As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bourbon and Laptops. [Solved and no longer in denial.]

ViskodViskod Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
So last night a very small amount of bourbon whiskey got splashed onto the keyboard of my Alienware M17X laptop. I immediately turned it off, unplugged it, and flipped it upside down and the whiskey came right off. Keeping it upside down I wiped off the keyboard and left it sitting open, upside down on the coffee table all night so the keyboard was perfectly flat on the table.

I tried it turn it on this morning and it booted up perfectly fine, it recognizes the wireless usb mouse, and the track pad and the mouse buttons on it work fine. Only, it will not recognize any input from any other key. None of the keys on the keyboard or the number pad, and not even the volume and control buttons on the top next to the power button, which it still recognizes when you press that to turn it on.

Is there some way I could have accidentally just locked the keyboard completely? maybe while wiping it off? It was a very small amount that actually got onto the keyboard, I just find it odd that it would shut down the entire thing like that.

Viskod on

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    It's possible that a bit got on the circuit board for the keyboard.

I don't know about that specific model, but in larger laptops like that is usually relatively easy to replace the keyboard assembly yourself.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Yeah, probably.

I think I'll just take it in and have an actual professional look at it and do that. You say its relatively easy, but for me hearing that is equivalent to someone laying down on my dining room table and saying "I just need a little bit of heart surgery, it's simple you can do it."

Thanks a5ehren.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    It really isn't bad. It might be worth doing a quick youtube search for you model number and "keyboard replacement" though an alienware might not be common enough to hit paydirt.

Then you can make an informed decision to just pay somebody to do it.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish