As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Ultimate Test of Gamerology

AbabyatemydingoAbabyatemydingo Registered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok,I have a problem and it is driving me slightly.....insane.

I played a demo for a game about a hundred years ago, and cannot remember the name of it. I do, however, know that it was on the same PC Gamer disc as either the Terra Nova or Deadlock demos. (Mind you this is 1995-1996) Does anyone know which games were on these discs? I know there are some people that collect demo discs and or are just fonts of gaming knowledge. A brief description of the game I'm looking for is below.

Genre: Puzzle Adventure (Along the lines of The Longest Journey)
Graphics: Kinda 2d-ish, circa 95-96
Story: Realy funkin wierd...multiple stories spanning different civilizations (or dimensions). I remember part of the demo having some neolithic type of people doing a wierd ceremony on a cliff or something.

I know it's a shot in the dark but....teh interweb has let me down thus far.

"The Way to see by Faith, is to shut the Eye of Reason"
~Benjamin Franklin
Ababyatemydingo on

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    No, it was on the same PC Gamer Demo disc as the first Deadlock.

Ababyatemydingo on
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Haha Time Commando was a classic game....but sadly no.

It was 2d-ish like Day of the Tentacle or Dragon's Lair, but it wasn't as cartoonish. (At least I think it was) I have been looking for this game for quite a while now. I just wish I could find a list of games that were on that particular PC Gamer Demo disc. I remember it as having a really wierd story, kinda like something that would be in Heavy Metal.

Ababyatemydingo on
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Hal-ay-lew-ja!!! Thanks god for the fine people here at PA Forums.....I owe you a beer.

Ababyatemydingo on
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay...I have no mouth, and I must scream....that game sounds fucking ridiculous.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    You may think so....until you understand the game/book

Ababyatemydingo on
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Okay...I have no mouth, and I must scream....that game sounds fucking ridiculous.

It was a good game based on a good story.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had that demo disk. It made me want to get the game. When I found it, I didn't have money. When I had money, I couldn't find it.

Don't cry for me, I'm already dead.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Not to worry, I'm sure it exists in torrent format somewhere in the ether.

Ababyatemydingo on
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    UltravisitorUltravisitor Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Wow...that sounds like an awesome story ;]. I'd like to try that game.

Ultravisitor on
    flcl1-1.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Not to worry, I'm sure it exists in torrent format somewhere in the ether.

I don't think old computer games are free to get. It's still held by some copyright laws, isn't it?
    It's on eBay, though.

Djiem on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Copyright lasts for 75-100 years(depending on when the copyright was taken. Recently it's 100, a few years ago or so it was 75), from time of death of holder. I'm fairly sure in the case of a company holding it, it's just 100 years. So wait another 80 years of so and you're golden!

Khavall on
  • Options
    HalgwetHalgwet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    If I recall correctly you can still buy the game from some company that sells a bunch of Harlan Ellison's works.

Halgwet on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I think that if the company that produced a game is reduced to no more than a faint memory, it should be free. Like GameTek and the most awesome game Humans (Later produced on the Atari Jaguar as Evolution Dino Dudes)...but then again, no one has ever really listened to my opinions. O_o

Ababyatemydingo on
    ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Halgwet wrote: »
    If I recall correctly you can still buy the game from some company that sells a bunch of Harlan Ellison's works.

There's a link on the wikipedia page, http://harlanellison.com/herc.htm#ihnm. $32. A better price than what it's going for on the Amazon Marketplace ($85?!)

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I think that if the company that produced a game is reduced to no more than a faint memory, it should be free. Like GameTek and the most awesome game Humans (Later produced on the Atari Jaguar as Evolution Dino Dudes)...but then again, no one has ever really listened to my opinions. O_o

And what happens if the company decides to have another go at it and finds someone is giving their IP away for free? :P

MKR on
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Unfortunately, Harlan Ellison is a vile, vile little man. :(

oh god i'm getting sued

syrion on
  • Options
    DudBoltDudBolt Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Something is confusing me, what about games like Dink Smallwood or Darksun. Aren't those games freeware/vaporware?

Edit - Those game were made like 20 years ago.

