Options

Pathologically Terrified of Needles- How can I deal with this?

ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All BaconsWashington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
Good afternoon folks!

As the title indicates, I have this problem. I think it stemmed from an incident when I was really young getting a booster shot and the needle broke off in my arm. Since then I've had a pretty bad fear of needles and medical environments in general. It's gotten to the point that I'm hesitant to schedule preventative medical checkups and dental appointments because it's so hard for me to simply BE in the medical office at all. If I have to get shots I pretty much have to take them laying down because I will pass out/throw up if I've eaten or have to get more than one shot in a row. I've apparently frightened nurses because I've gone so pale and faint so quickly that they broke out smelling salts on one occasion which lead me to throw up anyway.

So! I need advice, are there any medications or techniques that I can use to remediate this? I realize logically that not going to the doctor because I'm terrified of needles is stupid, but it's something that I just can't seem to get over no matter how much I focus or concentrate when I'm there. The last time when I went to a company biometrics screening I think I made the most progress by not looking the needle and focusing on breathing and I actually made it to about 20 seconds after I got pricked before I started experiencing the cold sweats and nausea. The nurse there totally understood my situation and said there are sedatives available that can be prescribed for these anxiety attacks but I've never really heard of them being available.

So yeah, sorry for the blathering, as you can see it's a bit unsettling for me. Tips and tricks for dealing with pricks would be appreciated. :)

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    A fun trick that both gives you a distracting task to concentrate on as well as what appears to be a reduction for the pain of the jab:

Cough, moderately, just before the poke, and again as it's performed.
    Two [studies] were conducted in 2004, including one three-week study in which doctors measured variables like pain intensity, hand withdrawal and palm sweating as subjects had intravenous needles inserted in their hands — on one occasion while coughing, and on another with no coughing. Coughing, they found, reduced the pain.

I mean, obviously this doesn't totally fix your issue, but it might be a piece of the puzzle.

Cog on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Talking to the nurse helps.

Conceptualizing the needle as your silver arrow that you need to use to save Zelda from Ganon also works.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I've had a mild needle phobia ever since I was a child getting MMR booster shots.

I've been on dialysis since 2007, which requires needle sticks 3 times per week.

The best method I've found is to look away, but keep talking with the nurse or technician who is doing the stick. A good one can do it so you barely even notice when the needle goes in, although by this point I have been stuck so many times in the same area I don't even feel it most of the time.

Try not to focus on the needle, or on the fear of pain. The breathing exercises should help to keep you calm. Sometimes they can give you a topical cream to numb the area before the needle stick, but not every place has this.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    darqnessdarqness KCMORegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    I have to lay down when getting a blood test. I don't get nervous and don't mind the actual test during, but if I'm sitting up I feel sick and light-headed 5 minutes after. It's just a normal thing for some people.

And mind you I don't have a problem with needles. I have a half sleeve, full sleeve, chest, and both lower legs tattooed.

darqness on
  • Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    darqness wrote: »
    I have to lay down when getting a blood test. I don't get nervous and don't mind the actual test during, but if I'm sitting up I feel sick and light-headed 5 minutes after. It's just a normal thing for some people.

And mind you I don't have a problem with needles. I have a half sleeve, full sleeve, chest, and both lower legs tattooed.

Yes that is pretty much my reaction to a T. Nausea/cold sweats/fainting. It's really frustrating to deal with.

I'll definitely try the breathing and focusing things some more for sure, I definitely did better when I was solely focused on breathing, I'll see how it goes next time.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Is talking to a therapist of some sort out of the question? This is kind of their area when our emotions don't line up with our reason.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I loathe needles to the point that watching a nurse trying to stick me with one can induce a panic attack... so I learned to not watch when getting vaccinations or blood draws. I used to always have a book with me at the doctor's office, and now I just read something on my smart phone, looking away from the stabbing activity. Given how relatively slight the pain is (a lot less than rough housing with my cats, and one of them gets too worked up and sinks claws into my hand) just engaging my attention elsewhere is an excellent solution.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    In my youth I had the fear of needles at the level that probably most people do. So, really not at the level we're talking about here but when I was about 16 I had a bout with sever dehydration that required emergency room care. They had to give me an IV for getting fluids into me but with the dehydration, it became very difficult to get in the veins as they were shrinking up.

