As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

So Enemy Territories: Quake Wars was just released

Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in Games and Technology
Have Halo 3 and (even Bioshock) just completely overshadowed this game? It seems to have decent reviews, but I guess with two monster FPS's released within a month of ET:QW, ET:QW isn't going to get much attention.

I have been anticipating the game since the day I saw it. I am/was considering buying it for the PS3.. but the total lack of talk even on Penny Arcade is kind of sad. Is it not that good of a game?

Does anyone have input?

Black Ice on

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Scratch that, I'll find the reviews with good ole google

EDIT: http://community.enemyterritory.com/index.php?q=node/150

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It's alright, but it doesn't feel like Quake anymore. It sort of feels like a bad BF2142.

stigweard on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I wouldn't expect it to be anything like Quake at all. These are the guys who made the first Enemy Territory, not Quake, so it's probably more like that. If it's just like the first one, only more futuristic I'd be very happy.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I was in the beta and the demo and could just not find any fun in it at all. It felt really restricted. You never got into any epic, large battles. You all had to go the same way, and you'd think that would solve the problem of a scattered army, but it was because the levels were so small and linear. Everyone was always in the same spot doing the same thing. That and I just didn't like the way the guns felt. They felt slow and sounded like BB guns.

Try the demo before you decide, because almost everyone I know who was excited for it found out they hate it after actually playing it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Yeah, this wasn't really my cup of tea either. I played the demo once or twice, and then went back to Team Fortress 2.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I thought this didn't ship until the 2nd? Regardless, I liked the demo, and will probably play this. I enjoy the style of play and I like the Quake Universe.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Behemoth wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect it to be anything like Quake at all. These are the guys who made the first Enemy Territory, not Quake, so it's probably more like that. If it's just like the first one, only more futuristic I'd be very happy.

it doesn't feel like ET though. the infantry combat feels as clunky and disjointed as a battlefield game.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really like it. I've already put 10+ hours into the demo, and look forward to more maps and stuff.

Definitely need to get some game on going up in here. I will be the best Medic.

Lemming on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I remember when this game was announced. It was to be the BF2142 killer that everyone was excited about. Now, its just meh. Its too bad really.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    TalousTalous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    It reminded me of Unreal 2004 mixed with Battlefield 1942.

Talous on
    Glampgrotz - Black Orc - Ulthuan TSM
    SS13 Rules Post
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Wren wrote: »
    Behemoth wrote: »

it doesn't feel like ET though. the infantry combat feels as clunky and disjointed as a battlefield game.

Man, I really disagree. I think it definitely feels a lot like the original ET. The different classes feel good and defined, and I really like how they spaced out the objectives so that there's some sense to having different classes, and the objectives system really helps out a bunch

Also I think they did a great job with the vehicles. Splattering the enemy with a Husky is so fulfilling.

Lemming on
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I preordered this from gamestop online thinking it was a no brainer. ET was fun. ET with a Quake 2 theme would be fun too. But after playing the crap out of TF2 lately and trying the Quake Wars demo I regret preordering it tbh. Its not a bad game but its just kind of meh. It doesn't have large battles and the pace just feels "off".

If they were not already shipping the copies out (or if I had got it locally) I'd would of probably canceled my preorder. :|

powersurge on
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Seems like TF2 is what's overshadowing Quake Wars, not Halo or Bioshock. I haven't played TF2 yet, but TF and Quake Wars are different enough to occupy different spaces in my gaming. Playing the Quake Wars demo, I found it a lot more interesting than BF2, mostly because the pace is better, but the classes and vehicles are nicely designed as well.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I really enjoyed the demo. Had a blast.

Then TF2 Beta started, and I haven't booted up ET:QW's demo since. Overshadowed is a bit of an understatement.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    powersurge wrote: »
    I preordered this from gamestop online thinking it was a no brainer. ET was fun. ET with a Quake 2 theme would be fun too. But after playing the crap out of TF2 lately and trying the Quake Wars demo I regret preordering it tbh. Its not a bad game but its just kind of meh. It doesn't have large battles and the pace just feels "off".

If they were not already shipping the copies out (or if I had got it locally) I'd would of probably canceled my preorder. :|

Buh? The next part of that sentence is a matter of preference, but I really dunno what you're talking about. 16 on 16 battles, especially when they're constantly focused on point of the map are pretty big and impressive.

Also, meh. TF2 is fun, but it's nothing ground-breaking. Neither is Quake Wars, really, but I think some people might be swayed by the art direction (which is much better in TF2, no argument here). Then again, maybe not, but Quake Wars is still pretty awesome.

Lemming on
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I played it a bit during both betas, but it didn't really click with me until the demo. I have played the demo a ton. The full version apparently has much better maps and I wouldn't be surprised about that, since Valley isn't that great. I find interesting how people complain it's too much like BF and then people complain it doesn't have large battles and is too linear? These types of complaints are pretty strange, especially it being linear? This is not some single player story game. This has objective->objective->objective gameplay, all different on each map with different tactics. The game has a surprising amount of depth, that I haven't even gotten too yet with many (40+) hours on the demo. Eagerly awaiting oct. 2nd.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Black IceBlack Ice Charlotte, NCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    My favorite FPS, in no order, are probably Rainbow Six Vegas, Delta Force Black Hawk Down, Joint Operations, and Battlefield 2. I liked the tactics of RB6 Vegas, the non-stop action of Black Hawk Down, and the huge squads and raids in Battlefield 2 and Joint Operations.

I've never played a Quake game, Wolfenstein, or Quake Wars. I guess I need to try the demo.. or are the games I just listed completely different than what this game is? It seems like it's a really team-driven game, and I love those.

