As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can you ever re-capture your first mmo experience?

Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
It doesn't matter how much better the graphics get, how much better the UI, the gameplay, the PvP. No matter what I do and what game I play I can't seem to re-capture those first few sessions of logging in to play the original Everquest. Is it possible to get that same feeling again?

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Not really.

My first mmo was City of Heroes.

Nothing has managed to capture the theme and feel quite right. First character, stopping a potential outbreak, then feeling like Wolverine in X-men 1 after waking up.

Exploring the city, learning it's secrets, meeting the people (both NPCs and other players). Seeing areas under construction (literally), then the next update rolls around and there's a new building!

Hell, I can't explain it but when they did their first signature story arc (major narrative arc), I did it on my 1st character, and it actually felt like I was a member of their team (more like League then Avengers though).

Saints Row 4 comes close with the way it's powers feel, but I'm not being a hero, I'm playing one.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    edited January 2014
    Nope. In fact I've always found it a cosmic coincidence that they call using heroin "chasing the dragon".

InfamyDeferred on
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Not with how current MMOs are played and presented to us, though I can imagine playing an MMO, first person style with an Oculus Rift and an Omni, total immersion then add MMO and raiding in a huge party or PVP.. I think that would give you the same sense of awe as checking out the Estate of Unrest and watching some poor sap get trained by the Hag.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    Man, the Oculus Rift... I feel like that's its own piece of magic waiting to happen, MMO or not.

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Maybe if someone made an MMO that felt sufficiently different from the old experiences... but as long as they are basically in the same vein of the World of Warcraft style solo-friendly leveling process, group-friendly endgame model, they'll all be trying to scratch an itch that I no longer suffer from.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Maybe if someone made an MMO that felt sufficiently different from the old experiences... but as long as they are basically in the same vein of the World of Warcraft style solo-friendly leveling process, group-friendly endgame model, they'll all be trying to scratch an itch that I no longer suffer from.

It's sad because IMO the MMO gerne still leaves LOTS of room for experimentation. Sadly, big-budget MMO's aren't in a price range which allows taking risks.

• Options
    Plat0nicPlat0nic Registered User regular
    Chasing the dragon is clearly better suited to ones first MMORPG experience :D

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No poll threads.

YL9WnCY.png
This discussion has been closed.