As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Being told I need to vacate by 10/15. Legal?

DrezDrez Registered User regular
Long story short/relevant facts:

- We've lived in this house since 1993
- We've been off lease for quite some time
- Our landlady and my grandmother passed away the same weekend late last year. As a result, my landlady's son inherited the 2-family house we're in and my father inherited my grandmother's house.
- A few months ago we had a verbal discussion with the landlady's son (new landlord) and we all agreed I would assume the rent and become the new tenant
- About a month ago the landlord put the house up for sale without actually telling me. He said he was going to do that eventually and would let us know but then I come home one day with a realtor sign on the front lawn
- Neither my father nor I have ever missed a payment. I last handed him a check on 9/12, three days early, while he was here doing improvements upstairs
- He noticed at that time that there was a leak so a plumber came in and checked under the sink - there was some rotting there which I guess the landlord wasn't aware of
- The landlord sent me a text about 30 minutes ago saying he needs me out by 10/15 because he has to do work down here and can't while I'm living here

The message was extremely abrupt and unexpected. I told him on 9/12 that I was still looking but wasn't sure exactly when I would be out. He did not say that I needed to move soon or anything. His text said he cannot let me stay indefinitely and that I should put pressure on my friends (I mentioned to him a potential subletting option) and now he is throwing that in my face. He also suggested that there are studios in the area that are cheaper than what I am paying him. I find that inappropriate given the tone of his email.

So, aren't I due at least 30 days notice I vacate? How does this work. I never thought he would pull this on me.

I can't really afford to drop and move immediately time or money wise. A lot of shit is going on at work and that subletting option probably won't open up until November at the earliest.

I also think it's shitty that he texted me this instead of calling me or discussing this with me in person. I haven't responded yet. Thoughts?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited September 2014
    Depends on the local laws, since you don't have a lease. An attorney should be able to answer that question for you. Possibly even a quick call to the local constable or equivalent.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    [Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer The following advice is based on my time working with rental properties in Oregon, and may not apply where you live.]

First, read your rental agreement / lease, if you still have it. While you are on a month-to-month tenancy, the paperwork should list your rights in regards to notices and termination. Consult your local landlord-tenant laws as well.
    Second, notification by text is almost certainly not legal. Written notice, either mailed or posted to your door, should be required. In Oregon, notice by e-mail is also allowed, but only with the tenant's express permission.
    A date of 10/15 also seems way too early, but this is where your local laws are most applicable. He may be perfectly within his rights to terminate a month-to-month tenancy at any time, or he might be required to give long term renters at least 60 days notice.

• Options
    According to http://www.ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/pdfs/publications/Tenant_Rights_2011.pdf:
    MONTH-TO-MONTH TENANTS

Tenants who do not have leases and pay rent on a monthly basis are called “month-to-month” tenants. In localities with- out rent regulation, tenants who stay past the end of a lease are treated as month-to-month tenants if the landlord accepts their rent. Real Property Law § 232-c.

A month-to-month tenancy outside New York City may be terminated by either party by giving at least one month’s no- tice before the expiration of the tenancy. For example, if the landlord wants the tenant to move out by November 1 and the rent is due on the first of each month, the landlord must give notice by September 30. In New York City, 30 days’ notice is required, rather than one month.

The termination notice need not specify why the landlord seeks possession of the apartment, only that the landlord elects to terminate the tenancy and that refusal to vacate will lead to eviction proceedings. Such notice does not automatically allow the landlord to evict the tenant. A landlord may raise the rent of a month-to-month tenant with the consent of the tenant. If the tenant does not consent, however, the land- lord can terminate the tenancy by giving appropriate notice. Real Property Law § 232-a and § 232-b.

I am in New York City (specifically one of its boroughs). Either way, according to the above, a 9/20 notice for 10/15 is not legally sufficient.

Also, I'm not sure a text message legally constitutes "written notice" - some websites suggest that it does not in some locales (such as D.C.).

The secondary problem I have is that I haven't lived anywhere else. I need a good reference for when I find my own place, especially since I have a semi-troubled credit history. I'm working on it, but I have a charge off in my past so I need to be cautious.

I don't want to create bad blood with my landlord in case I need a reference from him.

