Options

Spyhunter 4 - I'm not sure if it's gone or not...

ImaPiranhaImaPiranha Registered User regular
Alright so I'm working on cleaning up an old PC at work that's going to get passed down through the ranks a bit and has been around a while. It's been used by a ton of people and we're a small business so we don't have fancy server-side protection or site blocking or anything like that. It’s a small business with a couple computers and basically a home network. I got a new computer so my old one is being passed to less important tasks. I figured I'd go through it and clean it up, make sure it's spyware free and so on. I hopped on MaximumPC.com and did a quick search because they usually do the spyware round up things and I figured they would have some solid programs. I found a whole list and figured I'd just download a few of them, give em a shot and see where I was after that. Oh, I had noticed that the system did have the FindWide search bar on it, so I knew it had been infected.
In the list was SpyHunter 4, by chance it happened to be one of the first I downloaded and ran after I did Malwarebytes. I kept going after Malwarebytes because it didn’t' get rid of the tool bar. Spyhunter found it and a few other things but wanted me to pay for it to remove it. I was initially suspicious because I usually use Revo Uninstaller which didn’t' list the program at all. I used standard windows installer and got rid of it and figured that was probably it. I looked around the boards here and asked a friend and the general consensus seems to be Spybot S&D coupled with Malwarebytes (as far as free solutions) so I went with that, ran them both and I think I got rid of all the crap on the system. Hooray
I come back into work today and SpyHunter - which I removed and doesn't show up in any program as being installed - has a message on my screen about malicious software. I did more Googling and it seems pretty clear now that it is in fact malware. Avast doesn’t catch it, Spybot doesn't catch it, Malwarebytes doesn't catch it and after some Googling I saw a recommendation to try Microsoft Fixit which I ran in safe mode but it doesn’t' see the program either.
If I have to, I can nuke the computer but I would just really rather not though now I’m also seeing some stuff not working right. Internet explorer crashes for no reason (though I normally use Firefox) the weather gadget for windows doesn’t let me open the site saying the registry entry has been marked for deletion and so on. All that said, the system has some company software on it I don't really want to have to find discs to reinstall and hope the data export works and so on. Basically I just want to get rid of this program and make sure it is gone.
So uhm, help?

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Probably a startup entry, file most likely located in C:\users\<your user name here>\Appdata use HijackThis if you can.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    ImaPiranhaImaPiranha Registered User regular
    Well I fixed it - nuked from orbit. It was doing all sorts of stupid crap and i got sick of it. Now it's a fresh computer for someone else to pollute.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    It's the only way to be sure