As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Last miniute trip advise sought - must see in and around Cambridge(UK)?

BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
I'm going from Copenhagen to the UK for a week starting out this this Monday and if possible please give me pointer on what to go see while I'm there.

My main reason for going is to visit a friend that lives just outside Cambridge and the plan is that while catching up we will also be doing the tourist thing. A car and bicycles are available so transport is taken care of.

On the short list so far is:
  • Visit an Air Museum.
  • Find good classic English food - and drink(maybe find a good Pub that does is right(Any suggestions on Cider?).
  • And good food in general. It's not that we don't have it here in Copenhagen, but I imagine there must be great Ethnic restaurants in England.
  • Get a feel for Cambridge.
  • A day trip to London. This will most likely be for the British Museum and also simply to check out the city architecture (For instance I'd like to see the Cucumber).
  • Maybe a technical/engineering museum or something. I'm still to work out what.

Unfortunately the weather looks to be rather miserable for at least some of the days, but that is just an excuse to see more things 8-)

Bones heal, glory is forever.

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    During your trip to London you should check out Borough Market if its on a Thursday through Saturday. Awesome food. If you're looking for 'ethnic restaurants' there are tons of award winning curry houses on Brick Lane that are amazing. Most of them will even barter a discount/free drinks with you outside before you go in, if thats something you're interested in.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Cambridge isn't really much of a tourist locale... Really the only "touristy" thing to do there is to go river punting, which means you pay some poor uni student to push you in a tiny row boat. It's kind of like Venice, except cheaper and with no cheesy costumes or singing.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Air Museum - I assume that's IWM Duxford. I haven't been, but the Imperial War Museums are a safe bet in general.

English food and booze - you're spoilt for choice with pubs that do food. My favourites are The Hopbine, The Cambridge Blue and The Pint Shop. If you see a pub that's owned by Greene King, they will have a standard menu which is good and varied, but not necessarily out of this world.

Getting a feel for Cambridge will involve going into the historic city centre to see all the frontage of the colleges - it's exam term right now so they're stricter about letting you in. There's also plenty of shopping if you like expensive places.

There's a Cambridge Museum of technology on the river, which is a lovely walk from the city centre.

For ethnic food, my favourite curry house is The Curry Queen.

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    Cambridge isn't really much of a tourist locale... Really the only "touristy" thing to do there is to go river punting, which means you pay some poor uni student to push you in a tiny row boat. It's kind of like Venice, except cheaper and with no cheesy costumes or singing.

Or you could just do the punting yourself -- it's not all that hard, you will just probably get wet arms. (I was at Oxford so imho Cambridge punts from the wrong end, but even given that, it's pretty easy and not something you'll get to do in many other places).

The Museum of Archeology and Anthropology has (really really) old stuff if you like that sort of thing (Leakey was at Cambridge so they got a bunch of his finds).

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Thank you all for the input.
    I'm back from my trip so I thought it prudent to report back on the experience - maybe it can work as inspiration(Do let me know).

As it turned out we lost access to the car so instead we did everything using bicycles and public transport. Here is what I think could be most interesting to others.

Day #1
    To save on transport time I went directly from Stansted airport to London and with my friend as tour guide we did a walk of the financial district to see the architecture, walked past Tower of London over the Tower Bridged and then went on the HMS Belfast which was fascinating(if a bit claustrophobic at times - best avoided in hot weather I think) . And then on to British Museum, a few book shops, Trafalgar Square and of course Piccadilly Circus. For food we grabbed a little at a random chicken joint and then later ate at "Du Hems" and it was good but not really special.

Day#2
    Rode around the countryside and got a feel for what must be classic England. Bumping into inspector Barnaby would not have been a shock :biggrin:

Day#3
    Cambridge. We started the The Centre for Computing History which was very cool. Not a big place, but very much worth it. After that we hit the old part of town, saw some of the colleges(from the outside) and the Whipple Museum of the History of Science which has some amazing pieces. for instance in the field of astronomy including pocket sun dials and a replica of a Harrison Sea Clock.

Day#4
    Did a 50 mile mountain bike trip (mostly on roads and mostly flat) and spend 4 hours at Duxford which could easily have been five or six hours had we arrived earlier. While at Duxford we not only got to see lots of planes, even with the Amrican Hangar closed for some work, there was also an amazing bonus in that a few planes was actually flying so fx. we got to see a Spitfire do all sorts including loops and low level fly by. Here is a couple of snaps from Duxford:
    jkb1nt5zok4y.jpg
    92xh2qkq55j1.jpg
    cku3akfnkr2g.jpg

At Duxford there is also a memorial for the airmen that fought in WWII (Duxford hosted US squadrons during the war) and the memorial shows an image for each US plane flying out of the UK lost during the war.
    8346158501_311677c51f_b.jpg
    (This picture only show a little of the memorial and thus only illustrates a fractions of the planes lost).

I knew of the memorial beforehand, but seeing was something else - all those planes of which many had a crew of 5 or more. War is a terrible thing.

Day#5
    Had planed to get a classic English Breakfast, but was so tired I instead dragged my self to the airport and flew home. Great trip and while a busy one only the London day was really packed, so there was also time to do thing on impulse and also simply suck in some of the atmosphere.

Best food on the trip was a three course meal at the Merchant House in St. Ives(PE27) and worth mentioning is also that I found people everywhere to be really friendly, be it museum staff, a DJ on a portable Disco on Trafalgar Square or just the other passengers in a train.

Next time I will try an time/plan a bit more. For instance Bryan Ferry has played in Cambridge this evening and UB40 is to play on Tuesday and I would have liked to catch one of those acts if not both.

BlindZenDriver on
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Or you could just do the punting yourself -- it's not all that hard, you will just probably get wet arms. (I was at Oxford so imho Cambridge punts from the wrong end, but even given that, it's pretty easy and not something you'll get to do in many other places).

We were tempted to go punting, but the weather was less than stable so the risk of getting caught in rain kept us on dry land. Could have been good fun.

BlindZenDriver on