As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Reviving my N64

minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
So I've had an N64 system laying around. I'm moving into another apartment and decided with the move that I'll revamp it and use it for party gaming.
I have the system, one controller, and a few games that I'm going to keep.

However, I'd need to get three more controllers and a number of games, including Mario Party 3 Smash Bros, Mario Kart, you know, the usual suspects (and I'll welcome suggestions too!).

My question is, is there a seller where I'd be able to acquire these things for not too ridiculous prices? I went on eBay and controllers seem to be ~$10 a pop, which isn't bad at all, but the games are $30+ which..isn't ideal for such an old system, but isn't surprising either. I just wanted to know if anyone knows of any reputable sources where old system accessories and games can be purchased at fair prices.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Locally there is a place called Bookman's, but that may only be an Arizona thing. I'd check around at like, old record stores, book stores, swap meets and flea markets. Call a local Gamestop and see if they have any leads, perhaps? I heard somewhere they are possibly getting into the "vintage game" market, but I don't know if that's true or what it really means for them as a business.

I recently found my old N64 but the only games I had with it were Starfox, Goldeneye, Ocarina of time (not even a gold cart) and Bomberman. Which is fine, because the only N64 game I still really want to play is Starfox.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Game stop, though often reviled, is starting a refurbished original controllers and games soon.

As an alternative, Amazon has both original controllers which can be expensive or knock-offs that vary in quality.
    Here is a mixed reviewed third party one
    Here's the original for around $15-20 used
    They have most colors around $20-25 but make sure the seller you buy from has a good review score so you get a good one. Amazon also has a badass return policy.

As for games I would look for local used stores. Online stores tends to gouge for games like Mario Kart and such. Upon a quick google I found this : http://www.dkoldies.com/n64-games/
    $60 for Mario Kart is actually what I would expect to pay but Mario 64 can be had for like $5 elsewhere.
    They also have classic controllers for $35.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Also something to consider is whether or not you have a CRT TV to hook up to. You can buy composite to HDMI converters as well but make sure to read reviews because I got burned trying to buy a cheap one.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Pawn shops

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    minirhyderminirhyder BerlinRegistered User regular
    Also something to consider is whether or not you have a CRT TV to hook up to. You can buy composite to HDMI converters as well but make sure to read reviews because I got burned trying to buy a cheap one.

I've had it hooked up to a flatscreen through the existing composite cables and it was fine. Not sure how it'll play with the current TV, but I'll have to figure something out.