As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me Star Wars comics/graphic novels!

RendRend Registered User regular
edited May 2015 in Help / Advice Forum
So, with a combination of the new movies coming out soon, and also soon to be starting a Star Wars: Edge of the Empire game, my excitement for the Star Wars universe has been renewed, and I was hoping to inject some more of the verse directly into my veins via comic books or graphic novels.

So, recommend me some good stuff. Highest priority is that it's good, though my preferences are:
1. Available online, preferably through Comixology, but any storefront will likely be alright.
2. Not starring the core cast. I love me some Luke, Han, Leia, etc, but I want to see the B and C-list cast, or even (especially) original characters. What I really want is to read the universe, as opposed to, like, the Star Wars version of a superhero comic.

[EDIT] Additional bonus points if the series in question features a HWK-290

Rend on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2015
    Do you want new/current EU, or Classic/Legends EU?

Because there's not a whole lot out for the former that doesn't involve the main characters.

Supposedly the new Marvel series are good, but they're focusing on Vader and Leia.

Have you checked out either of the Old Republic or Legacy series? Legacy was really good, but I'm not sure if it's available digitally.

Edit: or the Tales series which jumped through out the timeline with a bunch of one-shot stories (sometimes featuring Core cast, sometimes original characters).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    I have checked out zero star wars comics so far, so I'm completely open.

Also, a series of short one-shots sounds actually right up my alley. That's the tales series, you said? Would you recommend starting from the beginning?

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Marvel Unlimited has a ton of Star Wars comics available.

There is also a free month promotion that ends today.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I always enjoyed the rogue squadron books. It will be non-canon now, but dark empire was really good as well.

• Options
    lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    I second Marvel Unlimited. Tons of stuff there. Some of it is comic versions of the books.movies, but also lots of other good stuff.
    Rogue Squadron, the Emperor's guard guy series, Old Republic.
    Good times so far.

• Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    read the heir to the force trilogy, by zahn. I actually reread it it recently and it stands up reasonably well to my 14 year old's recollection.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I really liked the Bounty Hunter series with Boba Fett. It had him be saved by Dengar from the sarlacc pit after the end of Jedi and continues from there. It featured Bossk and all the other bounty hunters you see briefly in Empire.
    As a kid I also enjoyed the Young Jedi Knight series which was based on the twin children of Han and Leia. It does feature lots of main cast from the movies and is retconned now but I enjoyed them a ton. Lots of different locales and species of aliens in the books.
    For comics I always liked Old Republic and Legends/Infinites.

• Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    The new Darth Vader series is pretty good so far!