Black Ice on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Black Ice wrote: »
    My favorite FPS, in no order, are probably Rainbow Six Vegas, Delta Force Black Hawk Down, Joint Operations, and Battlefield 2. I liked the tactics of RB6 Vegas, the non-stop action of Black Hawk Down, and the huge squads and raids in Battlefield 2 and Joint Operations.

I've never played a Quake game, Wolfenstein, or Quake Wars. I guess I need to try the demo.. or are the games I just listed completely different than what this game is? It seems like it's a really team-driven game, and I love those.

it is, in pubs it might be hard to see that some people just go off and do whatever the hell they want. But if you've got some people that know what they are doing, it is a blast. I also try and use the audio macros provided to try and point people to the current objective. I feel like it works.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Huh? This is shipping now? With Halo 3 and Team Fortress 2 just out?

Not the brightest of moves.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Huh? This is shipping now? With Halo 3 and Team Fortress 2 just out?

Not the brightest of moves.

maybe, the whole next 3 months are kinda like that. This game will probably have a much greater european presence then North America.

TelMarine on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I played the beta a ton and loved it. I'm kinda torn between this and TF2. The classes are really well balanced and the vehicles are hella fun, not to mention all the promotions and upgrades. I think it does a good job of balancing close-quarters fighting and large scale battles with the objectives.

The objectives do get old after a while, sadly. They always play out the exact same and you can't do them in any different order. Build the bridge, drive the truck, hack the generator, bomb the contaminator. Maybe it's less of a problem with a bigger map rotation but it got really old for me during the beta. Still when both teams know what they're doing there can be some epic battles. You really feel like you're accomplishing something besides capping a spawn or stealing a flag.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lemming wrote: »
    powersurge wrote: »

Buh? The next part of that sentence is a matter of preference, but I really dunno what you're talking about. 16 on 16 battles, especially when they're constantly focused on point of the map are pretty big and impressive.

Also, meh. TF2 is fun, but it's nothing ground-breaking. Neither is Quake Wars, really, but I think some people might be swayed by the art direction (which is much better in TF2, no argument here). Then again, maybe not, but Quake Wars is still pretty awesome.

Well not large in the Battlefield 64 player scale.

Wolf ET felt like a faster paced team based Call of Duty. Quake Wars on the flip side feels like a bit of Battlefield and a bit of Quake but it doesn't feel quite right for some reason.

Maybe I'll change my tune once I play the retail copy though. I'm not saying (well based on the demo) its a bad game. I'm just saying its not a AAA title where as on the flip side a lot of other titles (TF2 included) this fall are IMO.

powersurge on
  • Options
    MonaroMonaro Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Damn you people and your conflicting tastes. I'm going to have to play it for myself now :L

/pre-order arrived this morning

Monaro on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    The only feel of Quake in that game for me is the art direction and character models. The movement, weapons, and game mechanics feel distinctly un-Quake. That probably has a large part to do with why I didn't much like it. It isn't a bad game by any means, but it just isn't my style.

stigweard on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    Don't get this expecting it to play or feel like Quake, because it's not supposed to per se.

It's supposed to feel like Enemy Territory, which started out from Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    slash000 wrote: »
    Don't get this expecting it to play or feel like Quake, because it's not supposed to per se.

It's supposed to feel like Enemy Territory, which started out from Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

The "Enemy Territory" part of the title should give this away

Lemming on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2007

Well apparently a lot of people have no idea what the original Enemy Territory was. Maybe they think it's just your typical subtitle for a Quake game, and don't realize that it's an actual game that originated from RTCW.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited October 2007

Well apparently a lot of people have no idea what the original Enemy Territory was. Maybe they think it's just your typical subtitle for a Quake game, and don't realize that it's an actual game that originated from RTCW.

Well, those people are communists and we don't like them anyway.

>: (

Lemming on
  • Options
    edited October 2007
    I guess my gripe was that when I heard about this, I was hoping that it had the overarching game mechanics of ET with the individual player mechanics of from Quake. As it is now, every class I've tried feels you're like running through waist deep water, shooting pop guns.

stigweard on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    It's more the battlefield tards who keep flaming it, than the quake fans, which really gets on my nerves.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    stigweard wrote: »
    I guess my gripe was that when I heard about this, I was hoping that it had the overarching game mechanics of ET with the individual player mechanics of from Quake. As it is now, every class I've tried feels you're like running through waist deep water, shooting pop guns.

This.

Enemy Territory always felt much faster paced, especially in city maps like Oasis and Gold Rush where you were hemmed into the streets.

There were a few areas I thought were improved, covert ops being able to hack opposing towers and the like, but certain classes just didn`t feel as effective as they had used to be. Field Ops hadn't felt like it was changed around too much, but the larger scale maps makes rail gunning players on the opposite side of the level a breeze for CovOps, wheres in ET it was much harder to do and there was more focus on interactions with enemy objectives like the doors on the Beach and Fuel Dump.

Quake Wars just feels more like Battlefield with tacked on elements from the original, slower movement and the vast majority of weapons lack the punch of the rifles and grenades from ET.

Which isn't to say its a bad game, just that it doesn't have that infantry combat feel to it the ET:RTCW had.

Kelor on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I actually liked it a lot. Especially how for once, the two sides aren't mirror images of each other (Strogg ammo can be turned into health and vice versa, and Stroggs can make spawn points out of dead humans)

I'll probably play both this and TF2 depending on my mood, but when Savage2/UT3 is out, that's probably where I'll be.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide