As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PS3/Destiny Help! Tower is a Ghost Town/Can't Connect to PvP!

Grunt's GhostsGrunt's Ghosts Registered User regular
edited September 2014 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've decided to make this help thread so I don't plague the Destiny thread with my problems. I've been playing Destiny on the PS3 with a wireless wifi connection with a Linksys router. When I play alone, the tower hub, a social place that you would normally see a ton of people running around in, is empty. Joining other people's fireteam allows me to see people. Then when I try to join Crucible (PvP part of the game), the game sits on the loading screen waiting to connect me forever (I've waiting 10 minutes once before backing out.) Now I've been told to fix my NAT setting, which it seems should be NAT 2, but my PS3 shows its NAT 2. I've read about port forwarding but I'm not sure how that works exactly, so I'm sure I haven't done everything right. The part there I'm confused about is the Port In/Out. Every site seems to have a different set of numbers, all that don't seem to work. I need help! I'm basically missing half the game because of this and it's the half I was excited about!

Grunt's Ghosts on

• Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    I don't think you actually have to change any port settings, unless some are specifically blocked, when you have a NAT 2. It won't hurt to try, of course.

Are you getting any error messages ever from Destiny, or does it just endlessly try to connect/find other players? You don't ever get disconnected?

I was having connection issues and had to turn off Flood Protection (probably called IP Flood Protection, or something similar in your modem's firewall settings) which helped, but that might not be your problem. Try and see, though, just in case. And read up on what it does, in case you decide it's not worth it.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Again, I had the same problem, port forwarding fixed it. Follow the instructions I linked back in the Destiny thread EXACTLY and it will most likely solve your problem. I had NAT 2 as well but it was still blocking things until I had forwarded the right ports.

http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/PlayStation_Network/Linksys.htm

Otherwise call your ISP and see if they're blocking something on their end.

• Options
    I don't get DC'd but I'm never been able to get I to Crucibles. It just endlessly searching/evaluating guardians.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I don't get DC'd but I'm never been able to get I to Crucibles. It just endlessly searching/evaluating guardians.

Right, the ports that the PS3 uses to connect are possibly being blocked. You have to tell your router to keep those ports open.

You may also want to try doing a wired connection instead directly from the modem to the PS3 instead of using wireless.

• Options
    I called my ISP and they send me to thr router company and even they couldn't figure it out. I'll see what I can do about a wired connection since I got the PS3 on the other side of the house.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    You can also use the DMZ option on your router. There should be an option marked DMZ where you can set an IP address, then simply set your console to that address. Simply put it opens all ports on the address. It's not really an issue for consoles since nobody can exactly hack into one in the first place.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    None of this has worked so I'm going to try to get enough CAT-5 cable to do a wired connection. With luck, that will change things.