Options

Introducing cats to each other

ReznikReznik Registered User regular
So my brother has a cat (well, kitten) around 8 or 9 months old, who is currently the only kitten in the apartment. She's spayed and has all her shots and is healthy and also a hyper bitey little jerk.

Next week, I will be getting a kitten around the same age. He's fixed, has all his shots, is healthy and apparently super chill and relaxed. He will be traveling a long way to get here though, and I imagine he will be pretty stressed out.

What would be the best way to go about introducing them to each other? Should I get the new cat settled in his own room first before attempting to do anything with the other cat? Should I keep them separate or just let em run around together and sort things out? I do have a separate litter box and food/water dish for the new cat.

I have this cat pheromone spray stuff that's supposed to help calm cats down, so I'm gonna spray that around the place and hopefully that will help too.

But any advice as to how this can be as smooth a transition as possible will be most helpful.

Also pictures will come soon, I don't have any on this computer right now.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
Forget it...

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Yeah, your cat absolutely needs a safe space for himself first. Give him some time to acclimate, maybe a couple of weeks. When you set up a meeting, do it with a closed door between the two of them and let them do any sniffing, hissing and swiping under the door. You want to introduce them to each other gradually-- put them together right out the gate and you will probably end up with a fight on your hands.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Be prepared to accept that they might not ever get along.

Some cats just don't like each other.

kyrcl.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    how old is your cat? if your cat is younger it will be much easier.

here is what I would do:

The first day or so keep them separate so he can relax. then gather the following supplies:
    water bottles, blankets, toys.

then open his door and just let them go thunderdome style.
    his cat is only 8 months old. we used to have play dates for our one cat when he was young since he loved other cats.
    just keep an eye on them and make sure things stay civil. a little swatting and hissing is ok. if they start going at it to an extreme. water bottle blankets and separate them for a slower introduction

unless you have a crotchety old cat who is used to being by themselves i would bet they will avoid each other for a day or two and then accept each other and then be buds.

i have done this countless times when we used to foster cats.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Definitely have them cut off for the first day or so until new cat is comfortable in their own room. My wife and I took turns sleeping in the guest room with our newer cat until she was willing to come out from under the bed.

If you have a blanket or something your current cat likes to sleep on let new cat sniff it and vice versa if possible. We also closed older cat in our bedroom while we let newer cat explore the apartment.

After that I'd let them see each other with the door cracked and figure it out from there. Ours hissed at each other the first couple of times but after three or four days were fine with each other.

Since then I wouldn't say they like each other but seem to always want to be around one another.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    at 8 or 9 months old they should be fine eventually

generally only older cats refuse to get along with newcomers

you want to put the one in the new location on his own for a while (usually a bathroom)

then opinions differ but I did this a year or two ago and I just released the new cat into the house and there was a lot of hissing and growling but no fighting and now they are best friends

Jasconius on
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    You could also work on acclimating them to each other's scents before they do meet. Like, have one cat sit on a pillow, and then leave that pillow in the other cat's territory so the cat can smell it.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    an ideal setup would be to ease the transition from separate rooms with something like a baby gate in the doorway; that way they can see each other and get used to the presence of another cat without immediately having the opportunity to fight.

Also, if there's any tension between them hold off on feeding them together until they settle down a bit; they're at their most territorial/defensive around food.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    an ideal setup would be to ease the transition from separate rooms with something like a baby gate in the doorway; that way they can see each other and get used to the presence of another cat without immediately having the opportunity to fight.

Also, if there's any tension between them hold off on feeding them together until they settle down a bit; they're at their most territorial/defensive around food.

This would explain why one of the two cats we have, without fail every morning, will bat her sister upside the head if she wanders near while my mom is preparing their breakfast.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    In addition to his own litter box you prob want a third to avoid territorial issues, even with both of them being fixed.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Aren't there supposed to be pics posted in such threads?

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    So, this (one weird trick!) worked wonders when we introduced rats to each other, and I hear similar success with cats.

When you're ready to introduce them to each other in person, rub a bit of vanilla extract on your hands, then give them both a good solid scratching. Backwards up their fur, the whole deal. The scent should confuse them and make them both a little less territorial.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

This would explain why one of the two cats we have, without fail every morning, will bat her sister upside the head if she wanders near while my mom is preparing their breakfast.
    Our cats are the same way. When it's supper time they smack each other because it's somehow the other cat's fault I haven't put the dishes on the floor yet.
    They also fight each other whenever a stranger cat shows up outside the window and pisses them off.

They have problems with misdirecting aggression.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Kilgore TroutKilgore Trout Registered User regular
    I've gone through kittens twice now including introducing new kittens to an existing one. Remember that it's not just about bringing the new cat in, but also helping the existing cat transition to not being the only one there. I'm assuming that both cats are in the same house. Maybe I'm reading that wrong.

Definitely keep the new cat in his own room for at least a week so he gets a safe space. This is generally advised for all cats, but more so if you're introducing him to a home with a cat there already. While the new guy is getting used to his new home, the veteran will be getting used to the smell of another cat. If you can put two doors between the two that would be ideal (though not necessary). Once he is settled in, you can let the two interact from opposite sides of a door for a day or two.

After that, definitely supervise the first few visits and keep them timed so neither cat is overwhelmed by the new interloper. They will either get along or learn to leave each other alone. As other posters have said, hissing, spitting and pawing at each other is normal, just keep an eye out for anything that gets out of hand. If somebody steps out of line, move him back to his safe room to settle down.

At the end of the day, cats are social animals so there shouldn't be any real problems. It's just a matter of easing the transition.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    As other posters have said, hissing, spitting and pawing at each other is normal, just keep an eye out for anything that gets out of hand. If somebody steps out of line, move him back to his safe room to settle down.

Yeah, hissing, spitting, and slapping happen all the time. Growling, however, is a sign that shit is about to get real.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Different cats can also behave in weird ways. Your kitten might hide under something for days or immediately demand more rooms to explore. Be flexible in what you offer him.

Has he been socialized with any other cats before?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    If you've never seen one of your cats (or any of your pets, really) get seriously aggressive before, youtube videos are really helpful for learning the difference between play-fighting and actual fighting.

Although if an animal's genuinely afraid, it's usually pretty clear. Like the "I don't like this" noises change noticeably, and get MUCH louder.

• Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    New cat has lived with several of his siblings + mom (so at least like 3 other cats?) his whole life. Old cat was with her siblings until she was about... 4 months? at which point we got her and she has not interacted with any other cats. I've been told new cat has generally played peacemaker with all the other cats he lives with, so if one starts acting crazy he just puts a paw on them until they calm the hell down.

My current plan is this:
    - New cat goes into my room with food/bed/litter box so he can chill on his own for a while and calm down from the stress of travelling. Old cat is not allowed in my room anyway.
    - Old cat will probably sniff at my door anyway because she always wants in there, so I'll let them talk at each other through the door from a bit
    - I'll bring toys or towels or bedding or whatever with each cat's scent on it to where the opposite cat is so they can sniff at stuff
    - Once new cat seems a bit more settled I'll let him out into the living room and see what happens, and then adjust from there (ex if they start fighting then going back to a more gradual process)
    - Help the process along with Feliway spray to keep the kitties calm

New cat's owner is going to be staying for a couple days so I feel like this might help ease the transition. Also, old cat seems to get used to people really quickly (like she's afraid for a bit but if you ignore her for about 15 minutes she starts wandering out, and after 45 she's climbing all over you). I don't know if this same behaviour will carry over to another cat.

Pics to come soon.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...