Juggling job offers

DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
So I've got a conundrum on my hands. I'm currently unemployed and am in the hiring process for 3 jobs. Job A pays the lowest, but I've for sure got the job, hasn't been formalized yet though. Job B I'm going through a background check for and it pays more than job A, but I'm concerned about taking a polygraph (I shouldn't fail, but I tend to get nervous easily), specifically a question that will be asked, something along the linesof do you plan tto stay in the job for 3 years (I don't and plan to answer honestly). Job c is the job I really want, but I'm furthest behind in the hiring process, having only interviewed 2 weeks ago. I felt really good about my interview (best I've felt, ever, coming out of an interview) but I don't know how long it'll take to get hired, assuming I'm right and I'll be continuing in the hiring process.

Now my conundrum is that I don't really want to take job A and only be there a few weeks before leaving for job B. Same thing goes for job C, don't want to spend a few weeks to a month or two in two jobs, but I also don't want to be unemployed any longer. Anyone have any advice for a few situation like this?

PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon

Posts

  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    You aren't juggling job offers until you have multiple written offers in your hands.

    Worry about this after receiving the offer from job A and interviewing jobs B and C. Never skip an interview.

    DeebaserEsseeceresAldozepherinbowenEvigilantMegafrostschussSkeithZilla360admanbKafkaAUcookiekrushzerzhulLoveIsUnityUsagiLilnoobs
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Until you have something, you have nothing. Right now it sounds like you have nothing

    If Job A offers first, remember that you still have nothing from B and C.

    Once Job A has indicated they are sending you an offer, you should tell B and C you are about to receive an offer from another firm, and wow gosh gee would it be possible to speed things up a bit? You'd love to work for B and C!

    Also make sure to ask Job A when the deadline for deciding on the offer is. They'll probably say something like today, or tomorrow, but if this is a somewhat professional job they really shouldn't balk at giving you a week (just ask). If they ask why, say accepting a job offer is a big decision (it is, not up there with marriage, but one of the biggest we make throughout our lifetimes) and you need a bit of time to review the offer and think about it, especially because you take your job very seriously.

    NijaJeremy23000DaenrisKafkaAUcookiekrushYoSoyTheWalrus
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    What the hell kind of job would require you to take a polygraph? Many jobs run background checks. Ive never heard of a single one (outside say the FBI) that would require you to take a polygraph.

  • KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
    Anything with a secret (usually Top Secret) clearance wouldn't surprise me as needing a polygraph.

  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    Well, for some clarification, these are all public jobs, county level. I've recently spoken to C, they indicated something should be along soon and if I'm correct in my assumptions, I should be getting a conditional job offer from them (pending passing a background, physical, medical and psych).

    The polygraph is for a job w/ the sheriffs office (not as a deputy though).

    I think I will talk to A and see when they'd like my decision by though, that's a good idea.

    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Drakeon wrote: »
    Well, for some clarification, these are all public jobs, county level. I've recently spoken to C, they indicated something should be along soon and if I'm correct in my assumptions, I should be getting a conditional job offer from them (pending passing a background, physical, medical and psych).

    The polygraph is for a job w/ the sheriffs office (not as a deputy though).

    I think I will talk to A and see when they'd like my decision by though, that's a good idea.

    Don't ask anything until you have an offer in your hands. That will buy you some more time

    camo_sig.png
    YoSoyTheWalrus
  • LailLail Surrey, B.C.Registered User regular
    If Job A gives you an offer and requires an answer before you hear back from B or C, it never hurts to accept and if need be quit if you get an offer from B or C. Just let Job A know as soon as possible, apologize for wasting their time, and just tell them a better offer came up. You owe them nothing. You need to take care of YOU.

    YoSoyTheWalrus
  • AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular
    Man, I came in here prepared to offer advice on circus performance..

    Don't stress, take things as they come, and other such generic-to-the-point-of-cheesy-yet-still-prudent phrases. Just relax and focus on the job at hand. Maybe you'll find that your initial assessment was incorrect, and you'd like to continue on with it despite the lower pay.

  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Lail wrote: »
    If Job A gives you an offer and requires an answer before you hear back from B or C, it never hurts to accept and if need be quit if you get an offer from B or C. Just let Job A know as soon as possible, apologize for wasting their time, and just tell them a better offer came up. You owe them nothing. You need to take care of YOU.

    Err...it certainly can hurt. You will unlikely to ever be considered by A (or those who know of events at A) for a job again. I don't think this is irreparable damage or should be avoided at all costs, but you're lying to yourself if you think doing this won't impact your reputation.

