As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skeletoids! (now with magical normal mapping!)

McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
edited December 2014 in Artist's Corner
Hi everyone, it's been a long time, my ancient homeland!
I spent the last four years making this dumb thing: But now it's pretty much done and just waiting on PS4 certification junk! Now we're starting up the next project, and I'm suddenly realizing that I've been drawing nothing but naked Greek dudes and repeating swirly patterns for almost half a decade. My art and brain have really atrophied and more importantly, as I work from home I don't really have any artist peers to bounce new ideas off of. And as this new game isn't just ripped off of 2500 year old pottery, I need to actually generate some new ideas.

As we're jumping right into prototyping, and getting people to playtest as soon as right now, I'll also just start dumping the very first preliminary concepts I've had. They're terrible and generic, but that's why you guys are going to help me out here. Spice up my idea-hole with some fresh new thought-farts.

First up, a basic skeleton of what the (currently unnamed) game is:
-2D action shooter set in (probably) space, where the player is space-pirate in a weaponized mech-suit fighting in zeroG.
-Goal of the player/pirate is to attack and board spaceships guarded by robots, disable them (by blowing up a computer core or something), and then make a profit by hocking the spoils.
-Buy shiny new bling with the profit to attack bigger and badder ships.
-Die, and you lose your bling investment and the (randomly generated) ship gets away.
At this point, the themes, aesthetics, and setting are pretty much entirely non-existent, so just figuring out that basic stuff is my primary goal right now. Anything that you guys think would be cool to explore, please shout it out and let me hear some ideas!

Here's the results of a week or so of ambulatory doodling while watching Wilfred and Battlestar. My mind feels like unthawed molasses.
medusa-sketches01.jpg
Whew, I probably should've broken that up, but whatever. Mostly robot drone sort of things, and some weird deep-sea diving type suits. I played around with a sort of sea-horse shaped... mount/hoverbike...thing. I liked the animal-like head, as I thought it would make for a good focal point on the player's character. Then I just stuck the animal-head on the deep-sea suit and liked that better.
There's some tribal type facepaint in there. Maybe the player is a techo-tribal, and they are literally 'hunting' the spaceships like giant beasts?

medusa-doodles01.jpg
Some digi-doodles just to explore some shapes for the player-suit. I think I like the little stubby limbs and sort of derpy floating-pose for some reason.

medusa-photosuits01.jpg
And finally, some more exploration of the animal-head concept with quick photo paintovers of diving hardsuits. I'm liking this design because I think it would provide good readability of the player's character at a small scale and fast action. Big head with an angry face that shoots bullets and lasers. Again with some tribalesque markings.

That's all I've got for now, but I'll hopefully be cranking out new stuff pretty quick. Maybe some more alien designs for the player (big space-ork pirate?). Some ideas for ship environments, drones, iunno. Stay tuned.
And again, please please PLEASE shout out any ideas that you think I could explore, no matter how crazy. I need some serious jump-starting here.

website_header.jpg
McGibs on

• Options
    OllieOllie Registered User regular
    Duuuude I was just wondering about you! I remember a comic you ran, with people with strangely shaped eyes. And lots of cool military/mecha stuff. Good timing on your return! That Greek game looks really cool, too bad I don't have a PS4 to play it on.

I notice some very Native Northwest Coast art influence in your sketches here. What's that from?

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Its all just as good as I remember.

I actually really enjoy the sea horse robot. You can do a lot with different animal-ish mounts, rather than just variations on a main character. I like the painted faces, I would dig deeper and find different places/cultures to draw from to see what patterning comes out. It strikes me as Mayan or Kwakiutl right now, You can probably push those ideas and mix in other designs.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    The issue I think I'm having with the mounted stuff is that it gets really difficult to read the silhouette at a small scale (on screen, the character will be like half an inch big), and the way the player moves in 2D space makes horizontally long things awkward (as I've learned from previous games). So that really cuts out things like bikes or horses or dragons or whatever traditionally mountable things. It sort of needs to be vertically oriented, like a sea-horse. I like the seahorse itself, but the little guy riding on back just ends up cluttering the shape too much.

I'll definitely play around with more paintjobs. They'll really help bring some colour and charcter to the suits. I bought a big book of 'Primative Art' that has a lot of excellent references in it. The faces up there are vaguely pacific-northewest, which I really like the look of.

As for the theme, the more I think about it, the more that cut and dry "SPACE PIRATE" is grabbing me. It's easily communicated to the player what the game is about, and playing some sort of 'bad guy' is always something I like to see more of in games. Like playing a star-wars bounty hunter. Maybe I'm thinking to hard about finding a unique and new theme, like techno-tribals or whatever. People know what space-pirates are, should I just run with that?

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'm curious if you're thinking about this game as a side scroller, a top down view like Gauntlet, maybe a metroidvania style game or something else entirely? Or is that decision best left until later? I don't know, never done any kind of game development.

From your description, it sounds almost like a sci-fi Binding of Isaac (with less religious imagery and assorted other depressing stuff), though I'm sure there's been other games that have used similar mechanics though, but the subject "conceive a baby game"... Well, BoI's what came to mind. And honestly, a sci-fi BoI like game sounds fun, just preferably one not about a neglected infant dying in a filthy space-basement.

Or maybe it's just the second to last image making me draw that comparison, where you've got stubby little limbs and big heads on the suits.

• Options
    I was picturing something sort of Splunky like, myself.

