As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I think my neighbor may have stolen my license plate.

JonAnonJonAnon Registered User new member
Hi all. First time posting to H&A :D

Last Friday evening, I noticed my motorcycle's license plate was missing. At first I had assumed it might have fallen off on its own somewhere on the road, but found out about the likelihood of it being stolen when speaking to the DMV about it. I've already reported the license plate lost/stolen with the DMV and have been issued a new one (now safely guarded by an anti-theft device). I'm now interested in hearing some opinions on how I should handle the possibility of this being an actual theft.

I live in a condo community where we each have our own reserved parking spot. My downstairs neighbor's spot is directly to the right of mine, and they are one of maybe three people in my building (including myself) who own a motorcycle. They've lived downstairs from me for about 8 months or so, and while I haven't had any direct problems with this tenant, the community itself has had a few; usually involving cleanliness of their front door/porch area and noise levels (music, domestic disputes, etc.)

The neighbor, along with their vehicles (car and motorcycle), were completely gone from the neighborhood from the day my plate went missing until earlier today. Normally they keep their bike covered, so I don't remember if they were lacking a plate before mine went missing. However, I passed by them earlier today (when I first noticed they were back) and they were in the middle of covering their bike. They had a new, temporary tag from the DMV, good until 4/15; exactly a month from the first day they could have gone to the DMV after my plate went missing.

Like I said; while suspicious, nothing exactly concrete. :) That being said, does this sound like a scenario that law enforcement would be interested in looking into at least?

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    could they have had theirs stolen too?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Uh, yeah. I don't see how this works out at all.

Did they just not have a plate before hand and somehow needed a plate for a couple hours before they went and got a new one or something? That seems like a pretty low percentage kind of thing there. Much more likely Xaquin in on the money that somebody stole their plate as well.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Yeah this doesn't make sense. I know plenty of people who steal license plates. Either as clients or as friends of friends mostly. The reason is to either sell it, or use it as your own since cops don't routinely run random plates (though they will on occasion). You use them when you can't afford insurance, or are incapable of registering your car for whatever reasons. There doesn't seem to be a single reason to really suspect your neighbor has done anything illegal. I would put money on someone else grabbing them to sell to the desperate or dumb with your neighbors being victims as well.

• Options
    BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Also, with the plate reported lost/stolen, they would have a real tough time using it. Had my plate stolen off a car that was parked, the guy used it to park all over my city to avoid parking fines. Got a boat-load in the mail about 4 weeks later, which is what tipped me off to it being stolen in the first place.

I would seriously doubt that a next door neighbor would be stupid enough to steal your bike plate, and then put it on his bike weeks later.

Let us know if we're wrong though, because that would be hilarious.

Between you and me, Peggy, I smoked this Juul and it did UNTHINKABLE things to my mind and body...
  • Options
    JonAnonJonAnon Registered User new member
    This makes a lot of sense. Thanks everyone! At least I've reduced the chances of it happening again.

And yeah, I'll be sure to post a follow-up should it actually have been the neighbor :D

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »
    Yeah this doesn't make sense. I know plenty of people who steal license plates. Either as clients or as friends of friends mostly. The reason is to either sell it, or use it as your own since cops don't routinely run random plates (though they will on occasion). You use them when you can't afford insurance, or are incapable of registering your car for whatever reasons. There doesn't seem to be a single reason to really suspect your neighbor has done anything illegal. I would put money on someone else grabbing them to sell to the desperate or dumb with your neighbors being victims as well.

Police vehicles in many areas have license plate readers now, and some of them will automatically flag vehicles that are suspicious.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter