As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Spoils: A new cardgame in open beta

TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
edited October 2006 in Critical Failures
Well it seems that there is a new cardgame on the horizen. It's called The Spoils, I got to play it at PAX, it was also at GenCon and other such conventions. You may have already heard about it but I'm hear (on my own behalf, I'm thinking about becoming a tournament director though) to spread interest in it.

It plays alot like magic, except every card is cleared for tournament play, since it is largly based around playing in tournaments.

You get on card called your faction, which determines your influance (lives) and how you draw cards and other special abilities. There will eventually be different faction cards but right now in open beta they just have the one Tournament Faction to keep everything even.

Also like Magic you get different resource cards that set your deck asaide as colors do in magic, for example there are Warlords who use the resource Rage and Bankers who use Greed (I play these two together). All cards cost resources to play, ecept for resource cards.

There are also tactic, gear, and character cards. Characters are your primary source of damaging your enemy's influance. Gear equips to characters to make them stronger. Tactics have many different effects.

Characters have three important stats for combat Strength (how much damage they do) Life(how much damage they can take in each round) and Speed (determines who's attack get's through first, so if you're get's through first and can kill the other character, it simply dies before it can attack your character)

TL;DR

That is just some of the basics, it doesn't really explain how it plays but the rules are avalailable for free from their website along with some printable demo cards

http://www.thespoils.com/

You can also sign up for their comunity and they will send you a free open beta booster, which is pretty neat.

If you are interested spread the word to your local game retailers and they can get information from the website there too. But this thread is just to spread the word and get people talking about it.

If you have any questions ask me, I'll answer what I can.

Tallahasseeriel on

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2006
    Color me interested. I'm pretty interested in Magic, but the whole "No, you can't use those cards in tournaments after a year" turned me off it.

Echo on
  • Options
    LightReaperLightReaper Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Open beta made me think this was online, in which case i'd be interested.

I am sorely disappointed :cry: .

LightReaper on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Echo wrote:
    Color me interested. I'm pretty interested in Magic, but the whole "No, you can't use those cards in tournaments after a year" turned me off it.
    Ahem. The average cycle for a Magic card through "Standard" tournaments is two years. Tournaments for other formats which do use most of or all of the older cards do exist and attract considerable cash prizes. And, of course, there are all tose casual players who don't give a damn about prize money and play with any and all cards they can get a hold of...

For reference the Beta cardpool of this game is ~240(?) cards judging from the text spoiler, the Standard cardpool for Magic as of Oct. 20th is ~1550.
    I fully expect these numbers to go up in the near future, but given that The Spoild lasts the next decade, I highly doubt it will be using the same cardpool as today and unless they only release 240 cards a year they will almost inevitablty run ito the same challenges Wizards face in balancing a pool of thousands of cards.
    Not to mention the fact that you simply can't get many of the older cards, or they fetch ridiculous prices; I know a guy who paid ~$200 for an Alpha Black Lotus, encased in lexan...

NB I have nothing against The Spoils, indeed looking at the cards and rulebook, I think the approach is a refreshing change. However, I can't let such an egregious miconception stand.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Echo wrote:

This was why I liked the Star Wars CCG so much - if a card or style became too powerful, they just balanced it out in the next set.

This game sounds pretty cool, but I won't have the money to get into it until a few months from now.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I saw the big huge tournament areas at GenCon, and I was interested, but I never actually saw anywhere to check the stuff out. >>

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    They have tournament locators and such on their website so you can find somewhere to check it out near you, if not can always print out the demo cards and play some matches with friends. Maybe show it to your local gaming store owner, get hem interested and they can get more information on holding tournaments and getting actual cards from the website too.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I don't think tournaments are a sustainable business model for most independent stores, but these guys look like the might have something that could help.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Echo wrote:

This was why I liked the Star Wars CCG so much - if a card or style became too powerful, they just balanced it out in the next set.

This game sounds pretty cool, but I won't have the money to get into it until a few months from now.
    With a CCG as old as Magic...you HAVE to do this. It turns a lot of people off when they need to buy decade-old cards no longer in print to compete.

It also makes things so damn complication. Good for casual, but horrible for organized play.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Did I mention the design on the back of the cards is awesome?

Also some of the cards can be pretty funny, suce as the various cards that include leetspeak, or the card "hidden sandwhich" (showing a man brandishing a sammich) or "defenstrate" (you know, "to throw something out a window")

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Uriel wrote:
    Did I mention the design on the back of the cards is awesome?

Also some of the cards can be pretty funny, suce as the various cards that include leetspeak, or the card "hidden sandwhich" (showing a man brandishing a sammich) or "defenstrate" (you know, "to throw something out a window")

250px-The_Spoils_back.jpg?

Oh man, two of these Beta Tournaments in Brooklyn.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Options
    EffStarStarStarEffStarStarStar Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Mr_Rose wrote:
    I know a guy who paid ~$200 for an Alpha Black Lotus

The more important question is, do you know the guy who sold an alpha Black Lotus for $200, and does he have any more cards for sale? Because that is about a fourth or fifth of what most people expect pay for that card.

EffStarStarStar on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Exactly what I thought. I wish I could get a 200 dollar Lotus. In a hearbeat...

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218