As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The world of 2D Printing and suggestions on a new Printer.

Hi I have been on the look out for a new printer. I want to do some high quality photo prints to go into a small portfolio, I did look at sending images off to be printed, however costs are way too high and seeing how some of manufacturers are looking at alt was for the consumer to 'save' money on printing I thought to look for a new printer.

So the obvious way is the release of these XL cartridges which is supposed to give you high capacity number of prints rather than keep buying standard carts every time. A number of people suggest these are a way of half filling standard cartridges to keep costs up and are a scam but it would be interesting to see what people think.

HP have decided to offer a subscription service called Instant Ink where they will send you the inks for free and you just pay a monthly fee to print off a specific number of pages. It is supposed to be great for those wanting to use full colour prints like myself but review of compatible printers are a poor- average range and the print resolution is really lacking compared to other companies.

Epson have gone the route of Eco Tank a system where you fill the inks directly from the bottle instead of using cartridges. The idea is that you get 70ml of ink instead of the usual 5-6ml in a standard cartridge and can print off upto 6500 pages. I actually purchased the L355 Eco Tank 24 hours ago and I was impressed for the first 4-5 prints until the whole think refused to work correctly since. A number of reports online have suggested that these printers are fickle at best and reports of a number of issues surrounding the ink system not working correctly and constantly having to be cleaned (2-3 times a day). I have returned mine and have offered to order a replacement which if there is no better I might jump on.

Canon have decided to do a great big fuck you to the customer and gone full on for quality of prints where we need more and more cartridges to replace. Its now pro line are offering an incredible 12 ink cartridges to run. Even on XL inks that could be a very expensive proposition to keep replacing even if you will be getting 'Gallery' quality prints as they say.

I will be using a combination of high end glossy and matte photo paper to print on so make sure can get the best image quality possible. But I am at a bit of a loss as to what to look for in a printer. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I would go with a good color laser printer, like an HP Color LaserJet Pro 400 printer. You will give up some quality, as 4 color laser prints will never rival 12 color ink prints, but the prints will still look very good, when printed on the proper paper. Plus laser toners last a long time, and never dry out, so the cost per print is pretty cheap.

iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    Thank you for the reply, However I can't really go for colour laser printer, I need a higher pigment quality.