As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RECTIFY Season 2 Finale: "You promised me that I could go home."

Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
edited August 2014 in Debate and/or Discourse
IdurVVE.png

Rectify is a drama currently airing on the Sundance Channel, a newly-formed network attempting to cash in on that AMC/HBO prestige drama popularity, and is directed by Ray McKinnon (Deadwood). Rectify is currently its most acclaimed program, and upon the completion of its first season last year, was hailed as one of the best shows of the year, if not the decade so far. It's an incredibly, audaciously slow-burning show, which may tempt viewers to stray. However, its cinematography, artistry, and sheer emotional magnetism of the majority of its acting performances are enough to keep you enthralled. It's also so emotionally gripping that you'll probably cry at least once.

Rectify follows Daniel Holden (Aden Young), a 35-year-old prison inmate who is released from his death row stint after 19 years upon authorities finding inconclusive DNA evidence tying him to the crime: The murder and rape of his 16-year-old girlfriend Hanna. Even in the second season, details of what really went down have remained sketchy, and that is to the show's benefit as it leaves us putting the pieces together. Much in the vein of Enlightened, another underwatched and extremely critically acclaimed prestige drama, Rectify is meditative and despairing, but ultimately hopeful and optimistic; it's perhaps the most optimistic show on television now that Enlightened has been canceled. The show will often focus on Daniel simply reconnecting with a world that has changed a lot since his incarceration, be it laying in the grass and feeling earth beneath his toes, to being in the sunlight. But that isn't what the show is ultimately about. Rectify focuses a lot on redemption, and how hard it can be for those around us to truly forgive us, or come to terms with our mistakes. The show primarily takes place in the small town of Paulie, Georgia, where tensions have been high towards Daniel Holden, with many believing that even though he had been released that he's still guilty. Life outside prison is in a way its own prison for Holden. The show also frequently goes into small vignettes of his time in prison, from his close friendship with cellmate Kerwin, to his torture by another, and what turned him into the eccentric, broken man that he is today.

The show is also unique in that it analyzes and discusses Christianity without choosing a side, much like all of its political inquiries. It simply presents both sides of the issue and lets viewers interpret it for themselves. In many ways, the show is thematically similar to Friday Night Lights, in that the town itself is its own character in some ways, and that distinctly influences how many of its citizens react to Holden's release. I highly recommend this show, and the first season is available on Netflix. Season 2 is currently airing Thursday nights on the Sundance channel, and just finished its season. It has been renewed for a Season 3 to air in 2015.

Characters

6CJADs3.jpg
Daniel Holden (Aden Young)

The incarcerated-turned-free-man Daniel Holden is played by Aden Young, turning a Bryan Cranston-level performance in his soulful eccentricity. He is broken, and prison had put him through so much that the man he is now is hardly recognizable from whatever he'd been as a child. His attempt to navigate a world that he thought had been forever barred from him is amazing to watch. Damien Echolls of the West Memphis Three described this show as a pitch-perfect representation of his own incarceration and subsequent release, and touted it as, "one of the few shows that gets it right."

2Iey4oV.jpg
Amantha Holden (Abigail Spencer)

Daniel's sister. She's fiercely loyal and protective of Daniel upon his release, she is his most trusted ally. However, her stubbornness and willingness to fight for Daniel no matter what sometimes put her at odds with friends, family, and loved ones as she attempts to try and help Daniel adjust to life outside bars. Can sometimes be seen as overbearing, but her loyalty to Daniel is unquestionable.

XGrZJl7.jpg
Ted Talbot Jr. (Clayne Crawford)

A brother-in-law of Daniel's, he became a part of the family after Daniel's father died and his mother remarried. His father owns a tire store where Ted works. Daniel's release has pushed him out of the prodigal son spotlight, and his bitter resentment towards Daniel while not fully believing his innocence causes frequent friction between him and Daniel.

Yqx5GeR.jpg
Tawney Talbot (Adelaine Clemens)

Tawney is Ted's extremely spiritual Christian wife, who feels like she should be able to save Daniel after his release, and guide him to a better path. She may not be fully prepared for just how broken and hurting Daniel is, however.

FqjgAar.jpg
Jared Talbot (Jake Austin Walker)

Jared is Daniel's younger brother in law, and was not around when Daniel was sent to prison. He's innocent in this respect, and spends the little screen time he gets per season to connect and care for Daniel, but as tensions rise in town, he may be forced to distance himself from a family that is seemingly at odds with everyone else around them.

jcz4QlB.jpg
Janet Talbot (J. Smith-Cameron)

Janet is Daniel's mother, and is also quite protective of him, but at the same time does not want to stir the fires of the hatred against Daniel like Amantha does.

If you like critically acclaimed and emotionally heavy dramas, Rectify is in your wheelhouse.

Zephyr_Fate on

• Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    This is one of my favorite new shows. I've had a hard time trying to sell people on it and getting them to watch, though - I get that a slow burn character study is hard to generate interest in, but it's so good. Wish more people would check it out.

• Options
    It's really good. The Daniel/Tawney and Daniel/Ted scenes in the second episode of season 1 are some of the most beautifully haunting dramatic conversations I've seen.

"What was real to you, Daniel?"

"The time in-between the seconds."

• Options
    A friend of mine who is a writer sometimes and speaks in a very poetic manner generally -- i.e., a very creative soul -- I recently persuaded to try the show out and he fell in love with it the moment he saw the cinematography since he has a strong journalism/video production background. Then he got into the conversations, and the writing. And he's been sold ever since.

• Options
    Daniel's weirdness continues to escalate.

• Options
    Things are kicking into high gear now.

• Options
    The end of this episode...Jesus.

I wish more people would watch this show. This thread makes me sad. I know this isn't exactly the type of show that's going to be gathering massive amounts of pages and comments (and I haven't exactly been contributing any sort of discussion myself; I find it kinda hard to put into words how I feel about what's happening), but I wish there was some indication that more people were checking it out.

• Options
    I cried at the end of the last episode. And we still have two more to go :(

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    Binge-watched the first season yesterday. What a great show. Like Twin Peaks by way of Sling Blade.

S1e5 is one of best episodes of television I've seen in a while.

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    Ah yeah, the goat man episode. Fantastic.

• Options
    Drip, drip...

• Options
    That Ted/Tawney scene oh my fucking god

• Options
    Update to say that this has been renewed for a season 3, and it will be shorter. Here's hoping it goes back to the artsy existentialism of S1.

• Options
    Absolutely mind-blowing finale. Season 3 come on!

• Options
    Man, I'm so glad they announced the renewal before the season finale - the wait for a renewal (or worse, its cancellation) would have been excruciating after everything they threw at the audience at the end.

• Options
    Season 3 starts tomorrow. Get ready, one other person in this forum that watches Rectify!

Also, it already got renewed for Season 4: http://deadline.com/2015/07/rectify-renewed-season-four-sundancetv-aden-young-1201472350/