Options

Halp me [Icelandic Subtitles]?

ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster ApocalypseThe Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
I know this one's a shot in the dark. The Lady is wanting to learn Icelandic and is looking for English-language programming or movies or whatever that would have Icelandic subtitles she could use as a learning tool?

Other than trying to go out and buy a bunch of different shows or whatever, are there maybe like Icelandic tv stations that would broadcast something like this and also be available to view in the US?

Allegedly a voice of reason.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    http://www.ruv.is/ruv

Ríkisútvarpið, RÚV is "their BBC", and seems to run their net based service the same our norwegian equivalent does - meaning that it is available around the world (Probably - only based on the fact that I can access it here in Norway)

But, when it comes to english-language programming, they probably wouldn't have the license to stream it abroad.

Using a VPN - if it's not illegal where you are, which is unlikely - seems to be your best bet. @Syndalis does that to do much the same thing with NRK, the norwegian "BBC", he probably knows how to

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    My service, Unlocator, does not do Iceland's programming.

but a quick check on the google machine shows me that there are lots of low cost VPNs in Iceland you can use to get access to the content.

Worth a shot.

It has been magnificent for me learning norsk to be able to watch TV shows.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, she looked into ruv.is but I guess we can't actually watch it here.

She did find Season 1 of Castle with an Icelandic dub for like $5 on Amazon, so that's something.

Allegedly a voice of reason.