DudBolt on
    Gather the faithful and prepose a toast. To an epoch of indifference. - In Flames: Ordinary Story
    http://beta.humugus.com/index.php/auth/register/inv/1966
  • Options
    HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I don't know about Darksun, but I'm pretty sure Dink Smallwood was released as freeware by the people that made it. Which is where the difference comes in.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    So I just let Wikipedia spoil it all for me.

The short story and the game are all manners of fucked up. This would have scared the shit out of me had I played it.

It would scare the shit out of me now.

Lewisham on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Can I just say, that I love how you can come in to PA with the most obscure farking thing ever and it will be named by the fifth post :)

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Monaro wrote: »
    Can I just say, that I love how you can come in to PA with the most obscure farking thing ever and it will be named by the fifth post :)

PA is easily the most diverse message board I've been to.

MKR on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    MKR wrote: »
    And what happens if the company decides to have another go at it and finds someone is giving their IP away for free? :P
    He meant if the company goes bust, not if the company stops making games but still exists.

Glal on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Monaro wrote: »

Let's just hope Mordrack doesn't die because he ends up answering at least 80% of these "help me remember a game" questions himself.

Captain K on
  • Options
    YumcakeYumcake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I had read the short story(is it legal to distribute? because it was/is posted on the internet, but that doesn't mean it's ok to link) and played the game, both were good stuff.

It was a pretty good example of a good cross-medium production. It was a good short story, and changed drastically in order to make a game but managed to keep all the important themes necessary to hold to the same concept.

Yumcake on
    Cake is yum, is yum cake? I think, therefore I am. I am... Yumcake.

kelbear1.png
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, I wonder if I can use this thread to find out the name of a game. Game was for the NES and it was a puzzle adventure game kind of like Monkey Island, only not funny. But you'd select what you did from a little menu and you'd collect items or what not. You were trying to figure out a mystery of some pyramids or something. I've been through lists and lists of NES games and looked at screenshots but haven't been able to find it.

I think I saw it on Video and Arcade Top 10 once.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Glal wrote: »
    He meant if the company goes bust, not if the company stops making games but still exists.

IP doesn't just vanish. If the company tanks it goes to someone high up, or the company and its franchises are sold off.

MKR on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Glal wrote: »

IP doesn't just vanish. If the company tanks it goes to someone high up, or the company and its franchises are sold off.

In this case I think the rights went to the author Harlan Ellison, who still sells the game from his website for a whopping 32$.

This game is compatible with ScummVM now.

Also Harlan Ellison is a dick!

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Okay, I wonder if I can use this thread to find out the name of a game. Game was for the NES and it was a puzzle adventure game kind of like Monkey Island, only not funny. But you'd select what you did from a little menu and you'd collect items or what not. You were trying to figure out a mystery of some pyramids or something. I've been through lists and lists of NES games and looked at screenshots but haven't been able to find it.

Shadowgate or Uninvited? Uninvited was a horror game in a mansion, shadowgate I never played but was by the same company. Was the style like Deja Vu?

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I have seen an animated adaptation of this, and I cannot remember the name. Does anyone else have any idea what it was called? It was quite graphic, but I don't remember the style.

stigweard on
  • Options
    SpokesSpokes Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    This is one fucked up story.

Just sayin.

Spokes on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    Sharp10r wrote: »

Shadowgate or Uninvited? Uninvited was a horror game in a mansion, shadowgate I never played but was by the same company. Was the style like Deja Vu?
    No, it's neither of those. The style is more like Earthbound. The only two scenes I really remember from the game are one where you're on top of a pyramid, and one where you're walking along a hall that is lined with statues.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    ArcticMonkeyArcticMonkey Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

No, it's neither of those. The style is more like Earthbound. The only two scenes I really remember from the game are one where you're on top of a pyramid, and one where you're walking along a hall that is lined with statues.

Tombs & Treasure?

ArcticMonkey on
    "You read it! You can't unread it!"
    venstre.giflobotDanceMiddle.gifhoyre.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Tombs & Treasure?
    That is it! Wow. I am definitely impressed. :)

ScrabbleDude on