Not sure what to do. :(

• Options
    I think I'll look around at apartments this weekend and reply to him after I do some preliminary checking.

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    Although I think you're right (both on the 30 days as well as technically on what constitutes official written notice), if you really want to fight it in the best case he writes up a written notice tomorrow and you have until 10/21... he definitely has the legal right to terminate a month-to-month lease, so (as much as it sucks) I think regardless you probably need to be looking for a new place asap.

If you find a new place but can't get a move-in date until Oct 18th or something then it may be worth fighting over, but especially if you need a good reference it may not be worth it otherwise

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Yeah, I figured it would be 30 days required notice. At which point you need to look around, and figure out if the extra week or so is worth the potential bad reference. That'll depend entirely on what you find.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    most states (ex: new york) require 30 days notice; he's given you ~25 days. You're theoretically in the right, but whether it's worth it to fight over five days is up to you.

He may have told on the 15th on the basis of that being your next rental due date. Either way, the first step would be to tell him that you will need the full 30 day period (i.e., until 10/20.)

ed: as far as communication by text message, who cares? Just text him back and tell him you'll need the space until the 20th

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    most states (ex: new york) require 30 days notice; he's given you ~25 days. You're theoretically in the right, but whether it's worth it to fight over five days is up to you.

He may have told on the 15th on the basis of that being your next rental due date. Either way, the first step would be to tell him that you will need the full 30 day period (i.e., until 10/20.)

ed: as far as communication by text message, who cares? Just text him back and tell him you'll need the space until the 20th

You generally want to be able to keep track of all communications, in the case for some reason or another you guys end up in court. A text message is probably not the best thing to bring. Honestly, I would have him send you a notice. You don't have to be a hardass about it (though considering what you've told us, the dude isn't acting that cordial to you either), but something like "please send your request via email/certified mail/written copy as per our original lease/state laws".

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2014
    not worth fighting. next time sign a lease.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Also be sure they only get 25 days worth of rent tops.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    Well, according to what I've read today, he cannot legally evict me until 11/15. My pay date is on the 15th and as such he essentially had until 9/15 (or whatever 30 days prior to 10/15 actually is) to provide written notice of his expectation that I vacate. I'm not really fighting over 5 days, I would be fighting over a month. Unless I misunderstood what I read on the NY gov site, he can't even tell me today that I need to leave by 10/20 or 10/21. Even in a month-to-month situation, his only options are to evict by a payment date and, as such, he missed his opportunity to legally ask me to vacate by 10/15, meaning I am legally entitled to stay until 11/15 if it came down to it.

I've been here since 1993. I don't want any bad blood. I'm more pissed because I feel like he should have told me his thoughts last week instead of assuring me that there was no specific deadline. He even said two weeks ago "don't worry, who knows maybe the new owners may even want you as tenants and closings could take months." All of a sudden his story changes? And he doesn't even have the courtesy to call me? He just sends a text? Really?

While I don't want bad blood, this has already caused bad blood as far as I'm concerned. Though he doesn't especially need anything from me so I guess it doesn't matter to him what I think.

At the end of the day, I don't think I'll be in a position to move in 25 days. I'm looking around but it doesn't seem likely given everything that is going on. So I'm steeling myself for an argument in the near future. Oh well. Looks like the law is on my side, but it's unfortunate that it has come to this. Out of the blue, no less.

Drez on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited September 2014
    Assuming you're in the US check this:
    http://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/rental_assistance/tenantrights

also save any messages and document in the event you need to take legal action.

iRevert on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote: »
    Well, according to what I've read today, he cannot legally evict me until 11/15. My pay date is on the 15th and as such he essentially had until 9/15 (or whatever 30 days prior to 10/15 actually is) to provide written notice of his expectation that I vacate. I'm not really fighting over 5 days, I would be fighting over a month. Unless I misunderstood what I read on the NY gov site, he can't even tell me today that I need to leave by 10/20 or 10/21. Even in a month-to-month situation, his only options are to evict by a payment date and, as such, he missed his opportunity to legally ask me to vacate by 10/15, meaning I am legally entitled to stay until 11/15 if it came down to it.

I think you're right but I would certainly double-check. Call or e-mail someone who deals with this sort of thing to be sure.

