As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New Desk Chair - Suggestions?

APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
Hiya folks.

My current desk chair has pretty worn out its life. I'm looking to pick up something to replace it. I primarily use the chair for gaming or at time watching Netflix, etc. Generally, I prefer high-back chairs as I lean back a lot, particularly when pondering moves (I play a lot of Magic). Budget wise I'm looking to spend 100-150, but could be coaxed up to 200 (US) if necessary. I thought I'd see if anyone had any specific recommendations. Thanks!

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I hate to say it, but you just gotta go sit in some chairs. I like chairs with adjustable lumbar support though, sometimes it feels better with the support while other times it doesn't.

• Options
    CreaganCreagan Registered User regular
    Yeah. A chair is the sort of thing you really have to test out in person before you know if you're making a good purchase.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Look for a used or refurbished Herman Miller. Some of them can get into your price range.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hiya folks.

My current desk chair has pretty worn out its life. I'm looking to pick up something to replace it. I primarily use the chair for gaming or at time watching Netflix, etc. Generally, I prefer high-back chairs as I lean back a lot, particularly when pondering moves (I play a lot of Magic). Budget wise I'm looking to spend 100-150, but could be coaxed up to 200 (US) if necessary. I thought I'd see if anyone had any specific recommendations. Thanks!

Is there an office furniture retailer somewhere near you? You want to look for a "heavy duty" (most office chairs are only 'rated' for up to 180 pounds, the "heavy duty" models are 'rated' for up to 300 pounds and subsequently built much better) ergonomic chair. Go and sit in their offerings and buy the one that feels most supportive. Something like this, but in the States should cost around the USD$180 dollar mark.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'll definitely second the "sit on it at a store first" and then order online. You may also want to see if there is an interior design wholesaler in your area that has a showcase for industrial/commercial players. They usually have a wider range of office equipment available than your general furniture store, and while you may not be able to buy direct through them you can usually browse and find the SKU of what you want and then track it down on amazon.

• Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    Check to see if your area has a Used Office Supply outlet/warehouse near you. When I went, I told the guy what I was looking for, and he led me around their warehouse, and they had hundreds of chairs. These are usually going to be better chairs than you'll find at big-box store, and the prices can often be better.

I'm a bigger guy, and have had problems with the hydraulics on my ($100) OfficeDepot/Max/Staples chair failing, so I splurged one year and ended up with a "Bodybilt" chair from the local used office supply place.

It's been...fantastic. Almost 3 years later and I've had zero issues, it's big, it's comfortable, it adjusts (the only thing missing is the lumbar support pump, but it also knocked $100 off the price, so...)

That being said, I paid a lot more than the upper end of your budget ($600), but I still recommend checking out a used office supply place. They'll have stuff to fit your budget, and I think you'll end up with a better chair for less.

• Options
    BigBadWolfBigBadWolf Grandma's HouseRegistered User regular
    Do you live near an Ikea? I have an Ikea Markus that I'm very happy with. Its got a very tall back - I'm 6'2 and the back's above my head. You don't get as much adjustment as with say, the Herman Miller - just a lever for height and a lever to lock it in position when you lean back.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Just came in here to warn against Ikea if you were gonna go that way. I had three Ikea desk chairs where the system (hydraulic?) that lets the chair sit higher than it's base totally just snapped or something and leaked fluid all over my floor. Returned it twice, just got a full refund the third time.

I'm 6'1'' and 185 lbs.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    I got one of these when it was on sale a couple weeks ago:

http://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-Ergonomic-Mesh-Mid-Back-Office-Chair-Black-TP9000-/product_324021

It's pretty darned comfortable

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog