As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[3:16 Carnage Among The Stars] What is this game really like?

You Don't Meet In An InnYou Don't Meet In An Inn Registered User new member
I recently heard about this game when I asked Vincent Baker (the creator of Apocalypse World) why AW is post apoc when all the hacks show that its engine fits just about any genre. Baker replied that it is post-apoc as an answer to 3:16. I had never heard of 3:16 before but all I can find about it is that you go into space and kill aliens. That's not especially eye opening in terms of rules or innovating lore.

Then I saw 3:16 mentioned in the main RPG thread and I figured there must be some posters here who know more details about the game. So what do I need to know about 3:16 beyond that you kill aliens in space?

Welcome to You Don't Meet In An Inn where your hosts Christine and Austin look at and play through obscure role playing games.
Currently released shows:
* Big Eyes Small Mouth 3e **** Apocalypse World **** IT CAME FROM SOMEWHERE ELSE **** One Last Job *
* Everyone Is John **** FATE **** Unknown Armies *
* Fantasy Craft **** Lasers and Feelings **** All Flesh Must Be Eaten *
* Fiasco **** FAITH **** Lady Blackbird *

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    My understanding is that the flashback mechanic in 3:16 allows you to define your character but not really define the universe, so it is less interactive with the GM then the various questions the MC is expected to ask in AW.

The post apocalyptic setting takes full advantage of this world building mechanism, we all have an idea of what the words mean but the details of what and where and how everything is, is up to the players.

3:16 is more your characters against the universe in terms of game play, GM does something, you respond, perhaps redefining who you are with flashbacks. Which fits the theme of humanity going out and fighting against all the aliens.

Ultimately most of the good AW hacks takes advantages of this with a good, open ended theme. Both the MC and players can help define the details of the theme in order to fit their character into the world, rather then fighting against it.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    PredaPreda Registered User regular
    I agree with Void Slayer on the main mechanic: the universe is totally in the hands of the GM. The other players are focused on their characters.

But what characterize 3:16 is the setting more than the system.

It's a universe where the human race are the "bad" guys. First they create their utopian world around solar system, than they start to fight the "alien menace". How they do that? By sending away from earth all the people who can't fit in their utopian system and "persuading" them to join a military service that, without the recruit knowledge, is for life. They have come in contact with the aliens, are impure. They can't be readmitted in the paradise. They will taint it...

From here the universe is all in the hands of the GM. He could send you to fight a universe full of sanguinary bastard aliens, making you the proud hero who sacrifice his chance at paradise to save that same paradise, or send you to fight fuzzy bears alien that are sweet and kind and only want to hug you. But you have to exterminate them anyway. Because they are aliens. And because you an all your company will be hunted down as alien lovers if you don't...

The whole game revolves all around character growing in this harsh environment. The fighting mechanic is secondary to the character developement and even force you to develope it (you have to uncover dark secret of your past to get a critical success in the today battle, or you have to uncover a happy one to cowardly save youself from certain death), but is captivating.

It's worth a pair of campaigns, if you like that kind of game.