cut the Rope, and Angry Birds. All of them require a bit of thinking and puzzling out solutions, but they let you work at your own pace. And, while there are in-app purchases available for some of them, for the most part these are fully featured games.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Thanks, SniperGuy, the Nancy Drew ones look promising.

and thanks for the welcome Shadowfire. She likes Cut the Rope, but for this I'm looking for something that requires more long term planning. Something with small challenges that help lead to an eventual goal.

I should mention we have a Wii as well. But I feel like that platform is less likely to have what I want.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    fenchurchy wrote: »
    I know a stay at home mom of two girls is not the target demographic of this board

There is no target demographic besides "people who like games" or "people who want to talk to people who like games," along with "people who will be excellent to each other." Welcome aboard.

Yeah, this. You'd be surprised how many people here aren't the typical "20-something male gamers" audience.

If you can manage to get a couple of controllers, and your Mac is up to snuff hardware wise, you might want to check out the Lego games on the App Store. Lego Star Wars, Lego Harry Potter, Lego LOTR, Lego Indiana Jones, etc. The only ones I have played firsthand are the Lego Star Wars games, but they're all super kid-friendly. They have co-op play, death penalties are minimal, and the violence is pretty limited (the Lego people fall apart).

edit: The Wii has a ton of Lego games as well.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    There's a fantastic flash game called Fantastic Contraption - www.fantasticcontraption.com

Essentially you use a bunch of different building blocks to create machines to solve puzzles. Wheels that turn clockwise, anti clockwise, wheels that don't turn, wood beams, steel beams.

Here's a fun video that shows off what's possible in one specific level

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoVsRUhUb3I

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Actually the Wii could be pretty good for that sort of thing.

Endless Ocean Blue World might be good. It's a game about exploring underwater, finding different fish and recording them in your logbook, salvaging treasure, befriending dolphins and training them, that sort of thing. Very relaxed pace and definitely something that builds up to larger goals as you go. You can explore the ocean, the arctic, the Amazon, submerged ruins, all sorts of interesting places.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhEt7So9IA

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Hmmm.... I hadn't thought about the Lego games. I'll have to look into those separately. And I'd completely forgotten about fantastic contraption. I'll have to introduce her to that as well. I'm still looking for a story based game, though.

• Options
    UncleSporky - that might just fit the bill.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Depending on how old you want to go, I got Lego Island working on windows 7 a while ago, though it wasn't easy.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Endless Ocean was a game I rented on a lark and ended up loving. I only played a little of the sequel, Blue World, but didn't it add "danger" situations where you had to use a device to repel sharks and stuff? Would that part be scary for a little kid? If so, the first game might be a better bet, which as I recall only had one shark that could be scary in a hard-to-reach secret area and was nonetheless harmless.

Also, is your name from Hitchhiker's?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    What about adventure games? Not action but you mentioned Monkey Island. Tell Tale has some of their adventure games like Sam and Max and the Tales of Monkey Island on iOS. The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition is also one there.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlush: Yep - name is from Hitchhiker's. :)

agoaj: Yeah - adventure game is probably what I am looking for. I say limited action game to refer to a style of gaming that lets you only take a certain number of actions each day (like the old door games on BBSs) I'll look into those suggestions.