As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DnD at Pax Prime

TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
I do a bit of Adventures League at my FLGS, looking at the new season just released, it ends in Aug 2015, So either we will be the tail end of this season, or premiering the next one. I hope it is premier of the next one and WOTC has the cash for a bigger and better DnD experience for 2015. Discuss!

• Options
    adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    Timoon wrote: »
    I do a bit of Adventures League at my FLGS, looking at the new season just released, it ends in Aug 2015, So either we will be the tail end of this season, or premiering the next one. I hope it is premier of the next one and WOTC has the cash for a bigger and better DnD experience for 2015. Discuss!

A bigger and better DnD experience is going to depend on space. If you have ever been to something like GenCon, WOTC has a HUGE space and tons of games running constantly and they are easy to find because it's all in one place. At PAX in the past they had the games at the bottom of the annex (is that the correct name?). Last year though they were buried in side rooms at the Red Lion. We didn't even see them until almost the last day.

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • Options
    TashannocTashannoc Registered User regular
    The reason D&D had a small space and limited resources last year at Prime was because Wizards spend a LOT of money at GenCon for the launch of 5E. There wasn't enough money left in the D&D budget to get the space at Prime that they had in previous years.

We probably won't ever get the Dungeon (annex basement) back. Magic expanded into that space last year and easily filled it, even though it was twice what they normally have. Let's be honest, Magic is Wizard's money maker, and thank goodness they have some awesome, dedicated people putting out such a great product for D&D.

That said, I think that the hope is that we'd have the entire floor we were on last year, which would include the big open space with lots of tables that was located behind the D&D area. Regardless of where it is, the budget this year should be in line with previous years. With any luck, they'll craft custom dice again this year, because who doesn't like getting more dice.

I actually liked that space better because I could get cell reception, which is really spotty in the Dungeon. Since I live in Seattle, my spouse gets a little testy when I am unresponsive to text messages. :)

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    So how do these events usually work, as far as character transferability? My character from last PAX Prime, who I filled out all the registration stuff for, is still good to bring back this year and keep playing with his accumulated level, right?

I might reroll anyway, because he's currently a Barbarian 1/Monk 1, and that doesn't seem like the novelty will outlast low levels. But I might not, because I doubt I'll ever play enough official D&D to get past those levels.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    TimoonTimoon Occupied Canada Registered User regular
    So how do these events usually work, as far as character transferability? My character from last PAX Prime, who I filled out all the registration stuff for, is still good to bring back this year and keep playing with his accumulated level, right?

I might reroll anyway, because he's currently a Barbarian 1/Monk 1, and that doesn't seem like the novelty will outlast low levels. But I might not, because I doubt I'll ever play enough official D&D to get past those levels.

PAX is playing by adventures league rules (in my local game we had a pax premade who joined up for further adventures!) Here are the rules, so yes, you could play in a 1st to 4th level event with your "2nd Level" character. For more information go here http://dnd.wizards.com/playevents/organized-play and look at the players guide here http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/events/adventurers-league-resources. You can reroll up to fourth level