As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SR5] Unprofessional Criminals [IC]

LeperLeper Registered User regular
This space intentionally left blank.

If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    The call had come through unreasonably early. Too late to be made after a night of carousing, too early to be the result of a heaping helping of caffeine. Solomon hadn't really even bothered to call--just an audio message with the most abrasive notification he could find: an old dive siren from an antique submarine, if you had to guess.

"Look, I owe this guy and you owe me... so today I'm cutting out the middle man and you owe this guy. Before you rattle off about how you don't owe me, I'm about to put you on a job, so you owe me even if you didn't before.

"Buddy o' mine is gonna be at a joint called 'Banana Jax' around noon--lunch buffet. Round up a couple folks who don't mind some day labor and head that way--I'll get you started with a couple names. Once youre there, look for the guy eating lo mein. He's an all right sort, but in a bit of a pickle--not in his usual spot or with the usual crowd so he's going to be twitchy. 'Do what you gotta do to take care of you,' and all that drek, but cut the guy some slack if you can.

"Gonna be busy for a couple days--I'll let you know where I'm back.

"Oh! AI almost forgot: be careful what you pick up there. Wednesday at noon ain't the A-Team."

And (aside from a few contacts and an address at the bottom) that was it. No preface, no personalization, not even a real greeting. The message was flagged as URGENT and marked for delivery confirmation, but there wasn't much else to it. Unusual, especially for the generally loquacious Solomon.

I3iKmC9.jpg

The rain had rolled in from the Pacific about ten o'clock, and didn't seem to be in any hurry to move along. The initial torrential downpours had at least subsided into showers of big, fat droplets of unusually clean precipitation, washing away the less ambulatory filth from the streets.

The site didn't seem like much from the outside. There was no signage, no neon, only a glaring red light by the doorway: nothing to hint it was even open to the public, or even habitable, save the muted, rhythmic thumps of whatever bass could rattle its way through the walls.

Entry answered everything. Brightly lit neon surrounded multiple postings of local statutes and regulations, with lockboxes lining the wall for a weapons check, conspicuously enforced by a pair of sizeable humans sporting barely-concealed chrome and small arsenals under cheap suits. The music was clearer, of course, and loud, but comfortable.

The main stage is empty, but table-top trideo units feature "dancers" of every variety, and barely clad waitresses circulate between the booths and tables to flirt and collect drink orders. Hallways in the back lead (so the signage suggests) to simsense beds and whatever might pass for V.I.P. lounges in this place. The advertised buffet is certainly nothing to write home about, consisting mostly of prepackaged food shoved unceremoniously under heat lamps, and notably lacking in any sort of Chinese cuisine, which makes spotting the Johnson less problematic.

In one of the back corner booths sits an orc wearing a bright Hawaiian shirt and black cargo pants, alternately hunched over one of several paper take-out boxes, shoveling it into his mouth with chopsticks, or pausing to ogle his automated table dancer.

Leper on
    If my role play is hindered by rolling to play, then I'd prefer the rolls play right, instead of steam-rolling play-night.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Jenna walks in nervously, her eyes darting back and forth; anyone looking for runners would have no problem picking her out, not that she realizes it. One of the bouncers bars her progress with one meaty arm, and she almost jumps in surprise.

"Oh! Right, yeah." She holds her pistol by the barrel and he takes it carefully. "Don't let anyone touch that, okay? It's my favorite gun." He nods curtly, and puts it in a top-shelf bin, handing her the key a moment later. Jenna tucks it into her breast pocket, and finds a sturdy wall to lean against and watch the Johnson, trying and failing to look casual. She doesn't want to be the first one to approach.

• Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    A few minutes later, Block finishes up a text-only message to Solomon as he makes his way into Banana Jax, running a hand through his wet hair and shaking off the raindrops. He submits to a quick frisk, apparently not packing anything that bothers the bouncers, and nods curtly up at each of them in turn as he heads into the club.

Scanning the room quickly, Block purses his lips into something halfway between a smile and a grimace as he notes the ork in the back corner. Block's eyes settle on Jenna a moment later, and his pupils dart around for a few seconds as he checks something in AR. He clears his throat softly as he approaches her.

In a fairly quiet voice, he says, "Goblin said you might beat the rest of us here. I'm Block." The dwarf offers a handshake, reaching out and up.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Kaspar enters Banana Jax shortly after Block, shaking droplets of water free of his jacket and running one hand through his hair, which miraculously returns it to what looks like its original style. He pulls a Colt Government out of his harness and offers it to the bouncer without prompting, accepting a tag in return without bothering to exchange any words. He pauses to take a long look around the establishment before actually entering the floor. He'd learned, the hard way, that assuming every establishment in Seattle was safe was a good way to end up on a table bleeding.

