As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dog Diabetes -

Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
So just found out my six year old dog has diabetes. Had went blind and lost a good amount of weight. Initially the vet was telling me it would cost about $400 a month for the rest of his life in insulin costs and follow up appointments. I found out I could get his insulin and syringes dirt cheap at Wal-Mart and from the sounds of it, the biggest cost will be the repeated vet appointments to get his glucose curve or whatever set up right.

I bought the insulin and syringes and gave him his first doses yesterday which he took like a champ. I'd like to avoid going to to the vet and spending $90 every 10 days just to have them monitor is blood sugar and saw a bunch of different test kits online. Any of you dealing with dog diabetes have any equipment they can recommend? I know I would need to buy the meter, test strips and lances, just not sure how often I need to test him. Some sites are telling me every two hours after a feeding until his next feeding and some sites suggest once a month.

Thanks in advance for the help

steam_sig.png

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I am not a doctor, people or animal. I do work in a healthcare setting.

If you think your vet is trying to scam you, find a new vet. However, I think you are really selling short what diabetes actually is and what management of it involves. It's not like maintaining the ph in a swimming pool. The penalty isn't simply "can't ever have cake again". Managing the blood glucose with insulin is a part of treatment, but there are other things that need to be taken care of. Diabetic Neuropathies, Peripheral Vascular Disease, Kidney Disease or Renal Insufficiency. There are things that need testing you can't do with an accu-check strip at home.

It sucks, and it may be expensive at first, but don't shortcut this stuff. If the dog has already gone blind there's a lot more going on than being sleepy or having weight loss. Things that can cause real discomfort or outright agony. Its kind of up to you where you draw the line at quality of life benefit vs cost of care, but don't discount the severity of possible symptoms that would come with just using insulin and quasi-managing blood sugar.

Sorry for your situation, perhaps get a consult with a new vet and work out a full plan of care and sit down and really think it through.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Some sites are telling me every two hours after a feeding until his next feeding and some sites suggest once a month.
    The sites are probably both right. If you are measuring day-to-day blood glucose necessary to figure out how much insulin to give, you should absolutely be doing it after his feedings. If you are measuring Hemoglobin A1c (HA1c), which is a general measure of how well glucose control has been over a month, you should be doing that every month. These are different measures for diabetes management.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Seems to be more going on then my vet was initially telling me. They wanted to charge me another appointment fee just to show how to give my dog the shots. Kinda seems like they are trying to nickel and dime me here, I may need to look into another vet to see what I am getting myself into

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Seems to be more going on then my vet was initially telling me. They wanted to charge me another appointment fee just to show how to give my dog the shots. Kinda seems like they are trying to nickel and dime me here, I may need to look into another vet to see what I am getting myself into

I've experienced what seemed to be borderline predatory exploitation of how much I cared about a pet before. Excessive follow up appointments and such have had me finding a new vet after moving to an area. Especially with exotics. (I had chinchillas)

Where are you located? Maybe someone else has a recommendation.

• Options
    Phoenix area

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote: »

I've experienced what seemed to be borderline predatory exploitation of how much I cared about a pet before. Excessive follow up appointments and such have had me finding a new vet after moving to an area. Especially with exotics. (I had chinchillas)

Where are you located? Maybe someone else has a recommendation.

charging for teaching you how to give shots and check blood is par for the course. they are taking the time that could be served treating/seeing patients to train you how to properly do a procedure on your dog.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    I'm not a vet but my mom's dog has had diabetes for several years. Once the blood sugar and the dogs weight stabilized, the vet visits became fewer. But she's been very very strict about making sure the dogs blood sugar is entirely predictable. The dog eats at 6:30am and 6:30 pm every day with no treats, and goes on walks around the same times every day also. Dog diabetes isn't like human diabetes with the frequent testing because you have total control over many of the factors that affect a dogs blood sugar. I think you should talk to another vet.