As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Archery Gear?

Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
So I've been interested in getting started on target shooting for a bit, but I'm not entirely sure where to start as far as obtaining the requisite equipment. I have an interest in recurve over composite bows, but I'm not sure how to compare the varying brands and making sense of a number of the intricacies involved (already aware of frames with interchangeable limbs and the importance of draw length). Any suggestions from more experienced archers would be appreciated!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Composite? Do you mean compound? Because you can get recurve bows that are made of composite materials.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Don't spend hundreds of dollars on a tournament level bow with sights and stabilizers right off the bat, they are very expensive for little payout when you're a beginner.

Draw length isn't going to be too big of a deal with a recurve bow, since you're bending a stick it is a lot more forgiving than pulling back wheels.
    Get an arm guard, this isn't optional, that shit hurts.
    Finger guard is optional, after about a year of shooting every weekend I built up callouses and didn't like using the finger guard anymore.

I'd look up an archery range or your local parks/recreation centers to see if they have any archery classes, that'll let you try it out and talk to people with more experience to find the right setup for you.

edit; also if you plan on buying your own bow make sure to get some nocks

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Find a shop and someone (preferably a coach) to at least walk you through the basics. For real. If you try and teach yourself you're fighting an uphill battle with recurve. I say this as someone who shoots both compound target (I used to coach kids in target compound as well) and Olympic-style recurve. Target (or Olympic) recurve has fairly specialized equipment but it's not impossible to find and there's actually a really great community of Oly-recurve folks out there once you get started that really like to help.

If you're serious about target recurve, buy used starting out if you can. Spend your money on the riser since that will last awhile, but you'll go through limbs and arrows quickly. I don't know how tall you are or your age, but I can't stress this enough: light weight draw. At first you are going to start super light, then work your way up. This is why I tell you don't sweat the $600 limbs up front. You'll wind up buying at least 3 sets before it's all said and done and you settle in, and every time you buy limbs you're likely buying new arrows.

I can PM you a list of the stuff you'll want to look at if you'd like, rather than trying to make some huge mega-post (and risk looking like I was plugging someone's shop or site and angering the gods). There's some gear that's simply required, other stuff that makes your life easier, and stuff you don't need up front, but will want. I also have some recommendations for reading if you'd like as well.

But seriously, do some checking - do some driving if you have to - but find a decent teacher/coach to get you started. Once you develop bad habits they are ridiculously hard to break. Worse yet, you don't want to wind up hurting yourself because you calculated your arrow spine incorrectly and jammed it through your hand or something equally unpleasant.

PM if you have any questions at all, because I could go on for awhile. :p

Edit: for the sake of me giving you something substantive, pick up a copy of Tony Camera's "Shooting the Stickbow." It's a whopping 17 bucks and will answer a lot of questions as you're getting started. It's a really solid reference guide for recurve (olympic and traditional) that I tend to go back to alot.

wrong_button on
  • Options
    InxInx Registered User regular
    I recently got into target shooting myself, and I can say that my research pointed me towards starting out with a Samick Sage takedown recurve. Everything I've read indicates that it and the Samick Polaris are some of the best starter bows for the money, and aren't bad intermediate bows either, so you get a LOT of life out of only around $150 investment. Start light, 25 lb draw is best to start, it's harder than it looks.

I'm still figuring out the mysteries of proper arrow selection...

• Options
    SanguineAngelSanguineAngel Lord Centre of the UniverseRegistered User regular
    Hey, I'm not sure where abouts you're based but based on my experience here in the UK I would suggest simply attending a local archery club and undergoing a beginner's course. I am sure most clubs will have their own set of basic beginner equipment and here at least, a beginner course will culminate in a licence. Plus, with the experience there, under the guidance of a proper trainer they'll be able to properly advise you on the best equipment.

If you can't find a local club then most dedicated shops here have equipment to measure draw length and weight. The shop I use has a limb exchange program where you start with lighter weight limbs and over the next few months you can exchange free of charge as often as you need for heavier limbs when you build up your strength.

Generally speaking,you do probably want to start with recurve for a while - going straight to compound will mean missing a lot of basic techniques that you really benefit from perfecting.

Hope that helps a little

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wrong_buttonwrong_button Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Inx wrote: »
    I recently got into target shooting myself, and I can say that my research pointed me towards starting out with a Samick Sage takedown recurve. Everything I've read indicates that it and the Samick Polaris are some of the best starter bows for the money, and aren't bad intermediate bows either, so you get a LOT of life out of only around $150 investment. Start light, 25 lb draw is best to start, it's harder than it looks.

I'm still figuring out the mysteries of proper arrow selection...

Arrow selection is a pain, but it gets easier (unless you're like me and have a really long draw length, in which case it only gets expensive :| ) but this chart will help you out a lot. Get the spine right and always go longer than you need. A lot of times your draw length will increase once you settle in and your form gets established. You can always cut them down, but you can't make 'em longer.

Edit: but if you are even a little hazy, you should call where you're buying shafts/built arrows from and have them double check your math. Get the spine wrong and you're gonna have flight problems, even at lower weights.

wrong_button on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    Are you more interested in Olympic style target archery with sights/stabilisers, or a more traditional set up? You mentioned you weren't super keen on compound bows.

Either way, finding a local club with someone there to coach you is probably your best bet. Pretty much every club has a few pieces of equipment that they can rent out or lend to beginners to teach them the basics, so at least try that out before going off and spending crazy money on a bow. If you can't find a local club and just want to practice in your backyard or something (which is how I learned), be thorough in your research. You could learn some nasty habits that are hard to break (this was kinda me).

That being said, if you're gonna buy a bow then I'd recommend a few things.
    Start with a low draw weight. I kicked off at 25, which felt kinda low to me when I first started, but I know a lot of people start at 30.
    Get an arm guard. If you're learning, you're going to need one. I learned without one and let me tell ya, I had some mighty fine bruises. Nothing like having half your forearm coloured yellow to teach you the importance of holding your bow properly.
    Finger tabs/shooting gloves are a maybe. I don't use one, but I'm only a hobby shooter. I know some competitive shooters who swear that they couldn't go 5 minutes without a tab. Maybe get a cheap one and see how it goes until it wears out (if it's cheap, that will be quickly).

There are some really cheap beginner level bows out there if you go that route. Someone mentioned the Samick Sage, costs about $150 and is fantastically easy to learn on.

Arrows are a little more annoying to choose. You have to get the right length and spine (stiffness) to match your draw length and weight of your bow. Get your draw length measured at a store or club and they can tell you how to get the right arrows.

Also make sure if you do get a bow, to get some string wax. It's really cheap (stupid cheap) and lasts a while. If you just keep the string waxed up it will last longer and you won't need to buy a new one as often.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I recently picked up archery by attending a beginners course at my local club, and would totally agree with the suggestions above to go that route (as opposed to buying a bow yourself).

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Composite? Do you mean compound?

Yeah, bit of a brainfart there I meant Compound. For the most part I'm not looking into anything ridiculously fancy as far as stabilizers/sights/etc either, which certainly helps as far as cost goes.

I'm in the southeastern US, so there are a few ranges around that I've been looking into that offer classes.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2014
    When I shot longbow, I joined a traditional league. I'd consider that to be absolutely critical to really enjoying the sport, as there's such a world of difference between compound shooters and traditional. It also gave me a weekly event to go to to make sure I actually stuck to a schedule of practicing.

My first bow was a thirty pound draw, and that was probably too light to start with IMO. Not only did I outpace it quickly, but it was probably too light to start with.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.