I was scared of the needles at that time and the fact that the phlebotomist couldn't get the IV in my arm, hand, or foot, I wasn't having a good time at all. They called in a nurse to try and she couldn't get it done. Poke poke poke. They called in an anesthesiologist and he was unsuccessful after many attempts too. It was about then that having been exposed to so many needles in a short amount of time that I was completely cured of my fear of them through what I guess is acclimation. They finally got the former combat medic who was part of the flight crew for the helicopter for the hospital to come in and he nailed the IV first try, said it wasn't the worst case of dehydration he'd seen and sat there with me while I slowly recovered.

I'm not quite sure how my story can help you as you really don't want to put yourself in any situation where you're needing to be poked with needles that much, but the thought occurred to me that maybe going to an accupuncturist might be an ideal way for you to get the exposure to safe needles in a similar fashion?

Fears are tough dog, I'd totally recommend a visit to the local college's therapy clinic to get some advice from a student for cheap. They are trained in the techniques to conquer this kind of stuff and are eager to try it out on you for cheap/free.

Good luck!

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea same experience, was afraid of needles until I had to get my appendix taken out. Cue lots of blood draws etc and I stopped caring

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Well they say facing your fears cures them. Maybe go get a tooth pick and poke yourself In the arm for a while.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Being hypersensitive to pain has left me completely phobic of needles, surgery, and most medical procedures known to hurt. I don't pass out and puke, but I sob hysterically, shake, and cold-sweat like nobody's business. But I used to be oh so much worse. I needed to be restrained by four male nurses for shots during my childhood. I needed my mom to hold my hands down as a teenager, and tried to run out of the dermatologist's office prior to getting my ears pierced at 17. So crying, shaking, and sweating is actually a massive improvement.

I shut my eyes, take deep breaths, and try to hold as still as possible for vaccines and allergy scratch tests. And I always reward myself with something nice after I go through with the procedure. Thinking about the great thing you're going to treat yourself to instead of the scary procedure you don't want to deal with helps a lot. (Make sure it's proportional to fear suffered, though.)

With big things, like surgery, get gassed out before anybody sticks a needle in you. It costs extra, but it is so worth avoiding the emotional trauma. I've had three or four different doctors recommended I get a Valium prescription, (I can't get blood drawn because I shake so badly,) which apparently is pretty easy to get a hold of with a psychiatrist or GP. Also, if you throw up maybe see if your doctor would be okay with you taking a Dramamine before or after the vaccination?

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Well they say facing your fears cures them. Maybe go get a tooth pick and poke yourself In the arm for a while.
    Don't do this. A needle is significantly sharper than a tooth pick.

If you need vaccinations, then nasal alternatives are available. They are not as good as hypodermic injections, but there's no needle involved.

Besides that, consider this: the odds of what happened to you are low. It is incredibly unlikely to happen a second time unless you go to Crazy Al's Vaccine Emporium.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Don't do this. A needle is significantly sharper than a tooth pick.

If you need vaccinations, then nasal alternatives are available. They are not as good as hypodermic injections, but there's no needle involved.

Besides that, consider this: the odds of what happened to you are low. It is incredibly unlikely to happen a second time unless you go to Crazy Al's Vaccine Emporium.

I second Rorus' statement. The more I'm exposed to painful medical procedures, the harder it is for me to deal with them. I had to deal with a slew of medical appointments over the summer for wisdom teeth, anosmia, allergies, and potentially cancerous moles. The last appointment of the summer was a consultation, to decide whether or not I wanted to get a mole that isn't currently cancerous but might be in 15 years removed. All I had to do was talk to the doctor, which normally I can do without crying. And I lost it.

Also, don't feel bad if you can't logic your way out of this phobia. Sometimes brains are jerks and like to pull the, "well X unlikely thing happened once even though you thought it wouldn't. That means you might be right about EVERY disaster scenario you come up with!"

• Options
    ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the responses guys. It does make me feel better that I'm not alone in this issue.

@Rorus Raz Yeah I should preface that the incident happened because I was apparently fidgeting around and screaming like a banshee when I was lot younger (so my folks tell it, I only recall the needle sticking out of the arm and blood squirting out of the broken part)

@Creagan That does sound like good advice. I am nothing if not an emotional eater/shopper. Treating myself to a delicious chicken sandwich or some ammo for my rifle definitely sounds like a good think to focus on. I guess I'm going to try and keep focusing on getting myself in the right frame of mind every time I need to go to the doctor/dentist.

• Options
    Well, I wouldn't recommend poking himself with an actual needle. Give yourself an infection that way. The toothpick may seem silly, bit it could get you used to the feeling of getting poked by a needle. Confronting fears often works this way. People scared of snakes handle rubber ones before real ones. People scared of heights might climb a short ladder before looking off a cliff.

