As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Windows/Active Directory] Certification/Training Recommendations

NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
Hi G&T! I'm six months into my current job so I finally have some concrete view of what my specific duties and contributions are, so I'd like to start looking into certification study so I can reinforce my existing knowledge and be prepared as we move into new tech in the coming years, plus learning is fun!

Some background: I have 10+ years in windows/Active Directory environments under my belt, with a big focus on SCCM and lite touch operating system deployment in the last 5-7, including my current role heading up our operating system deployment projects. Most of my knowledge would be "on the job", with some book knowledge gained now 10 years ago when I was breaking into the industry. I am CompTIA A+ and Security+ certified currently.

Are there specific courses (Microsoft or otherwise) that you would recommend? Off the top of my head, I feel like taking some PowerShell and Windows 10 would be useful knowledge; it's difficult to penetrate the Microsoft certification site though, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for.

Nullzone on

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Going to anything that leads up to the MCSE, which consists of multiple certifications (like MCP), is a good target. If you feel like pulling teeth, there are always the Cisco certs.

Keep in mind that these certifications are basically good on paper and aren't guaranteed to get you a job; you'll get your foot in the door, but will need to prove that you can work in the environment they throw you in to. Experience usually trumps a certification.

FYI: you can toss this in the sysadmin thread. We've talked a lot about this in there and some of the people in that thread are wicked helpful with what are useful certifications for whichever direction you want to go in.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.