Options

Operating a PC at 4°C - Is this done?

I am setting up a specific piece of equipment that requires I work at 4°C. There needs to be a computer attached to the equipment. However, none of us are sure if we can move a PC into a cold room or not. We are okay with it staying in the cold room forever. That is not a big deal.

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    You're questioning if a PC will be bothered by operating in a room that cold?

It'll love it. You would probably not want to move it in and out of a room that cold due to possible condensation, so you'll want it to stay in there, yes. Move it in, let it sit overnight, fire it up.

EDIT: Also since it can really suck to sit at a computer in a room that cold to operate it, put some sort of remote control software on it. Assuming it has a network connection.

Cog on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Cog wrote: »

It'll love it. You would probably not want to move it in and out of a room that cold due to possible condensation, so you'll want it to stay in there, yes. Move it in, let it sit overnight, fire it up.

EDIT: Also since it can really suck to sit at a computer in a room that cold to operate it, put some sort of remote control software on it. Assuming it has a network connection.
    My other option is to drill a hole in the cold room and put ethernet through. I am concerned about psychrophilic mold getting into the computer. If that is indeed a thing.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Psychrophilic mold sounds like some shit M. Bison would use to turn the population of Asia into zombie slaves.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Is it a low humidity environment too, FCC?

I'd be concerned about condensation since a PC can be near 70C, that may also impact your cold room.

I'd probably look into drilling a hole and putting the wire through it, and use some sort of sealant or gasket to be the best solution. PCs like cold, though.

http://www.connectzone.com/watertight-rj45.html

That page might have something that fits right up your alley.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Its a lab cold room so there will be all kinds of salt based fluids sitting in beakers everywhere.

• Options
    edited December 2013
    Cog wrote: »

My other option is to drill a hole in the cold room and put ethernet through. I am concerned about psychrophilic mold getting into the computer. If that is indeed a thing.

I can't imagine why that would be a concern, though I have no idea what sort of equipment (obviously food related, but beyond that IDK) you're hooking it up to, what sort of tolerance you have for such molds in your environment, or how heavily prevalent you expect such mold to be. If it's just a case of "sometimes this foodstuff can maybe possibly get this mold, sometimes" I probably wouldn't worry about it. The computer really isn't any more or less likely to spur/incubate mold growth than I would suspect the equipment you're working with is.

If it's more "this mold would totally ruin our equipment/environment, and we cannot risk having it" or "this fucking mold is gonna be everywhere in this room, guaranteed", then maybe drill the hole, run the cable, and seal around it well.

Very (very) light reading suggests those sorts of molds generally only inhabit organic material. You can pack some filters around the intake/outlet vents of the PC and regularly change them if it's just a general "what if" contamination concern.

EDIT: Oh and get a goddamn keyboard cover if this is going to be near a food "thing" of any sort. Fucking keyboards are straight fiiiilthy, man. Bag the mouse too.

Cog on
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Its a lab cold room so there will be all kinds of salt based fluids sitting in beakers everywhere.

It's sounding like the watertight RJ45 bowen suggested is probably a simpler overall solution unless there is a good reason to have the workstation directly accessable while working with the lab contents.

You could also look into a Toughbook/Rugged Laptop. All the ones here pass MIL-STD 810 military standards for temperature, rain, humidity, fungus, salt fog, sand, explosives, leakage, acceleration, shock and vibration

Cog on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    It's going to be constantly cool?

• Options
    It's going to be constantly cool?

Yeah he said they were fine with it staying in the cold room forever.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Depending how valuable this is, I kind of agree with Cog - you might want to get something that's specifically made to be sealed enough to prevent water / etc damage.

Most biology cold rooms don't have circulating air, which (in addition to the bacteria/mold that you're actually storing in there, if you're a biology lab) tends to lead to a lot of mold growing on everything. I probably wouldn't want a normal off-the-shelf desktop in there, you'll almost certainly get mold growing on internal parts before too long... and they're not really designed to be cleaned easily.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    If you can't be drilling holes in the wall, you can get something like this DFP200 industrial PC enclosure and then buy the enclosure heater with it. I recently went through this because a large portion of the PCs our operations group uses are exposed excessive levels of dust on a regular basis. The dust is ever so slightly conductive, so after a year or so power supplies and components on the board start burning up. See the helpful example I provided:

9e7acdb7-0039-47b9-93e1-c4423e7cd43a_zps808e10c4.jpg

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    most scientific cold rooms are damp and will probably kill a computer that isnt sealed

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Put the pc in a mineral oil bath! Refrigerated oil bath cooling? You'll be able to overclock the fuck out of it, and get all your work done super fast!

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    It will be fine. Had an off the shelf PC attached to a spectrometer in a cold room for years with no problems. I'd actually suggest going the opposite direction and instead of investing in filters and cases, get a junker. Something will sneak in there eventually, fancy case/filter or not. Anyway, if you're not holding your equipment together with duct tape you're not doing research :)

The thing you need to be cognizant of is how the heat of the PC affects the room, not the other way around. Make sure that 1) You turn the PC off when you're not using it/at the end of the day and 2) Your cold room has a temperature alarm (it should already). I've seen a light bulb fry everything in a cold room when the refrigeration failed overnight one time; a PC will turn the place into an oven. Temp alarms suck because you will inevitably get a false alarm text message at 2 am someday, but it's better than frying all your samples.

I would not drill a hole if I were you, there is probably some grant money going into facilities costs (electricity) and I imagine another P.I. will be pissed off about it when they move into that space eventually. Some anonymous person did that to one of my old cold rooms and managed to plug it up fairly well with putty but I always hated them.

Out of curiosity what are you setting up?

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Put the pc in a mineral oil bath! Refrigerated oil bath cooling? You'll be able to overclock the fuck out of it, and get all your work done super fast!

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

They actually sell kits for this now. I contemplated suggesting this.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    A kit?

All you need is a fishtank and some oil! (And passive coolers on your CPU, GPU and PSU [also I'd steer clear of submerging a platter drive])

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Actually a lot of cold rooms have pass through for things this already, worth a look

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Depending on what it will be doing and how much data it will need to transfer, it may be easier to get a USB wi-fi dongle and skip the drilling and running of cables

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

http://www.pugetsystems.com/submerged.php

They actually sell kits for this now. I contemplated suggesting this.

I have to admit that setup looks hella awesome despite the sheer logistical nightmare that thing would be to move/upgrade.

• Options
    Great ScottGreat Scott King of Wishful Thinking Paragon City, RIRegistered User regular

I have done this sort of setup before. The main problems that you can run into are related to the heat output of the PC, for two reasons: 1) too big a temperature differential will cause condensation, and 2) a hot-running PC can noticeably raise the temperature of its part of the room, which may not be picked up on by the thermostat.

The concerns about mold are valid, but it's a question of cost/benefit: are you more interested in saving money with a traditional desktop which will need to be replaced frequently, or are you more interested spending a lot more money for an industrial/sealed PC that might not need to be replaced?

I'm unique. Just like everyone else.