And if it doesn't help then the worst that happened is you spent a few minutes of time.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    While my wife was training to be a nurse, she pumped about a gallon of saline into my arm, one terrifying needle at a time. I got to practice my methods of distracting myself. My best one was mentally reciting long, esoteric lists. Sports team rosters, the weapon hardpoints on a Sovereign-class starship, raid buff overlap in World of Warcraft, anything that'll take you several minutes of concentration and a bit of brain searching to finish. You want to know the prick's coming, so you can control your reflexes, but you don't want to be consciously waiting for it.

Needles breaking off is really rare, and it's a lot more rare with adults than kids. With kids, it's very likely to be the kid's fault, not the doctor's, because kids are more likely to pull away, squirm, or jump when they're getting shots.

Now, that may not have been the case with your incident, but believing it was might help you, because it mean's believing you're the one in control of the situation and you're the one who can prevent another mishap.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I had a fairly ridiculous fear of spiders and just kinda dealt with it by letting a defanged tarantula crawl over my arm for a few minutes. The feeling still guks me out, but I'm not irrationally afraid any more.

• Options
    Something else came to mind, if you have blood drawn, butterfly syringes are less painful than regular syringes. And less scary looking.

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    With dental appointments specifically, they have other options than traditional syringes these days. Next time, if you actually need a shot, talk to your dentist about it.

They'll have what is essentially an automated needle that'll deliver multiple small jabs in the area, which will feel far less needly-esque, and won't look quite like the needle you're expecting, which can be a benefit in itself.

I've found that something like that can make a difference, sometimes. I have a fairly bad needle phobia, but can sit through hours of tattoo work without any issue - it's that very specific syringe thing that fucks me up, so anything that's removed from that idea is fine - which might be the case for you as well, so in some situations you might actually have alternatives.

This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Well, I wouldn't recommend poking himself with an actual needle. Give yourself an infection that way. The toothpick may seem silly, bit it could get you used to the feeling of getting poked by a needle. Confronting fears often works this way. People scared of snakes handle rubber ones before real ones. People scared of heights might climb a short ladder before looking off a cliff.

This might work for somebody who's just afraid of the syringe itself, but probably won't do anything for somebody who's scared of the pain.

I'm specifically terrified of the pain, because I'm hypersensitive and shots really really hurt. (Like, to the point where I can't move my arm for several days because of the pain.) That sort of conditioning actually validates my fears because if getting poked hurts, a shot is gonna be about a hundred times worse. I don't get used to the feeling, I just confirm to myself over and over again how bad the shot's gonna be. My anxieties compound. Then I try to run out of the doctor's office like I did when I got my ears pierced at 17.

If I'm going to handle something like a shot in a remotely calm manner, I can't think about what's gonna happen. I force myself into a state of total denial, to the point where all medical procedures become "appointments with Mr. Unger" (or whatever the doctor's name is.) Then I focus on the great thing I'm gonna give myself after I deal with the appointment. That way I don't get quite as worked up as I used to as a kid.

• Options
    Are you hypersensitive to all pain, Creagan? If so, I'd seriously look into getting something to help with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperalgesia is a totally real thing and should be treated as such.

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    You could ask for emla cream to numb the area if it's a fear of the associated pain. It's a topical that they use on infants to start IVs.

Personally I think it's easier to think of the stick and really focus on it and watch the needle go in. A blood draw is almost completely painless if you take the natural fear of something penetrating your skin out of the whole thing. It's like a big mosquito.

Dealing with the anxiety and fear of it is something you will have to figure out. Things I've heard from patients that work are.

Bring a stress ball and clench it in the other hand the entire time.

Jab yourself using a fingernail with your free hand, thumb to finger.

Focus on clenching your toes over and over.

Recite the alphabet in your head, backwards.

Count something (number of tiles on the ceiling, floor, dots on a shirt, etc)

I guess since humans are pretty bad and fully concentrating on two things, occupying your brain with another thing entirely (pain, math, counting, alphabet in the above examples) seems to be the best bet. If you're good at simply removing yourself mentally from the situation, just imagine yourself watching the whole thing through someone elses eyes and that's not really your arm. Without the anxiety and absent of any conditions that reduce your pain threshold or increase sensitivity to pain it'll just feel like a pinch.

