Options

Installing Manga Studio 5 on a laptop with no CD

sampangolinsampangolin Registered User regular
Hello all,

I think the title explains it! As I understand it, Smith Micro have stopped allowing downloads and just sell physical copies of Manga Studio. My laptop has an SSD and a larger regular HD, but no CD. What do? Is there some obvious solution here I have missed? I'm happy to pay for the software.

manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5/#pricing

I'm in the UK if it makes any difference. Amazon sell it also, but obviously that's physical too.

Thanks in advance for any help

• Options
    Khade97Khade97 PE10, UKRegistered User regular
    External USB DVD drives are pretty cheap these days - you can pick up a Samsung one from Amazon for less than £20 (and a unbranded one even cheaper). Something worth having around as more devices stop having / needing built in optical drives.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Also, if you have access to a different computer with an optical drive, you should be able to make an .iso of the install disk, copy that over to a usb stick, move it to your lappy, and then mount the .iso in a virtual drive. (A native feature in win8, if you happen to have that)

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. It's a good point about the external drive Khade, but part of my reason for getting a laptop is a reduction in the amount of stuff I have before I move early next year, so I'd rather not buy more 'stuff' if possible.

Aioua, I do indeed have another computer with a CD drive, and my laptop has Windows 8.1 running. Could you point me in the direction of some instructions for how to do that?

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Use ImgBurn to create the ISO. Insert disc, start the program and there is a Create Image from Disc option. That will leave you with the iso. Copy that and on the laptop you will be able to mount the iso as if it was a DVD.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2013
    Myiagros has it.

ImgBurn

In win 8 you literally just doubleclick on the .iso and windows suddenly pretends it has a disk drive with that disk in. Then just find setup.exe or whathaveyou.

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    donavannjdonavannj Registered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    Myiagros has it.

ImgBurn

In win 8 you literally just doubleclick on the .iso and windows suddenly pretends it has a disk drive with that disk in. Then just find setup.exe or whathaveyou.

Worst case scenario if mounting the iso doesn't work for some dumb reason is to just download and install 7zip and extract the iso to a folder and then find setup.exe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Realised I didn't update this. I found an even simpler method my brother recommended to me.

If your second machine which does have a cd drive is on the same wifi network, you can put the cd in that machine then tell both machines to turn network sharing on.

Tell the CD drive machine that the D drive (or whichever the CD is) is also ok to be shared, and then in explorer on your main laptop you should see the CD drive appear. Then just install as normal.

These were both windows 8 laptops, don't know if it would be as smooth if not.