I can visualize what you are saying with the mounts, the limitations of it make sense. Its too bad because the range of shapes would be fun

I think you can make being space pirates into something interesting. Playing the theif isnt crazy uncommon but it can be fun. I feel like getting a unique angle on it would be good, though.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    Definitely will be a sidescroller like our previous games, but with 360degree movement (so no platforming). Stuff is a lot more interesting to look at from the side instead of the top, and I feel like 2d isometric games are very very hard to do in any kind of high-def (which is why things like binding of issac or nuclear throne are very simple on a technical level)
    The whole randomly generated 'dungeon' and roguelike death elements definitely draw some inspirations from those games.

The idea I had today was trying out Skeleton-Cyborgs, for the enemies and ships. Basically, a bunch of heavily augmented beings (humans) died off, but their cybernetics are still active and puppeting their bones around. I really love undead skeletons as a classic fantasy enemy type, and also 'cyber-horror', like Doom or Quake style gribblies.
    A fleet of ghost-ships, with their occupants long dead, but still haunted by masterless AI and robots.
    One step farther, what if the player is of an alien race, encountering these tomb-ships for the first time. A tomb-raider, paid by scientists to recover artefacts and resources. And these skeletons are ancient human colony ships that never found a home.
    Like the space jockey from alien, but reversed.

skeletoids01.jpg
    I like the blue guy.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    its really great to see you posting again, ive been checking your blog for like 2 years waiting for something.

im really liking that cyber horror idea, maybe zombies in space? maybe maybe

• Options
    Arden CaneloArden Canelo Registered User regular
    Hey McGibs! I've always liked your work and I'm super impressed by the Apotheon stuff. I'm starting to make a hand drawn game myself inspired by film noir and fantasy/occult stuff. It's called Dragonoir.

I really like the concept of machines being tribal with face paint like that. Like, would they have primitive AI to the point of being a hunter gatherer society, but still be robots? I hope you post more now that you're back here. Your stuff inspires me.

• Options
    Heh, like I said, I sort of stopped drawing during the course of apotheon, and moreso I've become bit of an internet hermit.
    Anyways, here's some new stuff.

medusa-sketches02.jpg
    Some more suit/robot sketches, and some alien/monstous style skeletoids which I'm pretty happy with.

skeletoids-gribblies.jpg
    And some sketchy level assets to get the ball rolling for ingame stuff.
    Next up, some level walls and floor tiles!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I like the skeletal direction, creepy without being overly gruesome. Has a giger feel to it, I liked the bright colors from the the original batch though.

• Options
    For characters/enemies and interactable elements, I'll be using some more vibrant colours to make them pop out from the static level bits.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Some more random machinery bits, this time to use for walls and stuff in the level.
    skeletoids-wallparts.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    I enjoy the repetition of the vertebrae like parts. If its an a bunch of AIs going haywire, you can possibly also play with it trying to rebuild parts and get strange machine-skele chimeras.

• Options
    KoregKoreg Registered User regular
    It looks like McGibs has been staring at his 40k models with a magnifying glass.

Why don't you go and work for them and make me a floating skeleton suit with guns model? Or go buy yourself a decent 3D printer and make them!

If, if Reagan played disco He'd shoot it to shit You can't disco in Jackboots
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    My business partner just showed me this, and I got a giant art boner.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy3FvPg01w0#t=35
    http://www.snakehillgames.com/spritelamp/

I've always struggled with painterly game-art and lighting in a game setting where objects need to be rotated/flipped in ways that make the lighting inconsistent. But jesus christ this thing looks amazing for dynamic lighting. We'll get a copy and I'll do some experimenting with it.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Man, thanks for linking that thing, gibs. I may have to give that a shot myself.

• Options
    edited December 2014
    I played around a bit with spritelamp and it's pretty sweet! Basically, you paint 4 or 5 different lighting angles (front, bottom, left, right, and front) and then it generates a normal map that blends them together based on where the dynamic light is. Here's my first test, which is still pretty rough around the edges but you can see where it's headed. A whole level lit like this, shadows changing as the player flies by, will look pretty awesome!
    brush02_Preview2.GIF

It's using a cel-shader so its all pixely. It helps hide some of the plastic-ness inherent in normal mapping, and I quite like it, at least until we can experiment with some other shaders.

Also, here's some prototype enemies developed from some sketches. Soon to be animated by my lovely lady partner using Spine (a skeletal sprite animation system)
    enemy-gundog.png
    enemy-jackal.png

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    awesome stuff looks retro yet so fresh

• Options
    edited April 2015
    Updating after 4 month hiatus! Been busy as hell, and just havnt stopped to post some of this stuff. Lots of level art was done, and pretty much everything is normal mapped and is looking pretty crazy. Still a lot to do to figure out how we're doing lighting colours and shaders, but thats another battle.

Here's some gifs showing off some of the normal mapping, and animations done by our new animator!
    gunhead_Preview.GIF
    The player-character
    juggernaut_Preview.GIF
    Juggernaut big baddy
    core_Preview.gif
    And the central cortex, the thing that you have to destroy in every mission. (this one's got some artifacting around the edges I'll have to take care of)

We also went to GDC to show off the game a bit, and did this interview with GameSpot, so you can get some idea of the actual gameplay right now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNRucnTJI4U

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Looks sick. The shaders really are a nice touch, makes the whole thing seem way more dynamic. I'm interested to see how the whole thing develops, especially in terms of colors, but the sprites are just super cool.

The animation is good, works well in game, I like the complex ones with the little arms moving in the video.

• Options
    BennFriedBennFried Registered User regular
    Wow, apparently I need to look into spritelamp!
    Loving the work, has a great style to it.

ZARP
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    SICK!

• Options
    MabelmaMabelma Registered User regular
    Those animations are freaking awesome!!

Have some time, check out my blog