Options

[When The Seagulls Cry: Golden Reverie] Fan Translation Project

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited October 2013 in Games and Technology
Not sure how much awareness of the game there is here, as it's a niche fighter based on a niche VN(which was made into an awful anime), but I'm hyped, so.

I've been interested in seeing this game released in English ever since I obsessed over some of the background art a couple years back.

grlogo.png

So now we're making it happen.

Editing/Project Lead: cj iwakura
Hacking: EsperKnight
Translation: Cckerberos
Tester: Walterion
Graphics: The Reddit Umineko Community(seriously, they came together big time)

grcover.png

Golden Reverie, translated from Ougon Musou Kyoku, is a fighting game based on the universe of When The Seagulls Cry(Umineko no Naku Koro Ni).

This is an official follow-up to the visual novel, taking place after the events of Episode 4, part of the official canon and sanctioned by 07th Expansion.

Of course, odds of it getting officially localized in any capacity, much like the VN, are just about non-existent.

So we're translating it, and plan to release a patch to make all the game's dialogue viewable in English.

FAQ

Should I play the visual novel before this?
YES. The events and even backgrounds of Golden Reverie contain massive spoilers to Episodes 1-4 of the visual novel.

What about the expansions like Cross?
We're doing the original first. Cross and its ilk may come later.
No sense getting in too deep just yet!

Will the Japanese voice overs be intact?
Yes. We have no intention of dubbing this, as it would be a massive project. Almost every line of dialogue is voiced from the cast who did the PS3 VN/anime voices, and they did a fine job.

What about spoken dialogue during matches?
As cool as having subtitles in-game for that would be, that would be a massive undertaking. Most likely, we'll include translations for all the battle quips in a read-me, same goes for the opening song and such.

I love Umineko but I hate fighting games. Will finishing this be a nightmare?
The AI can be cheap as hell, fair warning. But there is an easy mode, so you should be fine.
It's also very easy to exploit cheap combos and get story mode over with if that's your preference.

How far along is the project?
Hacking is already going smoothly. The script is complete, and in the editing stages.

Can I help?
If you're both:
A. An Umineko scholar
B. Fluent in Japanese
Then absolutely, PM me.

The Players

grbattler.png
The one who defies magic, and will explain it all through reason. Locked in an endless battle with the great witch, Beatrice. It may be all useless, but you can still turn the chessboard around.

grbeatrice.png
The one known as the Golden Witch. There's only one known way to kill her.
Can you defy the strength of her magic through sheer force of will, or will you be another broken beneath her heel?

grange.png
The younger sister of Battler, fighting to regain the family stolen from her by the Golden Witch. What awaits: a happy future, or one of endless despair?

grronove.png
An elegant butler in service of Beatrice, yet he also has great respect for Battler. Where do his loyalties lie?

grshannon.png
A maid sworn to the service of the Ushiromiya Family. A master of spiritual defense, she will let no harm come to those she loves.

grkanon.png
The youngest of the Ushiromiya servants, he is never far from Shannon, and any who try to harm her or those under his protection will find he is all too capable of enforcing it.

grvirgilia.png
A legendary witch, reputed to be Beatrice's elder and instructor. Does she aspire to bring Beatrice back to her senses, or help the Golden Witch in her schemes?

greva.png
One of the Ushiromiya Family, twisted by the promise of power with a penchant for unending cruelty.

grlucifer.png
The eldest of the Seven Stakes of Purgatory, executioners of Beatrice's will(as well as her victims).

grchiester.png
One of the Siesta Sisters, each of whom is easily a match for the combined might of the Seven Stakes. Yet, they serve not Beatrice, but the fearsome sorcerer known as Goldsmith.

English screens, testing:
gren.png

gren2.png

Other screens:
gr6.png

gr.png

gr1.png

gr2.png

gr4.png

gr5.png

gr7.png

gr8.png

gr9.png

gr10.png

Should have more English screens soon, as we plan to be testing the Battler/Beatrice scenario first.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on