He spots Block introducing himself to a tough-looking human woman and avoids moving over just yet, letting the surprisingly loquacious dwarf break the ice. While being the face came easily to Kaspar, he preferred to let Block break the ice today. The dwarf had been working on his social niceties and Kaspar was in no rush to draw a lot of attention to the rest of the team Solomon had cobbled together. Besides, if this was the right woman, she was a friend of a friend of Block's. He'd get over to them shortly.

He also spotted the 1980s exile ork shoveling takeout and made him for their contact almost immediately. While he respected his fashion choices, he also thought the shirt was a tremendously amateur choice at this sort of meeting and began to suspect that Solomon's friend's problems were much deeper than Solomon might suspect.

He turned his attention back to Block and the woman, taking note of the fact Block had spotted him. Kaspar wasn't trying to hide, which meant that his more than two meter frame was easy to spot. He meandered toward the dwarf, waiting for Block to call him over.

Ardent on
    Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    KaneskiKaneski Registered User regular
    Alex paused only briefly before entering the Banana Jax. He figured main entrance, deliveries, couple of exits, maybe a bolthole if the owner lived inside. Plenty of ways out. Couple of good ways in. Place wasn't a job, but the habits died hard.

The bouncer almost didn't notice Alex approach. From where he stood, there was a sea of faces passing by, then suddenly one was before him, looking expectantly. Alex suppressed a grin. He wasn't invisible, but it amazed him how often people seemed to simply ignore him. People told him it's because he looks generic, but Alex always thought it is because he tries to appear non-threatening. Non-interesting. Someone else's problem.

"Uh, anything to store?" the bouncer mutters. "Only this." Alex hands the brute a knife, sheathed and harnessed. The big meathead looks at Alex sceptically. "Really... only that?". Alex shrugs. "Not my thing."

A quick pad down to be safe and he was in. A quiet, discreet lap around the place and all was set. Alex found a piece of wall a couple of meters from Jenna and leans against it. She was fixated on the orc in the back. Soon, maybe, she and Block might even realise he has arrived.

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    Taisia thumbed the throttle on her growler, checking out the exterior of the building in the astral plane. Satisfied that there was nothing suspicious, she flicked off the ignition, kicking down the stand.

Pausing to let a large truck pass, and to quickly fire off an armor spell for protection, she double checked that her comlink was broadcasting the correct fake SIN. As far as anyone else could tell, Brooke Thompson slipped through the alley and into the nondescript door.

"No weapons."

Taisia held up her palms. "None on me."

Submitting to a quick pat down, the guards seemed satisfied. Occasionally Zen would carry a piece, for emergencies, but her mind was a stronger weapon then anything she could get her hands on. When you sling mojo, if you ever found yourself needing a gun, then it was probably already too late.

Stepping into the dark room, her sight instinctively shifted back to the astral plane. She looked around the room, quickly finding Block's familiar aura. She paused to check for anything else of interest.
    Force 5 Armor spell (12d6=45) - 3 hits
    - and if I need it: Assensing + Intuition (8d6=24) - 3 hits, 3 1's

• Options
    Astral or meatspace, there's relatively little of professional interest at Banana Jax. The crowd is as sparse as one might expect at noon on Wednesday at an establishment like this, and populated with an eclectic mix of low-level white collar wageslaves, lower level blue collar nobodies, and unclassified riff-raff. The vague sense of desperation that stains the astral obviously isn't just generated by employees.

Our intrepid band has a few moments to talk amongst themselves before they're noticed. The orc glances between the group and his pocket secretary before waving them over with a broad smile. He does his best to beckon a waitress before launching into his pitch, his voice sounding vaguely of Jersey and about half an octave higher than one might expect. "Ah, our happy couple," he exclaims, without really indicating who he might be talking to. "And you brought friends! That's wonderful, just fabulous--let's get you some drinks and we'll go talk catering. I brought samples!"

He motions to the waitress and instructs her in a stage whisper, "For the love of God, sweetie, get these people liquored up in hurry. I'm not planning a funeral here." The orc offers you all a wink befor he he pauses for a moment to pop a stick of gum and makes the rounds among you, doing his best to shake hands exuberantly and introduce himself as 'Maury,' and pass out vague compliments on various fashion choices. The drinks can't arrive soon enough.
    If anyone is carrying any recording/surveillance equipment (active or not) go ahead and note it and any steps you might have taken to conceal/shield it in a spoiler for me in your next post.

