As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pete Seeger, legendary musician, passes at 94

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
edited January 2014 in Social Entropy++
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/29/arts/music/pete-seeger-songwriter-and-champion-of-folk-music-dies-at-94.html?smid=tw-share

Known for the legend scrawled around the outside of his banjo head, which reads "This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender", legendary folk and bluegrass musician Pete Seeger has died, and my heart is broken.

Metzger Meister on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    No bro button or a 40oz on the curb either

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NJFiSwkHyc

It's awfully dusty in this room.
    The shadow cast by that voice reaches all the way back to my childhood. A legend passes, today.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    From Arlo Guthrie on Facebook:
    Pete Seeger:

I usually do a little meditation and prayer every night before I go to sleep - Just part of the routine. Last night, I decided to go visit Pete Seeger for a while, just to spend a little time together, it was around 9 PM. So I was sitting in my home in Florida, having a lovely chat with Pete, who was in a hospital in New York City. That's the great thing about thoughts and prayers- You can go or be anywhere.

I simply wanted him to know that I loved him dearly, like a father in some ways, a mentor in others and just as a dear friend a lot of the time. I'd grown up that way - loving the Seegers - Pete & Toshi and all their family.

I let him know I was having trouble writing his obituary (as I'd been asked) but it seemed just so silly and I couldn't think of anything that didn't sound trite or plain stupid. "They'll say something appropriate in the news," we agreed. We laughed, we talked, and I took my leave about 9:30 last night.

"Arlo" he said, sounding just like the man I've known all of my life, "I guess I'll see ya later." I've always loved the rising and falling inflections in his voice. "Pete," I said. "I guess we will."

I turned off the light and closed my eyes and fell asleep until very early this morning, about 3 AM when the texts and phone calls started coming in from friends telling me Pete had passed away.

"Well, of course he passed away!" I'm telling everyone this morning. "But that doesn't mean he's gone."

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    mcpmcp Registered User regular
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Wait, the guy who played Carmela Soprano's dad died?

vlcsnap-00282.png

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote: »
    From Arlo Guthrie on Facebook:
    Pete Seeger:

I usually do a little meditation and prayer every night before I go to sleep - Just part of the routine. Last night, I decided to go visit Pete Seeger for a while, just to spend a little time together, it was around 9 PM. So I was sitting in my home in Florida, having a lovely chat with Pete, who was in a hospital in New York City. That's the great thing about thoughts and prayers- You can go or be anywhere.

I simply wanted him to know that I loved him dearly, like a father in some ways, a mentor in others and just as a dear friend a lot of the time. I'd grown up that way - loving the Seegers - Pete & Toshi and all their family.

I let him know I was having trouble writing his obituary (as I'd been asked) but it seemed just so silly and I couldn't think of anything that didn't sound trite or plain stupid. "They'll say something appropriate in the news," we agreed. We laughed, we talked, and I took my leave about 9:30 last night.

"Arlo" he said, sounding just like the man I've known all of my life, "I guess I'll see ya later."
    I've always loved the rising and falling inflections in his voice. "Pete," I said. "I guess we will."

I turned off the light and closed my eyes and fell asleep until very early this morning, about 3 AM when the texts and phone calls started coming in from friends telling me Pete had passed away.

"Well, of course he passed away!" I'm telling everyone this morning. "But that doesn't mean he's gone."

oh god now i'm crying fuck

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I read Abiyoyo to my students almost every day. I know they don't know who Pete Seeger is other than the guy who wrote their favourite book, but gat damn he's wonderful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAIM02kv0g

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    goddamn guys i'm seriously broken up over this, like moreso than is probably reasonable. i haven't been this affected by a celebrity's death since Dio passed away.

• Options
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    On Point with Tom Ashbrook had a really good show on Pete today.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Mr Seeger has had what you might call an effect on my life

lwMLiV6.jpg

edited for flying too close to the nipple-sun

Fire Truck on
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    i think that something like that'll be my first tattoo. a heart, over my heart, with that written around it.

also, oh gosh a nip :oops:

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    picture cropped to avoid a scandal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgzl1Sai4Y0

I just sent this to all the lady engineers I know, and I know quite a few.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options