Options

Drug Testing on Prescriptions

JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting DefensePlace at the tableRegistered User regular
Have a buddy that is on a prescription that creates a false positive for THC on a drug test and needs to take a pre-employment one.

There's an awful lot of useless urban legendary online about how to approach this that complicates a googlin'

1. He does have the prescription
2. It is a known side effect
3. He sets off a home kit from a drug store
4. He is clean of "actual" thc

He's thinking about trying to cheat on the test which I am trying to talk him out of and get him to use whatever legit channel exists. Because a sane, legitimate way to explain this must exist, right?

Don't want any advice on how to cheat/dilute whatever, could go to a pro drug site for that, I am just hoping someone knows more about the legit process for this.

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    Well, a lot will depend on the job and the situation.

If he's getting a good job and they really want him, the drug test is mostly a formality. As long as he explains the situation to the hiring manager and can back it up by showing them a prescription, they may be able to accommodate him. It's possible that they will use a different or higher quality test that can discern between THC and whatever your friend is on.

If he's trying to get a job someplace like Walmart, or it's a job with people lined up around the block, there is a chance that even if he explains himself they will just pass him over and hire someone else. They aren't going to deal with the hassle or take a risk - they are just going to go by the book and if he fails the test not hire him.

I'd encourage him NOT to cheat on the test. I don't know what type of job it is, but if he raises this concern in the hiring process and it's addressed, it makes it a lot less of a problem if he's given a random / non-random test after hiring that tests positive for THC. He may also want to consider changing medication or stop taking medication until after his test (with advice of his doctor, etc) until after the test. That of course depends on the situation.

My current job didn't test me, but I believe the test for job I had before had me fill out a questionnaire that asked if I was taking any prescription medication. I find it hard to believe that this isn't something that comes up regularly (esp. considering prescription pain killers and opiate testing) and there has to be a process for addressing it.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    There are drugs that give false positives. He should bring the prescription with him to whatever testing facility is doing the test and tell them. The employer doesn't have to know.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    I feel dumb for asking but we live in a very backward state labor wise and there's a ton of pressure to say nothing and take the test

• Options
    zagdrobzagdrob Registered User regular
    I feel dumb for asking but we live in a very backward state labor wise and there's a ton of pressure to say nothing and take the test

The testing is usually done by an independent third party, separate from the employer.

If he's concerned about raising the issue with the company, when he gets the information on where / when he goes to take his drug test, call the company anonymously. Ask them about the situation and how they handle it.

If he's still concerned about issues, that would probably be the time when he decides which course of action to take - contact the hiring company, taking the test and crossing his fingers, or other options.

He should just remember that there is a possibility he won't get the job if he raises the issue ahead of time. There is a certainty he won't get the job if he's caught cheating. Cheating may not seem particularly hard, but people get caught doing it all the time. Granted, people get away with it all the time too.

Is he willing to gamble on never again getting a job with this company? Cause, if he gets caught cheating, any future application is probably going to go straight into the trash.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    zagdrob wrote: »
    Is he willing to gamble on never again getting a job with this company? Cause, if he gets caught cheating, any future application is probably going to go straight into the trash.
    I think a lot of it depends on the type of work that he is in. If he is going retail and they are using the $7 test swab, then cheat away, those tests aren't very good. They are also likely to just be dicks about the whole thing, because it is oftentimes a manager, or a contractor who is doing the tests, and s/he's on test 134 out of 327. If s/he is going into Quest diagnostics with 2 tamper proof seals and they are going to be doing a $500 test on his piss, then it is better to be upfront about it. Most companies don't usually do the more in depth drug tests.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    zepherin wrote: »
    zagdrob wrote: »
    I think a lot of it depends on the type of work that he is in. If he is going retail and they are using the $7 test swab, then cheat away, those tests aren't very good. They are also likely to just be dicks about the whole thing, because it is oftentimes a manager, or a contractor who is doing the tests, and s/he's on test 134 out of 327. If s/he is going into Quest diagnostics with 2 tamper proof seals and they are going to be doing a $500 test on his piss, then it is better to be upfront about it. Most companies don't usually do the more in depth drug tests.

And if it's the deep exam, they're probably going to be doing a hair radioimmunoassay instead (since it measures over a period of time.) Went through one of those once - after I got my hair buzzed off at PAX 08.

Ever had someone in a lab coat clip your chest hair?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    And if it's the deep exam, they're probably going to be doing a hair radioimmunoassay instead (since it measures over a period of time.) Went through one of those once - after I got my hair buzzed off at PAX 08.

Ever had someone in a lab coat clip your chest hair?
    A couple of times.

Never for a drug test though.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    I worked at a place that drug tested people, long ago. However, let me state I am not an expert. I do not know how they work I only looked at results. If we got a positive on someone we called the company that did the testing for us and they retested the same sample with a more expansive test. (Showed many more drug types on the report we would get than the typical one). My guess is that they did the cheap test on everyone and only retested on people who showed positive.

I will start by saying "Get a note from your Doctor saying this is a potential side effect." This is much stronger than a print out from a website. Employers are more likely to believe a doctor. Your friend may have 1000 reasons he can't do this. This is bull.

Don't ever try to fake it. This shows poor character and at the very least a level of being immature. "Rather than talk like an adult to resolve and issue I'll just scam." I wouldn't want to hire that person.

I am not sure how one drug test from a drug store compares to one done in a lab. Its possible the lab one may not throw a false positive.

I will end with "Get a note from your Doctor saying this is a potential side effect."

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Riboflavin wrote: »
    I will start by saying "Get a note from your Doctor saying this is a potential side effect." This is much stronger than a print out from a website. Employers are more likely to believe a doctor. Your friend may have 1000 reasons he can't do this. This is bull.