• Options
    Alex switched the commlink to silent and set the glasses to transparent AR. Jenny had a MARK to his link, but it would require some proper introductions for the rest of the assembled to gain free access. In case of emergencies, Alex was sure Block could smash through to deliver a warning, a message, or just for the frag of it.

At least 'Maury' has done one useful thing so far - booze. While the trids painted clandestine runners as grim, solemn professionals (which wasn't true), 'Maury's exuberance was on the opposite end of the unlikely scale, and probably equally bullshit. Being a guest at this party, Alex waited for the introductions. He hoped they would happen shortly, so he could take a seat.

After the handshake, Alex took out a tiny notebook and pencil and moved to Maury's peripheral vision. It probably wasn't going to be boring...

• Options
    Kaspar decided to play the contact's game. Apparently the guy had reason to believe they were being watched. Suddenly his ridiculous appearance made a lot more sense to the elf.

"Oh, absolutely. Thanks so much for setting this up, Maury. Rush weddings are so stressful." The Elf pays attention to the Ork's responses to his "inane" chatter. "I was just telling Jaykay that I was going to have my hands full doing the tailoring and he said 'Let's go see Maury.' Which I think was a fantastic suggestion, since you know all the right problem solvers. So lay it out for us, big guy, you've seen the plans, what do we need to do to get this bird off the ground?"

While acting isn't really his forte, Kaspar is no slouch. He appropriates the demeanor of an Elven district tailor with an almost imperceptible shift in his carriage and mannerisms. The fact that he's actually wearing an antiquated three-piece suit certainly doesn't hurt the performance.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    "Oh hell, flattery gets you simply everywhere," the orc responds to Kaspar with an overly broad grin, before motioning towards the back rooms. "Well now that we've got our drinks let's gather up the boxes and go talk shop. Far too loud out here."

He gathers up as many of the takeout boxes as he can hold, leaving a few on the table (which he admonished you to gather up) and heads for the V.I.P. lounges. He juggles some noodles for a moment as he fumbles for a credstick to access one marked unoccupied before ushering everyone in. The room is a bit on the small side, with barely enough room for another circular booth and a small stage covered in garish leopard-print padding. At least the background noise is a bit more muted. He takes a moment to bump the door closed with a hip and check the seal before continuing to run his mouth a mile a minute.

"Now I know you mentioned nyotaimori--very progressive by the way--in place of the groom's cake, but I just don't think we can accommodate that and stay within the budget you mentioned," he begins as he takes a minute to set down the boxes and pull a few instruments from the pockets of his cargo pants. "So I took the liberty of trying for something a bit more modest, because--and let's get real for a moment here--you might remember the cake, but no one remembers dinner, no matter how good it is. You can't exactly freeze dry this crap and hang it on the wall. Put your money into the flash and glitter, babydoll. You at least get trid of that." He waves a few in the direction of the group, furrowing his brow briefly and giving more than a few of you a look that seems to say 'what, really?' before shrugging and moving about the rest of the room unperturbed. "Seriously, though, this stuff is good, and it comes with a story."

"It's all from a little place out in Touristville--and don't let that throw you off--it's good. Run by a nice little family. Orcs, every one, and Jewish. I don't know if they're good Jews--I mean you can't make mu shu pork like that (soy or not!) and keep kosher. Amazing sense of humor though--oppressed people tend to be funnier, I find," He works his way back to the table and takes a moment to pull the gum from his mouth and deposit it carefully underneath, smearing it over what might appear to the casual observer to be just another rivet, before stowing his gear once again. "They're trying to do a little bit more catering and a little bit less restauranteuring these days, which puts you in a spot to get a hell of a bargain."

"Seems that insurance premiums and security fees in the area are just killing them on the overhead, and they don't want to move, but they can't keep the doors open at that cost, you see. So... catering! Don't mind if I smoke, do you? God I love some carcinogens after lo mein," he continues, not bothering to actually smoke--although those of you near the table might recognize the faint smell of ozone and acrid chemicals from overloading electronics.

"Thoughts?"

Leper on
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    "Oh be serious. Nyotaimori haven't been progressive since the 60s, but I'm sure the couple appreciates the compliment." Kaspar says, queuing up new music on the room's sound system. He takes the opportunity to twitch out a quick message on the private ARO channel Block set up.

>I know you're running an agent search for nearby Matrix activity, Block.
    >Could you also throw an agent on 'Maury' and see what pops?

