As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

skull/face study

in_absentiain_absentia Registered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey, at the suggestion of some of the guys on the forum, I'm going to draw as many faces/skulls as it takes for my faces to come out right.

I'm planning on putting up each and everyone I draw without censoring myself or putting up "only the good ones." So, in the order I drew them:

skull.jpg

skull1.jpg

skull2.jpg

[edit]I feel like I have to mention that for these three, I didn't have an erasure or drawing penciles...just my trusty .05 I'll try and see what i can get here at college.[/edit]

in_absentia on

• Options
    SunStreakerSunStreaker Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    In the second one, the bridge of the nose seems off for some reason, maybe its too narrow?

In the last one, the upper lip portion (for lack of a better term) seems long in proportion to the bottom lip/chin area. The top of the head also seems quite flat and small.

SunStreaker on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Take more time and work carefully on these. It doesn't matter how many you can churn out if they're wrong every time. Each one of these are skewed and have proportion problems. The scribble shading just makes things look messy and rushed. Omit the shading altogether and focus more on getting the proportions and the form right. Use a ruler if you have to.

And don't fool yourself into thinking that you need "drawing tools" to draw. Use a 10 cent bic pen if you have to. Technique is orders of magnitude more important than what materials you're working with.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    flatlinegraphicsflatlinegraphics Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    when sketching, i find its better to NOT have an eraser. it makes you think more about where to put lines, and more disciplined shading. at most you should find an hb and a 2/4b pencil.

don;t try to nail the contours in one shot. using lighter (harder) pencils will make you build up your drawings. start with form and mass, and then work up to details.

i assume that you are working from a model of some sort? and that all three are of the same model? spend more time looking and seeing the item. it seems that you are filling in what you know is there instead of what is actually there. for instance, the second one is missing all of the molars. the first one, the left side is wonky, namly the point of the jaw. the right side of the upper jaw and cheek bone of the left side is mooshed.

i hope you take this all as constructive criticism.

flatlinegraphics on
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    less quantity, more quality. spend all the time that you would to make these haphazard ones and make one decent piece and you will feel much more accomplished.

the proportions are off, especially in the jaw area and you seem to elongate the skulls innecessarily.

keep practicing, these aren't bad, but spend all your effort into one good one using a good reference and you'll do worlds better.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png