Options

high-brow survival kit gift

LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
My best friend is one of those impossible-to-buy-for types. He likes the finer things and buys anything that he wants for himself. So I have to get creative.

This year, I got my inspiration when I found this thing. http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/product/Swiss-Army-Knives/Category/Camping/Cheese-Knife/80833 I’m going to make him what equates to a WASP survival kit. I’m thinking I want to find the right flask, a solar-powered USB battery/charger, maybe some nicely packaged high end seasonings, and a nice leather/wooden box for delivery and storage.

Any other suggestions? For shorthand, think snob, not nerd. I wouldn’t say price is no object, but I’m not above overspending.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Your link just takes me to the home page, but I trust you're getting him the cheeseknife version of the Swiss Army knife, complete with corkscrew? A couple of nice cigars if he smokes, or some fancy cheeses might do the trick?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Monocle + top hat + monogrammed handkerchief + cigarette holder.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    I would get all electronic items since of course they will have power. Like an electric bottle opener.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Tumi-T Wheeled Backpack is a ridiculously good piece of luggage that serves as a really great bugout bag holder, too. If you wanted to start with a nice piece of luggage and then pack it with some survivalist gear that'd be sick.

I don't know where your line is on price is no object vs. thrifty, though. Tumi luggage is expensive.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    What about this bag?
    yhst-5882396101065_2290_31675936.jpg

You could remove the bottle opener and put the Swiss Army one in its place.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Get him whole spices and a spice grinder if you're going for highfalutin.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The Tumi-T Wheeled Backpack is a ridiculously good piece of luggage that serves as a really great bugout bag holder, too. If you wanted to start with a nice piece of luggage and then pack it with some survivalist gear that'd be sick.

I don't know where your line is on price is no object vs. thrifty, though. Tumi luggage is expensive.

I just got a Tumi carry-on for free from work as a bonus. It makes me want to travel simply to use it.

• Options
    schuss wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I just got a Tumi carry-on for free from work as a bonus. It makes me want to travel simply to use it.

Unfortunately, this is a guy that upgraded from his Tumi stuff years ago. I shudder to think what he spends on an overnight bag when the leather looks like it belongs in a Bentley.

• Options
    Monocle + top hat + monogrammed handkerchief + cigarette holder.

I like the monogrammed hanky, I can roll up a few like gauze. Thanks!

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    As another guy who likes higher quality items....

Stay away from electronics. For someone who likes the finer things, form and function go hand in hand, and it's tough to find electronics that are stylish. In particular, I have never seen a solar powered anything that was stylish.

On Victorinox knives, my favorite is the Compact, modified with a different "Plus" scale off Ebay. Pick a color like white and it would be a unique gift, unavailable from any store.

Fun spices worth getting as gifts for foodies are spiced salts, like truffle salt, wine salt (try fleur de syrah), or saffron salt. Spiced salt lasts longer than a pure spice (especially a "wet" one like truffles or an expensive one like saffron), so you end up using it in everyday dishes, rather than trying to save it for special occasions (and forgetting about it).

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Get him whole spices and a spice grinder if you're going for highfalutin.
    That's not highfalutin, some of the people in the poorest countries on earth grind their own spices. Also anyone who's serious about cooking. Rich people buy fancy spices in glass bottles at Whole Foods and those come preground. Himalayn pink sea salt is the ultimate highfalutin spice because it doesn't taste like anything special but it's sold as a luxury good to silly people.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    That's not highfalutin, some of the people in the poorest countries

Oh yeah, get him one of those.
    Rich people buy fancy spices in glass bottles at Whole Foods and those come preground.
    Wait, no. This, get him this.

The Spice House in Chicago has some nice box sets and individual spices/rubs, etc.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator Mod Emeritus
    http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/axes

Best made has pretty excellent packaging in combination with nice blades, which make them good gifts. Personally, I would get an axe, if I had that kind of cash on me.

Also a card on the inside of the box, so when he goes "uh, did you by me an axe?" I can point to the card that says "Yes I did" on the front, and "You're welcome" on the inside. Or, if he wouldn't appreciate the humor of a sassy card, stick these guys in there: http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/gifts-under-125/products/us-army-field-manuals

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Does he like coffee? You can get pretty snobby about coffee.

You could get him a Hario skerton ceramic coffee mill (hand powered as to not spoil the beans from the heat of an elecrtic grinder), a Hario woodneck drip pot (so he does not sully his coffee with filthy paper), a Hario buono kettle (to perfectly control the rate the water is poured at), (plus hario is a Japanese company so he can sneer down at filthy western barbarians), an electric kettle (so he can control the exact temperature of the water) and an electronic scale (so he can control the amount of beans and the water poured down to the exact gram).

Pretty darn snobby.

This uh... may or may not also be my exact coffee set up (I went with the hario stuff because I live in Japan so it was what was available on store shelves).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/axes

Best made has pretty excellent packaging in combination with nice blades, which make them good gifts. Personally, I would get an axe, if I had that kind of cash on me.

Also a card on the inside of the box, so when he goes "uh, did you by me an axe?" I can point to the card that says "Yes I did" on the front, and "You're welcome" on the inside. Or, if he wouldn't appreciate the humor of a sassy card, stick these guys in there: http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/gifts-under-125/products/us-army-field-manuals

I can vouch for these axes being very well made.

• Options
    sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
    Few ideas that you might find useful, or might not.

If electricity is an issue - there are wood stoves that power a USB socket: biolitestove.com/

This is a pocket grappling hook for all those times you wish you had one but left it at home because it was too bulky (collapsible): countycomm.com/hook.html. That site has lots of cool stuff like that if you think it's the right tree to bark up.

Knives, Watches and Torches are three things that are all useful, as well as having the option to look really nice and cost a lot. I don't know much about watches and he's probably got some by the sounds of things. Here's a couple of options for the other two though.

Friction folder - nice handmade folding knives. I would love one of these: michaelmorrisknives.com/9.html

Spyderco maybe? Nice knives - all prices really: heinnie.com/Knives/Spyderco-Knives/c-1-pricedesc-92-191/. That's a UK site but if you see one you like they are more available in the US.

Klarus make really nice torches of all sizes: http://www.klaruslight.com/

Of course, lots of other people make nicer torches and knives than these, but these are ones that I've used. I would have a look at candlepower forums, edc forums and british blades forums if you this this is a good idea and want to really investigate more. Here's a good thread for examples: candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?184009-Knife-amp-Light-pics

• Options
    Pocket knives, hmm?

I got Stale a similar knife to this or this for Secret Satans last year. They're very pretty, and Stale reported that it was quite nicely made and seemed rather durable, but if you want something more than just a pocket knife, if you want a work tool that you can beat the shit out of every day and it will cut beautifully in 20 years time, then get something more like this.

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    a different idea, but what the hell...

WASP so i assume christian enough to enjoy an advent calendar?

i stumbled across this recently and really want to buy one for next year...

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/the-whisky-advent-calendar/?gclid=CJ3mwKWel7sCFag7OgodJBYAmQ

illig on
  • Options
    illig wrote: »
    a different idea, but what the hell...

WASP so i assume christian enough to enjoy an advent calendar?

i stumbled across this recently and really want to buy one for next year...

http://www.masterofmalt.com/whiskies/drinks-by-the-dram/the-whisky-advent-calendar/?gclid=CJ3mwKWel7sCFag7OgodJBYAmQ

That is awesome. I wish I had seen that to give him at Thanksgiving!