    Since it sounds like these are all government jobs it heightens the issue a bit. If these are all somewhat nearby you can bet these people run in the same circles and have a better chance of hearing about it than your average retail job.

    Current plan of talking with A is a good one. I am NOT saying don't take A then jump to C, just be aware that doing that will have consequences and weigh that in your decision. From the brief outline you've given it sounds like it'd be worth it but I'd try and find more about the relationships between C and A first.

  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    Lail wrote: »
    If Job A gives you an offer and requires an answer before you hear back from B or C, it never hurts to accept and if need be quit if you get an offer from B or C. Just let Job A know as soon as possible, apologize for wasting their time, and just tell them a better offer came up. You owe them nothing. You need to take care of YOU.

    This is terrible advice for any long lasting professional career

    Word gets around. Advice gets around. People move around. This can be very career limiting, and is definitely not taking care of `you`.

    Do not accept an offer if you`re planning to renege on your acceptance. Unless of course, you`re planning to do something such that you know word does not get around (move countries, move states...).

  • cookiekrushcookiekrush Registered User regular
    Lail wrote: »
    If Job A gives you an offer and requires an answer before you hear back from B or C, it never hurts to accept and if need be quit if you get an offer from B or C. Just let Job A know as soon as possible, apologize for wasting their time, and just tell them a better offer came up. You owe them nothing. You need to take care of YOU.

    Please don't do that. That doesn't look good on your record, and words travel fast if you're hopping from job to job, even if it happens just once. It can also sour your connections at said place, and connections at future places. You need to accept if you want to work there and plan on staying.

    Hear back from A, request a deadline. Mention to B and C you already have an offer on the table, and see how they react. Hopefully, you'll get an offer from B and C. See which one you like, and possibly get a counter offer from A,B, and/or C.

    Are you even interested in A? It doesn't sound like it from the context of your post. B, even though there is a poly, I'm sure at some point of the interview, you should mention why you are even applying and where you see yourself in the future. The common question - where do you see yourself in the future. They'll make their assumptions on that if you are a long-term or short term. Maybe temping would be a better option for you if that is the case.

    Don't jump at the job that is offered first. Patience is a virtue here.

    Pinny Pals - open to trading!
    Looking for Edith Finch Pin!
  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i don't think they are allowed you ask you about you future plans at a job in a polygraph. it's more like "Have you ever taken hardcore hallucinogenics?" and "do you owe money to various mid level criminals about town?"

  • DrakeonDrakeon Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    i don't think they are allowed you ask you about you future plans at a job in a polygraph. it's more like "Have you ever taken hardcore hallucinogenics?" and "do you owe money to various mid level criminals about town?"

    Well, the background Packet I'm filling out straight up lists a bunch of questions which it asks me to answer yes or no on. I listed the first one because it was on my background packet.

    Anyways, I heard back from Job A, they want me to start on the 18th. I told them ok, but I should be hearing back from Job C either late this week or early next week. If I hear that I'm getting a conditional offer there, I'm going to politely let Job A know that I'm declining their offer. That way they haven't spent any time training me and I'm not just staying there for 2-3 months (or, ideally, less time).

    Drakeon on
    PSN: Drakieon XBL: Drakieon Steam: TheDrakeon
    Deebaser
  • zepherinzepherin Registered User regular
    uggg full scope with lifestyle polly. That's too much for me. I don't want the government that far up my ass.

    Good luck. I think you'll do well.

  • Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    Hmm, that's very weird. i don't think they'll ask you that on the Poly but it sounds like that job is pretty much off the table anyways.

  • Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    here's my advice.

    1) Do nothing until you actually get the first offer - at least verbally, but I can tell you from experience that a verbal offer means nothing.
    2) After receiving the first offer explain that you'd like to take some time to look over the final total package, do the math along with your budget/lifestyle needs, etc. ask if you can get back to them by the end of the week/end of next week/etc. that last bit is a bit of a judgement call.
    3) Contact the other places you expect to make offers and professionally and politely let them know that you have received an offer but are still interested in their positions as well. Let them know when you need to have made a decision by, because you can't just leave the first place (don't say who it is) hanging forever, they've got a job that needs done.
    4) Make the decision that makes the most sense when you've got all of the info you're going to get.

    I've done this, no one was offended or troublesome about it. They all know that if you're interviewing with them then you're probably also interviewing several other places and that it's a job, you're trying to get the best compensation you can for your work, not do people favors.

    zepherin
Sign In or Register to comment.