As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for new Computer Mouse

KamiroKamiro Registered User regular
I'm in the market for a new computer mouse. I currently have a Razer Deathadder. On my 2nd one actually. But after this one has come down with the same problem that the last one had (left click double clicks more than half the time) and after googling that problem and seeing that it is very common, I have decided to not go back to Razer mice.

However, I really like the feel of the Razer Deathadder. It fits my hand really well, and I really like the two side buttons. I'm looking for a similar style of mouse but I have no clue what else is out there and how reliable they are.

Any idea of where to start my search? Recommendations?

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    unfortunately it's hard to shop for a mouse that feels right, without actually being able to go out and handle them personally. The first thing is to figure out what kind of grip you use ('claw' and 'palm' grips are the two popular terms of art) and look around for mice like that.

I've never used a deathadder but it looks like a claw/fingertip type of mouse

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    I'm personally a fan of Logitech mice. I have 2 G700 mice and they work like champions. The week I got my first G700 I spilled beer on it (the whole glass, to be precise) and it still works to this day 3 years later. A couple of the buttons being sticky for a year or so was maybe the worst that happened to it.
    unfortunately it's hard to shop for a mouse that feels right, without actually being able to go out and handle them personally. The first thing is to figure out what kind of grip you use ('claw' and 'palm' grips are the two popular terms of art) and look around for mice like that.

I've never used a deathadder but it looks like a claw/fingertip type of mouse

Also this. Go to a best buy or similar so you can play around with a few mice.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    I'm in the market for a new computer mouse. I currently have a Razer Deathadder. On my 2nd one actually. But after this one has come down with the same problem that the last one had (left click double clicks more than half the time) and after googling that problem and seeing that it is very common, I have decided to not go back to Razer mice.

However, I really like the feel of the Razer Deathadder. It fits my hand really well, and I really like the two side buttons. I'm looking for a similar style of mouse but I have no clue what else is out there and how reliable they are.

Any idea of where to start my search? Recommendations?

I'd try cleaning the contact in your mouse before you replace it... I've had that happen with lots of mice, and the solution is normally some rubbing alcohol a couple of cotton swabs and a screwdriver.

• Options
    PacificstarPacificstar Registered User regular
    I bought this thing, it looks ridiculous but it's seriously the best mouse I've ever had.

http://www.sentey.com/en/revolution-pro-gs-3910

You can turn off all the lights and stuff so it's pretty low key. But seriously, after a lot of shopping and reading a ton of reviews I got this thing and I love it so far.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Steelseries Sensei has a similar shape to the Deathadder and is probably better built than anything that Razer makes.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2014
    Gaslight wrote: »
    Steelseries Sensei has a similar shape to the Deathadder and is probably better built than anything that Razer makes.

I swapped to a sensei about 2 years ago when my second deathadder got that exact same double left click problem again. Cleaning doesn't fix it, they just all seem to do it eventually. I'd guess razor went real cheap on the buttons.

It's a way better built mouse.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    I use a Logitech G500. Side buttons are nice, I like the ability to lock and unlock the scroll wheel, and it's got a little removable cartridge that you can use to adjust the weight. I've never had any problems with double clicking.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Ana Ng wrote: »
    I use a Logitech G500. Side buttons are nice, I like the ability to lock and unlock the scroll wheel, and it's got a little removable cartridge that you can use to adjust the weight. I've never had any problems with double clicking.

I also have this one and really like it. Very comfortable, weighty, and smooth. There are three side buttons that sit under my thumb and the middle one doubles as a middle mouse click, which works extremely well. I've found with other mice I will try to middle click and end up scrolling, which in certain games causes me to switch weapons before zooming in, like I wanted.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Yeah I've used logitech for the past 25ish years.

As far as input devices for your PC are concerned, you really can't do much better than them.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Now, the general consensus around the internet is that my mouse is a worthless piece of shit that self-destructs if you so much as look at it funny.

But, I love my R.A.T. 7. It is fucking fantastic. It's going on 3 years of perfect service, it is by far the most comfortable mouse I have ever held, it is built like a brick shithouse, and thanks to the weight customisation it is nice and weighty in my oversize mitts.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i currently run the Logitech G602 and i liked it so much I bought another one for work

Very good ergonomics for gaming, a solid scroll wheel, and easy-to-press side buttons that I actually use

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Now, the general consensus around the internet is that my mouse is a worthless piece of shit that self-destructs if you so much as look at it funny.

But, I love my R.A.T. 7. It is fucking fantastic. It's going on 3 years of perfect service, it is by far the most comfortable mouse I have ever held, it is built like a brick shithouse, and thanks to the weight customisation it is nice and weighty in my oversize mitts.

I'm very much in this camp, I've been very happy with my R.A.T. 7 as well. There MIGHT be a small tracking issue developing however, but I won't chalk that up to the mouse until I've thoroughly cleaned my mouse pad. Will update this weekend.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Kamiro wrote: »
    So, cleaning the mouse fixed my issue. I guess the Deathadder is designed in a way that makes it really easy for gunk to get under the clicky part? Is this an issue with other mice as well?

I will keep some of these suggestions in mind if this mouse craps out in the near future. Thanks!

Yeah most mice.

Especially if you have a habit of eating oily things like chips around it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    BouwsT wrote: »

I'm very much in this camp, I've been very happy with my R.A.T. 7 as well. There MIGHT be a small tracking issue developing however, but I won't chalk that up to the mouse until I've thoroughly cleaned my mouse pad. Will update this weekend.

Occasionally mine gets a little bit of dreck in the sensor and stops tracking either horizontally or vertically, but when that happens I just give it the ol' Nintendo blow, and it's good as new again.