A pharmacist* can often provide that information.

* - And I mean a real pharmacist; at most stores the only credentialed pharmacists are shift managers and everybody else is a pharmacy technician.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Anyway, I agree with the folks so far who have said:

1) Bring in your prescription
    and
    2) Bring in a note from a doctor (or other qualified medical professional) stating that false positives are a possible side effect

They might not hire you anyway, but thems the breaks.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    :D it really is a friend, feral, I tell them I'm a psychedelic prophet during the interview... but thanks.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    you have to bring your prescription in to the testing doctor

end of discussion

• Options
    There is no testing Dr, it's done at a place that is just this side of a drive thru

• Options
    someone inside that building is a doctor who has to sign a piece of paper, or someone of some medical training at some level

in florida they ask you up front for the prescriptions

this is not a mystery. the places that do these tests know that there are prescription drugs that can mess with test results.

• Options
    The place has one np a shift. No doctor.

• Options
    The place has one np a shift. No doctor.

i dont understand the problem

you think cheating the test is a viable alternative to betting that a nurse practitioner doesn't know what to do with a prescription?

how do you even know the actual chemical tests are conducted in that building? maybe it's just a collection station and the samples are taken to a laboratory

• Options
    No. I actually expressly said I do not want any cheating advice. Thank you for telling me the "should be" and I hope it aligns well with the actually.

• Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    I don't see anything more legit than him bringing the prescription with him along with a note from his doctor. If that doesn't convince the testing people to take the false positive seriously then nothing will.

XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Taking the Rx and the Note, and letting the testers know that your doctor told them this medicine will create a false positive, is the only thing you can do.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    :D it really is a friend, feral, I tell them I'm a psychedelic prophet during the interview... but thanks.

I believe you! I really just meant that in the general 'you' because it's less awkward to type than 'your friend.'

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Jasconius wrote: »
    someone inside that building is a doctor who has to sign a piece of paper, or someone of some medical training at some level

this is not a mystery. the places that do these tests know that there are prescription drugs that can mess with test results.

Just to point out a factual matter, the laws determining who can run and who can interpret a drug test differ from state to state.

If you live in Florida (as your profile says), you live in one of the few states that requires that employment drug test results be interpreted by a medical professional prior to adverse action against the employee.

This is not true in most states. In most states, anyone may administer and interpret an off-the-shelf drug test. It is often done by an interviewer or HR person and never ever shipped off to a lab or seen by a medical professional.

Feral on

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Feral wrote: »

Just to point out a factual matter, the laws determining who can run and who can interpret a drug test differ from state to state.

If you live in Florida (as your profile says), you live in one of the few states that requires that employment drug test results be interpreted by a medical professional prior to adverse action against the employee.

This is not true in most states. In most states, anyone may administer and interpret an off-the-shelf drug test. It is often done by an interviewer or HR person and never ever shipped off to a lab or seen by a medical professional.
    Yup, at a job fair for Target they swabbed everybody that handed in a job application, and did the test right there. Wrong color your app was thrown away. My brother got the mouth swab when he interviewed at safeway. That's just how things go.

zepherin on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Yup, at a job fair for Target they swabbed everybody that handed in a job application, and did the test right there. Wrong color your app was thrown away. My brother got the mouth swab when he interviewed at safeway. That's just how things go.

This is probably getting too far into a legal issue here, but doesn't that open them up to tremendous liability for lawsuits? You can't discriminate against someone based on disabilities, and depending on the prescription I'd think they would get into significant trouble.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    This is probably getting too far into a legal issue here, but doesn't that open them up to tremendous liability for lawsuits? You can't discriminate against someone based on disabilities, and depending on the prescription I'd think they would get into significant trouble.
    It's possible, but I imagine that a policy like this would have legals stamp of approval. Including a section in the application that says you are approving of the drug test, and maybe some way to contest the results, as part of the fine print, but people who are applying to work at Safeway or Target, generally don't have the kind of money to fight a large corporation over it. Lawyers are expensive and the compensatory damages are going to be low so getting one on a contingency is going to be unlikely.

• Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I have the exact same problem with my ADHD meds setting off drug tests. It's something the drug testing place deals with all the time. What happened was first, I failed the test, then the drug test place phoned me and told me I had 48 hours to fax them some paperwork from my pharmacist. I forgot the name of the paperwork I had to get, but basically my pharmacy (Rite-Aid) gave me a piece of paper with the pharmacist's signature, and a list of my prescriptions and the dates I had them filled in the past year. I faxed in the paperwork, and the drug test company sent a clean result to the employer.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    It's possible, but I imagine that a policy like this would have legals stamp of approval. Including a section in the application that says you are approving of the drug test, and maybe some way to contest the results, as part of the fine print, but people who are applying to work at Safeway or Target, generally don't have the kind of money to fight a large corporation over it. Lawyers are expensive and the compensatory damages are going to be low so getting one on a contingency is going to be unlikely.

For this reason they pretty much have to have some mechanism for "I am legally taking x which reads as illegal y" exceptions. If they're smart they make it so the hiring manager never hears about the problem with the test. Even if they did fail to hire you based on it they would have to be brain dead to say that's the reason why they didn't hire you.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

The mouth swab is at least somewhat forgivable in that it only measures for a relatively short period of time, IE 'did you come to the interview high' as opposed to 'did you get high over the weekend'. That of course does not address the issues of it being performed by an HR person or being performed as part of a hiring process period.

OP, why not call the drug testing place beforehand and ask the procedure for this sort of thing? Your friend wouldn't even need to identify himself, since they likely offer services to individuals and companies and it could be phrased as an inquiry of that nature.