Options

A Question About Wines

arkabararkabar Registered User regular
My dad has become interested in red wines over the past year or so and drinks some every night after work. I have been trying to think of a Christmas present for him and I thought of trying to find a nice (not too expensive - college student budget) bottle of wine. I don't know where to start seeing as I am more of a liquor and cider person. I asked my mom and she said he likes Cabernet, meritages (she said it's a blend of wines, I had never heard of it) and she said occasionally a Chianti. Any suggestions?

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    There are approximately 900,000,000,000,000 vineyards. Your liquor store will probably have a completely different stock than most other posters liquor stores, outside of a few popular brands.

My suggestion is,
    -go to the store
    -check out the cabernets they have in your budget ($20-25 is a perfect price point for a gift bottle imo). If the store is divided by region, you'll probably find the largest selection in the France/California sections.
    -take a picture of 6-12 bottles in the range
    -Go home and hit the internet. Read reviews and compare scores
    -Go back to the liquor store and buy a bottle

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Find a good wine store that's dedicated to wine. Ask the people there. That's what I've done for a long time, and I've gotten some stellar wines for not much money (Note that you're probably only going to be spending 20-30 bucks a bottle unless you start going for the well-known good stuff). I now know enough to be dangerous, but still use that tactic constantly.
    One other thing to note is that the wines in the supermarket etc. don't necessarily get the good stuff, as it's often a separate distribution channel vs. dedicated wine shops.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    You may want to consider wine accessories if your father drinks with any degree of frequency. A quality cork-remover, an interesting wine stopper, glass charms, and quality crystal glasses of the variety he prefers would also be nice gifts that could last a bit longer than a single bottle. Tricky part about giving wine when you don't also drink is that you could end up giving someone crap and, unfortunately, the only way to know for sure it to buy two bottles and sample one yourself.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Other types he might like: zinfandel, syrah, malbec, nebbiolo, carmenere, amarone. I've been liking west coast wines, but have been drinking more pinots than the big reds. You can find really good value in south american wines from places like chile or argentina. Do not feel the need to spend a lot to get a nice wine; I typically limit myself to under $20 and there are lots of good bottles at that range. Personally I'd rather have 3 different $20 bottles than a $60 bottle. That isn't to say there aren't great wines that are $50-$100+, just that cost is not necessarily an indicator of quality, and personally I prefer to sample different types over a single hero bottle.

Your best bet would be to go to a liquor store that does a lot of wine sales or that caters to wines and fancy foods, give them a budget and number of bottles and tell them you want good big reds for immediate consumption.

If you're buying multiple bottles you could do a theme: same bottle but 3 different vintages, same type 3 different regions, 3 different types same region.

Along the lines of a wine accessory you could look into wine saving devices. One that works pretty well for me is shooting an inert gas into the bottle that displaces the oxygen and then re-corking.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    schuss wrote: »
    Find a good wine store that's dedicated to wine. Ask the people there. That's what I've done for a long time, and I've gotten some stellar wines for not much money (Note that you're probably only going to be spending 20-30 bucks a bottle unless you start going for the well-known good stuff). I now know enough to be dangerous, but still use that tactic constantly.
    One other thing to note is that the wines in the supermarket etc. don't necessarily get the good stuff, as it's often a separate distribution channel vs. dedicated wine shops.

The bold is the most important. Many wine stores don't have the most knowledgeable staff.

• Options
    Deebaser wrote: »

The bold is the most important. Many wine stores don't have the most knowledgeable staff.

Absolutely. I'm lucky in that my town of 30k or so has a badass wine store that stocks a great variety from many regions and are very price-insensitive in their reco's (IE - they'll often recommend a 20 dollar bottle over a 50 dollar one if they feel they're better).
    They also ship if you don't have a decent one near you:
    http://www.doverwine.com/

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    good wine is not out of the reach of anyone, price wise

plenty of tasty wine available in the $20-$40 range

If he's a regular drinker of cabernet, he's probably not downing $40 bottles of it every day unless he's printing money. so get him a nicer cabernet as a treat

I'm a wine amateur but as I've explored wine, I have found that once I found a category I like, I pretty much stay there and never want to go anywhere else, except up and down the price scale in that category

your mileage may vary

Jasconius on
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    As a fellow wine snob connoisseur, your dad's next step would be to wine specific stemware, from Riedel.
    http://www.riedelusa.net/bordeaux-cabernet-merlot-wine-glass-1.html

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    You may want to consider wine accessories if your father drinks with any degree of frequency. A quality cork-remover, an interesting wine stopper, glass charms, and quality crystal glasses of the variety he prefers would also be nice gifts that could last a bit longer than a single bottle. Tricky part about giving wine when you don't also drink is that you could end up giving someone crap and, unfortunately, the only way to know for sure it to buy two bottles and sample one yourself.

If he has a plain old corkscrew, I can't recommend a Rabbit enough. One like this: http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-6004-Rabbit-Corkscrew-Black/dp/B00004SQ0K I got one for Christmas several years ago and love it.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If he has a plain old corkscrew, I can't recommend a Rabbit enough. One like this: http://www.amazon.com/Metrokane-6004-Rabbit-Corkscrew-Black/dp/B00004SQ0K I got one for Christmas several years ago and love it.

Booo. :) Rabbits are for silly people who want their wine quickly. A waiters corkscrew provides class and adds frustration.

Actually the best is a twist-top: OXO CorkPull

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If he has a screw-type opener he likely does not need another. Occasionally (maybe 1 in 20 bottles) the cork gets fucked up such that a screw-type opener won't work, or will result in bits of cork in the wine either through destroying the cork or having to push the cork into the bottle to open. In such cases a prong-type opener is useful so you don't have to fish out bits of cork from your grog.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    If he has a screw-type opener he likely does not need another. Occasionally (maybe 1 in 20 bottles) the cork gets fucked up such that a screw-type opener won't work, or will result in bits of cork in the wine either through destroying the cork or having to push the cork into the bottle to open. In such cases a prong-type opener is useful so you don't have to fish out bits of cork from your grog.

Protip: if you end up with cork bits in your wine, stick a drinking straw in over the cork crumb, put your finger over the end to create suction, remove straw, goodbye cork.

• Options
    WhacktoseWhacktose Registered User regular
    If you live in a state that allows shipping and want to splurge a little, I'd recommend Stephen & Walker. Their cab (Howell Mountain) is top-notch and $65 plus shipping: http://www.trustwine.com/.

• Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    I second (third, fourth?) the accessories suggestion, unless you know for sure what kind of wine he likes. People's taste in wines is extremely varied and personal; one man's champagne is another man's vinegar.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Weighing in as another wine dork (both by trade and hobby) a lot of wine drinkers are more interested in trying something new - small production, indie wineries, etc. Don't feel like you have to get locked into the big names at the wine shop weighing in at the three-digit mark. The old standards are big dollars for a reason (ok, sometimes, but that's a separate discussion), but there's lots of little rockstars out there. If you don't have a good wine shop to help you, come back with a price range and I bet you'd get lots of recommendations that you could order online or direct from the winery (depending on what state you're in; shipping/buying alcohol can be a pain state to state).

Last thought - large format bottles are always fun, too. I know I dig having a few in my cellar. Standard bottle size is 750ml, but you can find 1.5L, 3L and bigger. The 1.5 (magnum) will probably be more in your wheelhouse financially, but take a peek around or ask your wine shop. Note: Large format doesn't include your grocery store gallon jug o' E&J Gallo for the purpose of this discussion :p

• Options
    Weighing in as another wine dork (both by trade and hobby) a lot of wine drinkers are more interested in trying something new - small production, indie wineries, etc. Don't feel like you have to get locked into the big names at the wine shop weighing in at the three-digit mark. The old standards are big dollars for a reason (ok, sometimes, but that's a separate discussion), but there's lots of little rockstars out there. If you don't have a good wine shop to help you, come back with a price range and I bet you'd get lots of recommendations that you could order online or direct from the winery (depending on what state you're in; shipping/buying alcohol can be a pain state to state).

Last thought - large format bottles are always fun, too. I know I dig having a few in my cellar. Standard bottle size is 750ml, but you can find 1.5L, 3L and bigger. The 1.5 (magnum) will probably be more in your wheelhouse financially, but take a peek around or ask your wine shop. Note: Large format doesn't include your grocery store gallon jug o' E&J Gallo for the purpose of this discussion :p

Don't you dare hate on my friend Carlo Rossi.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Booo. :) Rabbits are for silly people who want their wine quickly. A waiters corkscrew provides class and adds frustration.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but I actually prefer the basic model (as well?). You need to know your audience before buying something like this. I've gotten several high-end openers as gifts, but I continue to use my $3 waiter's corkscrew because I really enjoy the feeling of opening a bottle of wine with it. When people get me another kind, it's pretty disappointing, especially since there are lots of drinking accessories I really could use.

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    arkabar wrote: »
    My dad has become interested in red wines over the past year or so and drinks some every night after work. I have been trying to think of a Christmas present for him and I thought of trying to find a nice (not too expensive - college student budget) bottle of wine. I don't know where to start seeing as I am more of a liquor and cider person. I asked my mom and she said he likes Cabernet, meritages (she said it's a blend of wines, I had never heard of it) and she said occasionally a Chianti. Any suggestions?

From the three that you suggested, I would reccomend perhaps a really good Carmenère. That's a Chilean variety that pretty much contains the flavour spectrum that your dad has mapped out. I might add that it goes extremely well with good meat, especially beef.

Carmenères aren't fashionable (ie: overpriced) like other more well known varieties are, so you should get good value.

• Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    Here's a thought on Carmenere, since a couple people have mentioned it - they can move to the vegetal spectrum pretty quickly, especially the South American stuff. You can start getting a lot of green/bell pepper flavors that can be off-putting to folks that are into the standard California-fruited reds. I see that quite a bit when I pour them at wine tastings - it's sort of one of the hallmarks of that grape, but if the drinker isn't into that, it can spook 'em. I've had people bring bottles back thinking they were bad because they didn't understand that flavor was supposed to be there.

It's a nice grape, just know what you're getting into. Like V1m said, it's a little under the radar right now - there's some value to be had, for sure.

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    there are some really good (and budget-friendly) malbec wines that might meet your dad's tastes.

i'm a fan of tuscan wines (chiantis are tuscan), cabernets, and other "big" red wines, and malbec might fit the bill.

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm, but I actually prefer the basic model (as well?). You need to know your audience before buying something like this. I've gotten several high-end openers as gifts, but I continue to use my $3 waiter's corkscrew because I really enjoy the feeling of opening a bottle of wine with it. When people get me another kind, it's pretty disappointing, especially since there are lots of drinking accessories I really could use.

I used to use a Rabbit too but gave it up for a waiter's as well. Rabbits are nice for speed, but something more satisfying about doing it myself.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular

I used to use a Rabbit too but gave it up for a waiter's as well. Rabbits are nice for speed, but something more satisfying about doing it myself.

I opened enough bottles by hand to never want to have to do it again. I never found it satisfying, only frustrating. To each his own, but if he's not a fan of corkscrews, he'll probably love it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A waiter's friend.

Some nice glasses.

A bottle stopper.

It's best to wait for buying gift wines until he's settled an a half-dozen or so "old favourites" so you can get him a mixed dozen/half dozen and know he'll love them all.

• Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Enc wrote: »

I liked the accessory route, so last year I bought an aerator and wine carafe for my parents (amazon link). The idea of which is that they let the wine breathe more which (apparently) improves the taste of many red wines. Also doubles up as a nice table decanter and puts a bit of 'show' into the whole wine drinking.

Rook on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited December 2013

This is a great post when one primarily associates "Rabbit" with a different product.

On topic: I use a le Grand Charles corkscrew (I don't know what this is actually called, but my initial google says this) butterfly/angel corkscrew. It has served my family for like two generations now. What's wrong with those?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    This is a great post when one primarily associates "Rabbit" with a different product.

On topic: I use a le Grand Charles corkscrew (I don't know what this is actually called, but my initial google says this) butterfly/angel corkscrew. It has served my family for like two generations now. What's wrong with those?

Yeah, the cork pieces were just no fun. :#

A butterfly is fine, but it's one of those things that a cheap one will be really bad with slipping gears, etc. Sounds like you have a good one.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

Don't you dare hate on my friend Carlo Rossi.

Hehe if nothing else, it's SUPERB wine for Beef Bourginion.