As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blue Screen of Death & Memory Management

BruanBruan Registered User regular
Hello everyone!

I don't know much about computers. My computer started crashing within the past few weeks. I've run AVG, Kapersky, and Windows Defender anti-viruses, which have found nothing. I downloaded memtest and ran it, but I have no idea how to read it.

Does anyone know what this means?
Thank you for your help.ckw5uqtdxge4.jpg

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
3DS: 2122-5983-8919

• Options
    BruanBruan Registered User regular
    well, I ran each of my ram stick things independently, and one of them was popping up red like crazy! So I took it out and things seem to be running fine. I suppose I"ll just sit around with the bad stick out see what happens.

Any advice would be great! I'm stumbling around in the dark over here.

Playstation: Anthai (Destiny)
    WiiU: jooncole (Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate)
    3DS: 2122-5983-8919
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Bruan wrote: »
    well, I ran each of my ram stick things independently, and one of them was popping up red like crazy! So I took it out and things seem to be running fine. I suppose I"ll just sit around with the bad stick out see what happens.

Any advice would be great! I'm stumbling around in the dark over here.

Sounds like you found the bad ram, so good job on that, if it's not that old you could try and RMA it to the manufacturer, not sure what the warranties on ram are like.

You'll be fine running one stick, just it won't be as fast anymore as your not running in dual channel mode, most real world benchmarks only show a 5-10% decrease in performance at most for that though.

But if you can't get the ram replaced on warranty then just pickup a single stick of ram with the same size/speed/timings and it should work with the old stick.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Most RAM companies have pretty long warranties it's worth a look

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    by long, its limited-lifetime.