As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heroscape?

ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
I've been thinking about getting into tabeltop gaming, and I like the idea of 40k, but the painting looks like it will get too expensive for me.

What's the general opinion on Heroscape?

Scrumtrulescent on

• Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I bought the big Heroscape box thingy but only played it like once.

I guess it wouldn't've been a waste of cash if I'd gotten to actually play it more. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'm in the same boat. I got it on clearance, and have never gotten a chance to play it.

The plan, I guess, is to someday use it as terrain.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    The gameplay is... okay. After three or four games, you'll start seeing that you're just doing the same thing over and over again. You may get a dozen plays out of it if you really like it, but it is pretty weak in terms of depth. I just use the guys in it for extra D&D minis and terrain any more.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The gameplay is... okay. After three or four games, you'll start seeing that you're just doing the same thing over and over again. You may get a dozen plays out of it if you really like it, but it is pretty weak in terms of depth. I just use the guys in it for extra D&D minis and terrain any more.

So I should avoid it?

See, I really, really think I'd like Warhammer, but all the painting and assembling is turning me off to it. I'd screw up a bunch of my figures if I painted them.

And if I were to get into D and D, the only other person I'd be able to get into a party is my brother, and that would not be a sufficient party.

We don't know anyone else who would join us.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    Naked_NinjaNaked_Ninja Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Think of it as Warhammer lite. Really really lite. My D&D group would sometimes play this when the full group couldn't attend. It's fairly simplistic, but the fact that it is a miniatures wargame that requires no painting/assembly/terrain construction (other than setting up the hexes) was a huge plus. Since my group is primarily a RPG group, we aren't big wargaming buffs so the simplicity didn't bother us.

We are the drinking beers and cracking stupid jokes kind of group, so the simplicity of this wargame didn't bother us one bit. If you are a super serious gamer, or your group is, then you should probably look for a different game.

Final verdict: Good beer and pretzels type game. I give it a :^: for relatively little prep time.

Naked_Ninja on
    Implementor.png
  • Options
    AnakinOUAnakinOU Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    HS is decent enough. The Master Set is a good start, but for the system to really pay off, you need to invest in (a) some "common" squads, and (b) the Road to Forgotten Forest set.

The Master Set has only unique units, meaning you can only have one per side. If you have common units, you can have multiples of that unit no your side, and when you choose to "activate" a common squad, you can choose which ones you want to use. Very nifty.

RtFF adds road and bridge pieces, which are very cool (increases movements), as well as trees. The trees are great pieces that really flesh out maps (and provide cover).

Of course, there's a ton of expansion figs available. 5 "waves" of expansion figs right now, ranging from tiny robotic death rats, to HUGE giants and dragons. The best part about the expansions is that there is no blind purchasing. You know what you're getting in the box. Very nice. Terrain-wise, there's also a lava set, snow/ice set, and castle set...so if you like the map building, you can get plenty of variety there, too.

HS is one of the most popular games in my group. Right up there with Puerto Rico, Power Grid, I'm the Boss, Code 777, etc. Sure, it's not a "great" game, with amazing depth and whatnot, but it's fun.

AnakinOU on