If it feels real real bad, and only you can decide if it does... go ahead and ask for a prescription for emla cream. Be warned, it can tingle or burn a little bit as it's just local anesthetic that can soak through skin.

wiki entry for EMLA

Edit: ... Holy crap Creagan.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    SineNomine00SineNomine00 Registered User regular
    I suffer from the same problem, and I have a couple techniques I use. It seems like your reaction isn't a hypersensitivity to pain, but rather a vasovagal reaction to the fear and sensation of the needle stick. Which is very common.

First, and I believe that you do this, I tell every health care worker that is going to stick me that I have a history of vasovagal reaction. These folks are generally very experienced, and will bring in juice ahead of time, put you in a reclining or supine position, put pillows under your legs, and put a fan on you, as long as you let them know that you consistently have it. They also will try to spend more time relaxing you, and talking to you. I generally sit in the chair in the corner if they have one in the exam room, and find something interesting on the wall to look at while they do it. I also start a conversation that will require me to give a thoughtful and long response while they do whatever they have to do. Distraction helps. No amount of logic ever made my fear any better, and looking just freaked me out. Also, while I understand you may attempt to mitigate your nausea by not eating (I do the same thing), I would strongly suggest being well hydrated beforehand, due to how the a vasovagal reaction works. Drink some gatorade (or whatever sports drink) or juice well before you go in, it will hydrate you, provide electrolytes, and make sure your blood sugar isn't bottomed out when you vagal.

For the dentist office, I would do much the same, and ask if they offer any pre-sedation that you can take advantage of. Most dentists offices offer some sort of sedation options for anxious patients (at least more of them have been over the last 5 years or so). If you are getting something major done, they will often give you something for the night before as well. Usually its a benzo of some sort, one to relax you, and two to give you some light antegrade amnesia effects. Only downside is that you're gonna need a ride. Also, many dentists offices will offer a sort of "dry run" appointment for extremely anxious patients. You go in, you get checked in just like normal, they sit you in the chair, evaluate you, chat for a bit, and then send you on your way. This is a great way to get used to the environment without the fear of any treatments. These are usually done shortly before your real appointment, and they may give you whatever pre-sedation meds you will require at this time. The most important thing is communicate, and ask what their options are.

Just remember, you aren't alone out there for this. Just prepare, breathe, and distract. The people that are taking care of you see this all the time, and will do their best to help you through it. Being honest and forthright with the severity of your reactions is an important step in helping your care provider give you the best care that they can. They know all the tricks, trust me. I know what you're going through.

• Options
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    Are you hypersensitive to all pain, Creagan? If so, I'd seriously look into getting something to help with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperalgesia is a totally real thing and should be treated as such.

Pretty much, yeah. But I thought it was because I'm a redhead and undoubtedly have the gene that causes differences in pain sensitivity. I'm very sensitive to temperature changes and super resistant to anesthetic. (It took three tries to knock me out when I got my wisdom teeth removed, and the surgeon couldn't believe I was still conscious.)

Although I have such bad rhinitis I've never had a sense of smell & apparently that's caused by chronic untreated allergies... So maybe it's tied to this Hyperalgesia thing somehow? I'll see if I notice any changes once I get on medication for it.

• Options
    Good man, Creagan. If there's something wrong with your physiology, do what you can do make it less so. I'd heard of this 'redheads are more sensitive to pain' shit before, but weren't vikings redheads? I've read stories about those guys being tough. Be a viking! BERSERKER!

• Options
    The gene doesn't affect all redheads, just a really large percentage of them. My redheaded sister has a super high pain tolerance. But I'm working on the whole haven't-been-able-to-smell-since-birth thing. (Although I can't bring myself to get the contrast MRI I need because it involves an IV they won't knock me unconscious for.)

Also, vikings weren't exclusively redheads. And they were on a shit ton of drugs, so any pain-sensitivity was probably moot at that point.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    I have had a fear of needles my whole life, my phobia was about as bad as the OP's. I still hate them but I've got a process now for getting through them.

Firstly if you have to lie down, then lie down. The more still and relaxed you are the easier and quicker the whole thing goes.

Next, no drawing it out, just don't focus on the fear, sit there and do not give in to the temptation to say stop, if you do that you draw the whole thing out and it gets worse.

The most important piece of advice is DO NOT LOOK AT THE DAMN NEEDLE. Just lie down and look the other way, go to your mental happy place, sing a song in your head, read the stupid posters on the walls it doesn’t matter. Just do not look at the needle or what the nurse is doing until she's done and the needle is out your arm. I cannot overstate how much this helps.

Really the main thing that worked for me was being too ashamed to back down, I'm an adult and freaking out over needles made me feel dumb, so I learned to power through the fear.