• Options
    CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Call 311 I'm told they answer these questions. Also don't give your address, since they might notify your landlord if you do.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Anything with regard to rent and leases should be done via certified mail with a signature requirement.

• Options
    Thanks.

Anyone have any ideas of good sites for apartment listings? I just got the local paper and I see some promising options but I don't want to live in this city any more and if I get locked into a new lease to live here for like a year I may vomit.

I've never really done hardcore apartment shopping before so I'm not sure where to start. I found one option in the local paper that I'm going to call about. What do I ask/say?

• Options
    Hmm. I'm looking up something. I paid off a charged-off account. Should that still be showing up in my credit history?

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Craigslist is the absolute best at last minute rentals, but there is also a LOT of trash listings so it can take some digging to find the gold.
    Hmm. I'm looking up something. I paid off a charged-off account. Should that still be showing up in my credit history?

It should show that the debt was settled after the charge-off (is that same as default?). Everything reported is on there for 7 years unless the reporting company requests the info is removed, and even then the credit report companies may keep the info up anyway.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    If you can afford it, brokers can also be super helpful.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Craigslist is the absolute best at last minute rentals, but there is also a LOT of trash listings so it can take some digging to find the gold.

It should show that the debt was settled after the charge-off (is that same as default?). Everything reported is on there for 7 years unless the reporting company requests the info is removed, and even then the credit report companies may keep the info up anyway.
    Yeah, if you need to rent a place today or your homeless, craigslist can get you into a lease.

For finding a place I like hotpads.

Gives a list of places that is somewhat reasonably updated. They have a check availability thing, but it's easiest to just call honestly. There are of course some differences in what is available vs your needs because it just shows all the rentals, so timing can be an issue, but hotpads is still pretty good at looking up places.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    padmapper is my go to

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular

if you paid a settled amount, that will still show as a black mark on your credit. but it should not show it as "in collections" or whatever.

• Options
    JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Starting Defense Place at the tableRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

I can address both of these

there's a plug-in/extender for craigslist rentals called "padmapper" that is indispensable. It will whack the time you spend going over listings by probably a third, and pulls all the info from plain craigslist into a web interface that lets you use normal and customary search/fliter features like sort by price, sort by SqF, by bedrooms, by pets allowed, etc. Also gives you walk-ability, nearby services, etc

A paid charge off will still read as charged off, honestly there's almost no point in paying for them unless they're still being collected. Some places will even return funds paid for a small-medium charged off account, because if they've already taken a tax deduction for it, it can mess up their books - But IF you can prove payment, dispute it to the credit reporting agency (experian or transunion or whoever) - in fact, it's not at all ineffective to just dispute every listing on your credit, some percentage of them will not have substantiating documents and experian will resolve the dispute in your favor.

When you settle a debt or pay a chargeoff, always negotiate the status of credit reporting - if you don't mention it, they will but a "SIF" or "settled in full" code on something settled and that will hurt your credit more than a PIF (paid in full), although it's still better than an open, past due account by a factor of 20 or so.

• Options
    witch_iewitch_ie Registered User regular
    Just wanted to add that this is probably his first time managing property and he may not actually know the right way to interact with tenants or what he's legally allowed to do. Keeping that in mind, might help you be in a better place to negotiate with him. You can definitely request the written notice, but I think it's possible it will end up be a pro-rated situation. Also, since the reason he wants you to move out is so that he can start work on the place, maybe you can talk to him about a compromise while you find and move into a new place. Like say he wants to renovate the kitchen. You could agree to move your items out and allow his workers access.

Incidentally, we went through something somewhat similar recently, but our landlady notified us in writing and gave us 60 days (necessary by state law) to move. We found a new place within 1.5 weeks and moved within about a month of receiving the notice. We made looking for a new place something we did twice a day, checking Craigslist and immediately following up on leads. To quickly sort through ads and places:

1) Know what you must have (price/location/amenities) - for us, we needed a place that was low traffic so our cats could be outside relatively safely
    2) Know what you will not take - we were only looking for a house, no apartments, condos, etc.
    3) Know what you can be flexible with (location/price/amenities) - I ended up with a significantly longer commute, but I love where we live now