As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dummy Ram blank?

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
Hi,

I have a laptop that developed a problem with one of its ram bus slots. It has 3 slots, and unfortunately it was the middle one that was causing issues. I removed the stick of ram and the laptop works well now (well slower but well enough). However occasionally due to the design the lack of a middle ramstick causes one of the other sticks to fall out of its slot. Is there such a thing as a ram stick that does nothing that would trigger the bus problem but fill the gap?

Thanks

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I haven't heard one one of these since the days or RD RAM. Oh Rambus, may you forever smolder in a small corner of hell.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    couldn't you just shove a piece of cardboard in there to fill the space?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Non-conducting tape?

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Didn't Rambus actually require the Continuity RIMM in there anyway to pass the signal through? A quick google search shows some results from various random places for as low 5-6 bucks.
    You might also check on the Ars Technica subforum Agora Classifieds. They have a thread there for freebies where people with spare random stuff that isn't worth selling just give stuff away. Someone there probably has been hoarding some RIMMs.
    I had to some actual RIMMS once at my previous job to give a memory upgrade to an aging PC and it was heinously expensive for the capacity.
    Oh Rambus, may you forever smolder in a small corner of hell.
    Indeed.

fakeedit: Damnit, I just remembered I had 2 continuity RIMMs I'd taken out of that computer on my desk there for like 2 years that I used to occupy my hands while browsing the web or whatever. They're probably long gone now since I haven't worked there in almost 5 years.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Didn't Rambus actually require the Continuity RIMM in there anyway to pass the signal through? A quick google search shows some results from various random places for as low 5-6 bucks.
    You might also check on the Ars Technica subforum Agora Classifieds. They have a thread there for freebies where people with spare random stuff that isn't worth selling just give stuff away. Someone there probably has been hoarding some RIMMs.
    I had to some actual RIMMS once at my previous job to give a memory upgrade to an aging PC and it was heinously expensive for the capacity.
    Oh Rambus, may you forever smolder in a small corner of hell.
    Indeed.

fakeedit: Damnit, I just remembered I had 2 continuity RIMMs I'd taken out of that computer on my desk there for like 2 years that I used to occupy my hands while browsing the web or whatever. They're probably long gone now since I haven't worked there in almost 5 years.

Those old things won't fit into any modern board. rambus ram was keyed differently than SD RAM (the competitor at the time) was.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I know.
    azith28 wrote: »
    Hi,

I have a laptop that developed a problem with one of its ram bus slots.
    I thought he said he had a Rambus pc (supporting an ancient one for work or family or something).
    But I don't think those ever came in threes so it was my misread.

steam_sig.png