As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Debate: do we deserve a TV thread?

ThirithThirith Registered User regular
edited June 2015 in Debate and/or Discourse
I know the moderators have discussed this and rejected the idea, for reasons that cannot be dismissed outright. If they decide that this has been considered and decided on and there's no call for further discussion, the thread should be deleted, and when you read this I've already notified them that they may want to do so. If not, though, I'd be interested in hearing people's opinions.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
"Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
Thirith on

The Great Debate: do we deserve a TV thread? 5 votes

Yes, I would very much welcome a TV thread
40%
ThirithKamar 2 votes
Yes, I would welcome a TV thread but I have doubts it'd work
0%
No, I don't think there's enough interest for a general TV thread
0%
No, I think a TV thread would fail due to rampant spoilers
20%
Dunadan019 1 vote
No, for other reasons
40%
Juliusdavidsdurions 2 votes

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2015
    Yes, I would very much welcome a TV thread
    I know that there are people here, myself included, who would welcome a TV thread that is pretty much analogue to the movies thread - a thread that isn't dedicated to one, probably new series, but to TV series in general. A thread were people can ask for recommendations and opinions, discuss their favourites from when they were kids, where documentaries and soaps are fair game as much as sci-fi, legal drama or '80s comedy. Let's face it: it's unlikely that individual threads dedicated to, say, Danish political drama Borgen, French supernatural mystery Les Revenants, UK sitcom Coupling or US classic Peyton Place would generate much activity - but, like the movie thread, in aggregate there's likely to be enough to keep such a thread alive and interesting.

What's the main argument against it? Spoilers. It's already difficult enough to police the movies thread or individual series threads, and people often get spoiled by accident or due to carelessness. The mods are probably right that this is much more of a risk if any and every TV series can be brought up at any time. Added to this, people have very different ideas with respect to what is a spoiler and what isn't. One person's "Remember the storyline when Murphy became pregnant and got into a vendetta with Dan Quayle?" is another person's "Thanks, you've just ruined that whole season for me." I'd like to think that common sense, decency and a bit of thought would suffice, but then I don't mind spoilers, so my own standards are likely to be very different from other people's.

Anyway, enough blah on my part. What do people think? Is there enough interest for a TV thread? How could this work in practical terms? Is there enough goodwill to find out how to handle the spoiler situation without driving 90% of the mods and admins to sui- or homicide? Is this one of those nice ideas that would descend into the forum equivalent of Lord of the Flies or The Walking Dead?

P.S.: And yes, this is partly an attempt to get the admins/mods to reconsider. If they think this is done in a disrespectful way, unhelpful or otherwise obnoxious, I bow to their judgment and will never bring this up again myself.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    This was absolutely not the way to raise this subject. PMing the moderators or administrators or starting a discussion in Tube's Circous would have been infinitely better options almost by default. The D&D forum is not a forum for discussion of the D&D forum and on a personal level I am certainly less well-disposed towards a 5am thread that amounts to MODS ANSWER PLZ, however nicely put.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    For the record, if a moderator gives up their time to explain something to you and you proceed to totally fucking ignore them because you didn't get your way, you're being kind of a shithead.

This discussion has been closed.