"Jewish orks? Maury, are you getting these people from central casting? Nothing amuses me more than Momma R'Ork on Keep It Underground. She's a real tough customer. I wouldn't want to go anywhere near her without being well-armed and, well, we do better with subtlety." The elf shifts in his seat momentarily to produce an old-fashioned scratchbook. He opens it up, skipping over dozens of pages filled with what appear to be lyrics before getting to a clean one and scribbling some notes with a graphite nub.

"Now Touristville, that's the part that's supposed to be safe, right? No gangs? Don't the locals police that sort of thing? I would hate for our bridegroom and bride to get geeked right before their wedding. Looks bad, you know." Kaspar leaned back into the booth. Have to admire this ork's doublespeak. He's a real pro. Whatever Solomon intended, this is probably going to be a good stepping stone for us, even if it means going into the Barrens.

"Your offer is certainly tempting," he says, handing the scratchbook to Block, indicating that he should pass it around when he's done with it. It reads: Orks being muscled in protection racket, Maury wants us to alleviate the pressure. Details later. When the scratchbook comes back around to Kaspar he closes it and secures it inside his suit jacket. "Give us a moment to make up our minds, yeah?"

Ardent on
  • Options
    After reading the scrachbook, Alex gives a slight, silent nod to Kaspar.

• Options
    Block's been dividing his attention between his deck and the seemingly nonsensical back and forth between Kaspar and Maury. He reads Kaspar's note, glances for an instant at Zen, then looks back at Kaspar before passing the note along. He rolls his shoulders for a moment, looking a bit uncomfortable, but eventually he nods as well. A moment later, anyone on the runners' private channel sees a quick AR text from Block:

touristville, orks and protection hustlers, sounds like a stroll down memory lane for at least a couple of us

Block closes his eyes and sighs quietly for an instant after sending the text, then tunes back into the matter at hand, watching Kaspar do his thing.

• Options
    Jenna's eyes widen when she reads the text. She's not so used to tradecraft, and the coded conversation left her somewhat in the dark -- which isn't to say she has a problem with it, as long as she doesn't run into the wrong people.

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    edited November 2013
    Goddamn Orks. Zen thought to herself, suppressing an eyeroll as she read Kaspar's notebook. She shook her head, mentally preparing her sternly worded message to Solomon.

Content to let the smooth talkers speak, she quickly switches to her astral view, calling forth her bound water spirit.

"Yes?" came the bored reply in her head.

"Just preparing," Zen thought to the spirit, "might need you to check something out for me."

"Ah. Such a complex and interesting objective. 'Checking something out'." The sarcasm soaked reply made Zen question her decision. Goddamn Spirits.

psolms on
  • Options
    "I think we can make a deal, Maury. Three trees and a nice shrubbery sound like a fair trade?" The elf says, leaning forward. "We'll provide the fireworks."

• Options
    "I prefer dealing in cash," Maury responds with a smile, pulling a folded up piece of paper from another pocket. "Since you're happy with the Chinese, I've got a handy little flyer here with pricing. Thirty a plate really isn't bad for a base rate, especially since you're probably going to wind up with some leftovers--who knows, it may be good enough that you'll decide to take a trip on down to Touristville and try the place in person. I can see about getting you some gift certificates to sweeten the deal."

The "flyer" is folded around a credstick and contains a sets of coordinates--from the looks of things it's further into the barrens that what would traditionally be considered the Touristville area--and a handwritten note in block script: quiet & untraceable, but messy and scary. NO MORE ISSUES. Further down in tiny print the words ASPYRE MEDIA FLASH PAPER are just barely visible.

"I forgot my binder with all the decoration samples, so we'll have to do that next time--when's good for you? Tomorrow evening?"

• Options
    Kaspar leans back for a moment, sending a quick note out via the AR channel.

>That's 3000¥ plus salvage per head. Possibly a bonus.
    >Plus we get to help out some nice ork entrepreneurs, so it's feel good.
    >No mistake: we'll be in the real Barrens. Wear something appropriate.

"I get it, Maury. Everyone's strapped. Okay, I think we're in agreement here. Maybe Renton would be better?"

• Options
    Block uses the AR channel to suggest the group meet in Renton behind the sports bar where he regularly watches Combat Biker with Solomon. It's near the border with the Redmond district and a group of people wearing bulky armor jackets and such wouldn't attract a ton of attention in the parking lot for a few minutes.

Unless someone's got a better place in mind?

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Agreements had been finalized with an exuberant handshake--welcome or not--and the orc had taken care to flambé the note--leaving behind little trace of the missive. Eager to thoroughly sanitize their palms, the group had taken their leave of 'Maury' to adjourn to someplace that wasn't... that place to plan the upcoming festivities in more detail.

The rain still hadn't made its way out of the city--but then, who expected it would anytime soon? The weather feeds couldn't even be bothered to agree. Clear skies by evening, continuous rain for the next week, scattered showers followed by hail--SeaWeaD (an upstart microcorp trying to corner the market on weather prognostication) briefly announced ">>>>and Lo, the sky shall rain forth cattle upon the heads of the weary, and all shall smell of obscure fruit and licorice!" before noting they were experiencing technical difficulties and going silent.

The weather hadn't done much to blunt the appetites in Renton, and Wanda's Witchery was a little more packed than one might expect for the "after lunch crowd," although the patrons on this particular early afternoon seem to lean more heavily towards 'filthy, dirty, hippy shamans.' (If you were going to be all judgemental and arcan-ist about it.)

Leper on
  • Options
    Alex shook 'Maury's hand as required.

"Alright, we better get going then" he said to noone in particular. He walked out of the booth and into the main floor of the Banana Jax. One last look around he thought. Making his way through, Alex suddenly slipped into obscurity and found a place to watch the patrons. If 'Maury' was physically followed, they might show themselves.

Switching his commlink back on, Alex read through the group's AR channel messages; and then messaged Block
    > Be there in a couple of hours. Getting some groundwork in.

After 30 minutes, Alex left the Jax. Checking around for ID scanners, ensuring he was in an obscure enough place, he flipped the commlink to his real SIN, stretched his neck and got his thoughts together. Then dialed.

A video response was requested and accepted.

"Sgt. Lineus!"

"Alex! How are you?"

"Been alright, keeping busy..."

"Is that right?"
    Lineus Cochrane - one of Alex' friends from local law enforcement; Lone Star, KE, Alex never really cared to find out. "How busy?"

"Well, ok... not that busy since..." Alex trailed off and rolled his eyes. Lineus' face winced a little. "But, it's actually why I'm calling. Some work came up way out in the Barrens. Small corp is looking for a site... eh, you know the deal. Local checkout. Can you scrape some basic info for me? Things I need to look out for?"

"Like what? You know I won't send you official files."

"Not asking for official files. You know my job though - get info, do it, then it drains from thought. You've been around for a while. Surely..."

A short pause. "Yeah, I'll see what I can do... How's that going anyway?"

"Surviving. Could be worse."
    Alex looked off-screen. "Look, real basic stuff - send it to me, alright? Eager to get started. We'll catch up later."

"Fine, I should get to it, too."

Session ended and Alex breathed deep, leaned against the wall and thought. Whoever that elf... the 'tailor' was that spoke to 'Maury', he was good. It was probably time to make the introductions. But first, he needed a few things. Alex switched his commlink back to silent, and merged with the crowd heading to his hideaway.

• Options
    Jenna's insides are roiling. She's never done anything like this before, and the closest she's come was, well, with people she knew better than this. She picks up a sort of a sandwich-wrap thing; maybe a munch will calm her down, and it'll be something to do with her hands, at least. She leans against the wall, seeming just to shift her weight, and the comforting holster soothes her nerves a little.

• Options
    Kaspar waved to a few familiar faces and offered the waitress a genuine smile. He leaned forward over the table, his large form easily getting him nearly to the center and quietly asked, for the first time with a slight German accent, "I must admit that I am a recent emigre to Seattle, and thus am not tuned in to the gang scene here. Are any of you?"

"If not, I will reach out to someone who is likely to have contacts in the Barrens."

Kaspar accepts a strange concoction of uncooked fish, melted cheese, and toast when it arrives and pulls off his AR glasses before eating it. He seems very happy with it, although it smells decidedly fishy.

Wanda's is a quiet, welcoming joint catering to a broad cross-section of ethnic groups and metahumanity. A handful of deals appear to be in negotiation at nearby tables, most likely for telesma or other magical services. Wanda's reputation as a hangout for the Awakened community in Renton was not really a secret, so there were a large helping of wannabes carefully seated in out-of-the-way tables where their furtive glances and gawping would go mostly unnoticed. A handful of rowdier sorts who probably came in from the Barrens for the food or possibly work are similarly segregated in the unobtrusive, barely noticeable way Wanda's does things. The bulk of the clientele are Renton locals, but mixed in with them are Talisar, downtown Awakened -- mostly Thaumaturgy and Magical Studies majors -- and some Tacoma stevedores who get and return a polite nod from Kaspar.